Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 37 replies

new cell phone problem that everyone should know about

cricKet RSR

May 6, 2006, 12:33 PM
Apparently cell phones are mysteriously jumping into water without their owners knowing about it, I've had a couple customers come in with water damage and when you ask them about it they say how did it get wet. When you ask the phone it wont say anything. Just a heads up to everyone out there in cell phone land if this happens to you, you will now know what is going on.
spum

May 6, 2006, 12:36 PM
Something else that's happening is the insurance that people had on their account has mysteriously dropped off their account. They were adament about having it, but apparently the person that signed them up was just trying to screw them.
cricKet RSR

May 6, 2006, 12:36 PM
my God man its an epidemic, better contact our corporate offices 🤣
spum

May 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah. Actually, I think they recently changed production so that little sticker in the back of the phone comes solid red and turns solid white.
cricKet RSR

May 6, 2006, 12:43 PM
lol some people rather consumers i guess they think we were hired and not trained a day in our life
spum

May 6, 2006, 12:56 PM
I like it when they ask your for a CLA or something, you get the right one, then they say, "Are you sure?" I want to punch those people in the face. I actually like it when they tell me it's the wrong one, grab the one they think is the RIGHT one, and come back a few hours later to exchange it for the right one.
Vox Dei

May 9, 2006, 6:12 PM
Whats a CLA?
Jennyboo

May 11, 2006, 2:17 PM
Cigarette Lighter Adapter...aka car charger
Vox Dei

May 11, 2006, 2:22 PM
gottcha
queensyankee

May 6, 2006, 1:19 PM
I like showing them the corrosion on the charging port, and then taking off the battery and showing them their little cell phone lake in the back of their phone. Some of the things they say....wow. The best one is "thats not water" Then WTF is it? Is your phone drooling? 🤣
spum

May 6, 2006, 1:57 PM
Maybe it's beer.
computerking

May 8, 2006, 11:36 AM
Vodka maybe?
Nikoletta

May 8, 2006, 12:31 PM
queensyankee said:
The best one is "thats not water" Then WTF is it? Is your phone drooling? 🤣

DROOLING! Ah that kills me.
i can here me now

May 11, 2006, 5:12 PM
OH NO, the best one i have gotten is....

BOOB SWEAT!!!!!

A ladie's assistant came in to get a new phone because the old phone said -car kit- (wonder what that means). We looked at the phone and said it was water damage, no insurance, not eligible for upgrade, sold another flip phone at retail. Lady says let me see how small it is, i need to see if it would fit in her bar, my manager was looking inside the phone at the time and dropped it on the desk. We figured the water damage had been caused by her BOOB SWEAT.
queensyankee

May 11, 2006, 6:40 PM
A new addition to cell phone epidemics....phones are not charging when you put the charging pin into the headset jack. How I held myself from laughing at this guy, I don't know. He says "the phone you sold me wont turn on", so i plug in the charger to the charging port, and he pretty much yelled at me "thats not the right one, its the one on the side." I instructed him how to properly charge the phone, explained what the headset jack is actually for, and proceeded to go into the back and laugh my a$$ off.
Sholyhit

May 6, 2006, 1:24 PM
I love when people try to return a phone and since we need all the original stuff (box, charger, book, earpeice, and clip) I ask for it. Sometimes I get the whole, "Oh I never got any of that." Right... yuor phone didn't come in a box, and we didn't give you any of the accessories that are supposed to come with it, and you didn't notice that when you got it? Also love when people bring in a phone that's snapped in half and say "Oh it came like that." So you mean you're stupid enough to buy a phone that's in 2 peices and doesn't work?
leamin

May 6, 2006, 1:39 PM
Preach it brother!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
pimpdaddy008

May 6, 2006, 2:06 PM
yeah thats been happening in my store also. I thought it was just here. How come after they had it for 6 months and they want to claim insurance and say they took it out but have not been paying for it they try and blame us? Do you look at your bill and see a charge for it? NO, you havent paid for it for 6 months but you have it. And it came with the red dot on it. Is it just our business or is it in other busnisses? I dont get it. People are all the same no matter where they are in this country. Do they say"oh i shouldnt take it in the shower with me? But what if it rings?

Are you that stupid?

Well cant you just give me one that you have hear and when i get the one from insurance you keep that one? Do you pay me the insurance every ...
(continues)
Sholyhit

May 6, 2006, 5:00 PM
I have had people file claims and get their replacement insurance phones the very next day. I have also had customers cancel their account because they need the replacement phone NOW. A guy dropped his phone in the sink while he was doing dishes, brought it into my store and wanted a new phone on the spot. When I explained how the insurance worked and that if he filed a claim, he would have a new phone within 1-3 business days (it was a monday, so he'd probably have it tues or wed.) and he got mad and started yelling at me to cancel his service, because if he's going to pay, he won't wait. he wants a phone on the spot. I told him that I can't do that so he demanded for the insurance claim to be free. I tell him there's a $50 deductable. He y...
(continues)
spum

May 6, 2006, 5:10 PM
What a douche. I usually make a straight comparison about car insurance and taking your car to a dealer to get it replaced instead of your insurance company. I've only ever had one guy that still couldn't follow me.
Sholyhit

May 6, 2006, 5:34 PM
Yeah I try the whole car insurance thing sometimes. The usual response is, "I bought a cell phone. Not a car."
spum

May 6, 2006, 5:35 PM
Wow. I've never had anyone tell me that before. I'm glad my customers are smarter than yours.
Vox Dei

May 9, 2006, 6:21 PM
Tell them insurance works the same way weither they buy a car or a house or a cell phone.
Mid_Isle

May 8, 2006, 11:13 AM
I've had the people who try to insure the phone *AFTER* its been broken. My comparison is much more blunt:

"Ma'am, you know if you buy insurance after your house burns down, that's a form of Fraud, right?"
Sholyhit

May 10, 2006, 4:33 PM
It is possible with out insurance company to get a replacement if you sign up after the damage has occured. All you do is NOT report it, and sign up for the insurance. Wait 90 days, and then file a claim and say it just happened. Have that happen a lot when people have cosmetic issues, like a cracked screen. The phone works fine, but they cracked the screen, broke off the antenna, etc... They can still make calls, but it doesn't look nice and can lead to further damage/problems.
Mid_Isle

May 10, 2006, 5:03 PM
Yeah, but generally, they're not smart enough to think of that.

Plus there's only a 14 day window to add the insurance after they buy/exchange equipment. Broke it after that? Tough cookies.
krickt

May 6, 2006, 2:10 PM
It is an epidemic! However, we had three phones that came back from Motorola repair with no damage, also not fixed, then when we returned them to them (without them leaving our hands or store) the suddenly had liquid damage. Now how did that happen?
Whitehorse

May 6, 2006, 4:26 PM
Should you HAVE to tell your customer not to use the phone in the shower... 😳
cricKet RSR

May 6, 2006, 4:59 PM
some of the customers dont even know how to power the phones on everytime i sell a phone i make it a point to tell them READ YOUR INSTRUCTION MANUAL

I had a customer come in one day saying their battery was dead and would not charge i turned the phone on and they were like how did you do that. So some people do need to be told i guess lol
xIsamuTM

May 8, 2006, 12:21 PM
I had someone tell me a phone wouldn't charge. I hooked it up, charged just find. since they were geriatrics, I asked them to hook the phone up to the charger for me....

Yep, right in the headphone jack.
alejandro

May 8, 2006, 12:23 PM
they prefer to be called aged-americans.
xIsamuTM

May 9, 2006, 11:07 PM
if you fail the charger test, you're a geriatric.
Sholyhit

May 10, 2006, 6:07 PM
I had a similar circumstance. Had someone who ruined their charger port because they were trying to plug the earpeice into it. Both parts are male, so they jammed it in harder when they realized it didn't fit right. They completely destroyed the charger port, and brought it in wanting a replacement for free. Since it was damage, it voided the 1 yr warranty and the insurance company wouldn't replace it because of the way the person told them about it. They said they were trying to plug the headset into the wrong jack and got mad so they just pushed it in as hard as they could and heard a snap. The insurance company wrote it off as intentional damage. They were real mad.
Vox Dei

May 10, 2006, 6:14 PM
Ah yes. Trying to get the square peg into the round hole...just use a hammer.
Sholyhit

May 10, 2006, 6:43 PM
Like my father always said "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyways."
rockmama

May 10, 2006, 7:46 PM
My favorite was the lady who kept bringing her Treo 600 in because it wouldn't turn on. She came back 3 times with the same problem and the rep finally asked her when was the last time she charged it. She was like, "Oh I need to charge it? Like every day?" 😳 I think customers should have to take a quiz before they get a phone.
crxtreme89

May 11, 2006, 2:12 PM
rockmama said:
My favorite was the lady who kept bringing her Treo 600 in because it wouldn't turn on. She came back 3 times with the same problem and the rep finally asked her when was the last time she charged it. She was like, "Oh I need to charge it? Like every day?" 😳 I think customers should have to take a quiz before they get a phone.

Yea, an elementary quiz! Omg, this is so funny to see you guys vent here. Let's see if I got one for ya.

Another re-occurence is "Sir, do you have insurance?" guys replies "I don't know. Can you look up my account and see?"

There's your answer right there. NO!

Or, "Do you have Verizon faceplates?" I answer "Sure I do. Here ya go." I hand them a...
(continues)
Jennyboo

May 11, 2006, 2:31 PM
I had someone come in with an old Nokia 3588i, basic color bar phone, and they said the screen went out and wanted a new phone. I plugged in into the charger and held the power button, and low and behold the phone turned on and the screen was perfect.

They asked why it mysteriously started working now that they were in the store, and I proceeded to explain to the customer that the phone was dead and therefore turned itself off. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. This is what they said "I didn't know I could turn the phone off and on, I just thought it stayed on all the time"

In our store, when someone comes in like this, we say the customer needs a "wooden phone" because they obviously aren't ready to have a ...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.