Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 18 replies

I QUIT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djdelay

Mar 9, 2006, 10:59 PM
in my head....it felt so good.....one day I'll have enough money to do it for real...... 😛
Fenix1003

Mar 10, 2006, 10:01 AM
I feel the same way, i really really do
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 1:39 PM
Yep. I just have to finish this book and get it published then I can do something obscene and quit.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 5:12 PM
Oooh. What kind of book? Im thinking fantasy fiction as a guess!
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 5:43 PM
Dark sci-fi/fantasy-ish. I also have another more fantasy styled one I'm working on, it's about 40 pages so far *sighs* I never know if they're any good though.
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 6:36 PM
Oooo. I wana read it.
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 6:38 PM
I also want to see what ever it is you do that's obscene that you do (damnit were's my halo smile?)
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 6:45 PM
It will probably involve coming to work dressed as a Ninja with a spider-man web-slinger thing (the silly string ones) and challenging people to a duel. I'm too self conscious to actually go nekid. If they refuse my duel (I'll need to have some plastic toy swords from the dollar store) they'll get zapped with the web stuff. I can run around climbing on the cube-walls and desks and jumping over things until they call the police at which point I will escape out the back door!
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 7:11 PM
Hrm,.. I'll stick with my version of the events thank you. *goes back to his mental image*
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 8:20 PM
Haha. Sweet. I'd still like to see that...after that you can come over to my place and od the nekid thing ;). *whistles innocenly*
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 6:43 PM
*chortles* Me too, so I suppose I should finish it...one day. Actually my biggest problem is that the second one, the more fantasy and less horror style one is part of a 4 book set I want to write and I keep getting side tracked with the other three stories. I'm also OCD in many ways and so for me to write ANYTHING I have to have the ENTIRE world worked out, races, maps, gods (or religions) the government systems in all the countries and why they are like that... did they have a civil war, was there a plague, a famine? What are their primary crops, does the planet have a relatively earth-like tilt and rotation, is their sun about the same or do they orbit farther out on a brighter sun with a more extreme axial tilt so that their seasons a...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 6:45 PM
Ooo...Dont' forget moon(s). How big and how many and how bad does it affect the tides (large moon and big tides could affect things like fishing and transportation)
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 7:11 PM
EXACTLY! Trust me, that's come up. My computer gets mad at me when I start a new book because I eat up so much hard drive space. This newest one, the horror-overtone one is set in the US like present times so a little less difficult to make the basis for but I have to have all the characters all picked out and so that I can picture them, know who does what, why they're doing it and why the baddies are involved at all. *grouches* It's hard becoming a bestselling novelist.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 7:38 PM
It certainly is, I have been trying for years, and still haven't quite gotten it down.
Vox Dei

Mar 10, 2006, 7:52 PM
ya i know what you mean. Everyone's background must me done and all the background on your scene and everything must be completed or you can't even start writing 😛. that's always the hardest part too.
Cunning_Linguist

Mar 10, 2006, 7:10 PM
Well, I've got a little experience in the publishing/author arena. Have you made a synopsis yet? Normally a ten page synopsis of the scope of the novel helps to sell the idea to an editor.

As for the complexity of the world, you may be better fielded answering those questions as you write and one of the things comes up.. i,e; a character looking to the sky at night would be a good time to settle on your moons, stars etc. and just keep it logged in a separate journal.

To populate everything in the way your doing is several books worth on it's own and little of it will come into play in a 300 page novel.

I would like to get a peek at your writing though 🙂
Nikoletta

Mar 10, 2006, 8:12 PM
PM me and I'll send you what I have for one of the books (I think it's in the 20 page range) though it's bits and pieces so it jumps all over the place.

I like to have most everything down so that I can picture what's going on and why it's going on. My example was a little excessive for the two I'm working on as they are both earth-based worlds, I have one story-set that isn't, that's completely alien so I've had to come up with a whole galaxy.

The current synopsis for both books are only a page or two, I need to get a little more in depth with them. I do have a separate guide... my 'writer's bible' for the world I'm writing, that's what makes my computer mad at me.
aemsafd

Mar 10, 2006, 7:12 PM
Nikoletta said:
Dark sci-fi/fantasy-ish.

How much sci-fi versus how much fantasy?
aemsafd

Mar 10, 2006, 2:30 PM
Almost every day I leave work, I think of quitting and how I'm going to do it. Thought of some pretty interesting things. I guess maybe I shouldn't work every single day.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.