Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

PRL's (CDMA)

xIsamuTM

May 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
so I've notice someting regarding PRL's. Signal is great in my store, and whenever we activate a FRU or a new phone, the "default" prl inside it (although roaming) shows a stronger signal than after it downloads the current one. I've been told that the default will latch to a CDMA tower regardless of the provider. any truth to this?

Second question: Is there a way to get a Sprint, or a Qwest or any other CDMA provider's PRL list downloaded to another providers phone. Let's just assume that Company A gets a low signal where company B's somewhat more coherant. Since the customer's phone is Company A, it's going to grab for that tower. Now, can I force-feed a differnt prl that will grab Company B's instead.

Reason: Where I live Qwest ha...
(continues)
krickt

May 17, 2006, 12:47 PM
I know that USCC's prl's can't be changed in a store, that they have to go to tech to get changed. There may be a way to do it, but they don't let us lowly agents in on that secret.
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 1:33 PM
*228 is a prl update for us cellular, it can be done by anyone, it takes a 50 seconds exactly.
krickt

May 17, 2006, 1:39 PM
I'm confused, I thought he wanted to change the hard wired prl, which doesn't change when you do a *228. All *228 does is update the roaming list and new tower list. To change from one company's tower to another, although theoretically it can be done, can't be done without changing some hairy programming in the phone, and you probably don't want to do it on a whim. That's the part of the phone that gets us in trouble when people bring phones from other companies and want us to put them online. Even if they are unlocked, they end up reverting to the orignal PRL
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 1:41 PM
It has been illegal for some time to make phones that are set to recognize your own towers before others, especially in times where the other companies signal is better.
krickt

May 17, 2006, 1:43 PM
I always thought so. Customers ask for some pretty semi-illegal things sometimes. Or is the word quasi, or maybe just straight up illegal. Who knows. There are some things I am thankful that the phone won't let me do!
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 1:46 PM
i want to try one phone 2 providers with 2 numbers sometime.
krickt

May 17, 2006, 1:49 PM
That sounds interesting. I know there are phones that can do it. The Audiovox's have a place for programming a second number as do the Samsungs. I have always wanted to try that. I wonder how you would enter it in AIM. I mean except for a few times when the computer screwed up and left an old esn on a line, there isn't a way for a line to have two esn's or have the same esn on two lines. HMMM. Maybe I should as my ex-programmer hubby to think on that.
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 1:50 PM
They all do, in NAM2, it is not that fascinating i just want to try it, nobody would allow it though.
krickt

May 17, 2006, 2:00 PM
Nope, but one day when no one was looking....... (insert evil laugh here)
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 2:06 PM
c'mon, someone from verizon, activate an account for me that i'm gonna cancel in the trial period with my us cellular phone!
krickt

May 17, 2006, 2:12 PM
It would probably be Altell around here. Although the service is crappy, they are at least licenced here. Verizon isn't licenced in OK yet. Come to think of it, Altell and USCC are the only CDMA carriers I can't think of besides Sprint. They aren't in this area either. You can get them in the City or Lawton, but not here.
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 2:16 PM
Verizon is 20-30 miles away altell is probably about 300-400 miles (even though their commercials are everwhere now)
krickt

May 17, 2006, 3:19 PM
Verizon is all over TX, that's our closest Verizon. They are building towers, but they aren't licenced yet. Altell coverage is not the best around here. We are in a pretty good area. USCC blows everyone away in coverage. Cingular keeps selling phones to people in our town, then after about 6 months of service they cut them off. I should say, they cut them off if the phone actually works and the customer actually uses it. If the phone/service doesn't work, they won't let them out of their contract without paying the EFT. It has to do with TDMA usage and Roaming partners. There are only 2 gsm towers in our County and I think less than 6 within thirty miles of here.
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 3:24 PM
you live in that tiny little area in northern texas on the coverage map?
Vox Dei

May 17, 2006, 3:14 PM
It can be done but its hard. you have to know how to program that phone because i don't know how to program another companys phone and my OTA won't do it. But i can put the ESN on an account by setting it as an analog phone...I'm just not allowed to do it. I have the ability to do just about anything i want but most of it i'm not allowed.
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 3:25 PM
yes, it would be a lot easier if i was a verizon customer because us cellular really has lax policies in that area, i activate alltel and verizon phones all the time, but verizon phones have to be programmed under NAM 2 or it will always display roaming.
rosannar

Feb 17, 2009, 3:38 AM
how do you change a prl on an lg voyager?
Tmo Slave

Feb 17, 2009, 1:11 PM
I don't think that person is going to respond seeing as its post from MAY 2006! Go post in the LG forum and NO NECRO POSTING!!! 👿
ESmurf

May 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
Why would you want to show them a different companies signal if it is better? If you're roaming before the PRL Update you're probably on a different tower. I don't know the super techno stuff about when a phone arrives and after activation and such. but I do know showing a customer the signal in the store may be harmful to your sales if your isn't the best in the store but is better somewhere else... Does that make sense?

I do know on GSM you can usually find an option to register w/ a different tower if it is available. I used to do it when I had TMo all the time and it wouldn't work in my apt.
xIsamuTM

May 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
...because IN store (about 10 miles from where i live) we're like the only company that works.
xIsamuTM

May 17, 2006, 12:53 PM
and I want the prl's for MY phone, **** everyone else. everyone knows about Ken Caryl, and whenever a sales rep sees an address around where i live, we'll tell them off the bat (our) signal's gunna be a bit scratchy due to the fact this is all hills with one really large drop in the center.
ESmurf

May 17, 2006, 12:54 PM
ahhh... The only thing would be show them your personal phone (if it's on your carrier) and show them what they have on their own cell (assuming they have one). They should see a difference. I don't know of a way to switch towers w/ our phones here... Sorry.
Vox Dei

May 17, 2006, 12:52 PM
No the default PRL is what ever your providers PRL was at the time of development. Keep in mind that's usually at least a year out of date. Most manufactures don't bother updating the PRL on the line unless they have to do a software update then the new phones will have the PRL at the time of that update.

For the most part there is no way for you lot load another company's PRL onto you phone. If your phone started using Qwest towers then they would have to pay quest for that time. Now saying that i'm sure there are hacks out there but you would probably have to know the master lock code for you phone to even attempt and i don't know of any hacks off the top of my head.
xIsamuTM

May 17, 2006, 12:55 PM
I know it !!! [menu]*72887# to get into the "back door programming"
Vox Dei

May 17, 2006, 12:56 PM
Ya but then it will ask you for the lock code for you phone. That's the programing instructions not the lock code. The lock code is specific to your ESN
granteezie

May 17, 2006, 1:28 PM
xIsamuTM said:
I know it !!! [menu]*72887# to get into the "back door programming"

hehehehehe...backdoor.
alejandro

May 17, 2006, 1:35 PM
yes the P stands for Preferred, It is an update on what companies towers are cheaper, a PRL update is not better for a phone most times, but better for the company.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.