Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 49 replies

Anything I can do?

MaryM

Feb 8, 2006, 8:43 AM
Hi all... hope it's alright to post this here.

I have a dilemma that maybe you can help me with.

I've had Verizon cell phone service for longer than I can remember, and LOVE the service, by the way.

I had a family plan (not that it matters) that allowed 1000 minutes of shared service. No problem for years.

In December, due to family illnesses, I went over my minutes to the tune of about $300. No problem - my fault - I paid it. I thought it wouldn't happen again, but it did, and will continue going forward.

In January, I was once again over my minutes to the tune of about $300. I know this, because one of the phones stopped working and when I called for service (the phone was "rebooted"), the rep informed me. This was not the r...
(continues)
dwhitt

Feb 8, 2006, 9:26 AM
Ok, Maybe an option would be to switch to cingular and take advantage of rollover minuetes =P u would save a lot of money. On another note to answer your question, I use to work for verizon and had several customers in your position. I personaly would call in and request the "Larger Plan" to be backdated to the start of the month and saved customers 100-400 dollars depending on overages. I dont think they do this anymore but if you go to an "Agent Store" they can sometimes call in and request things that the corporate store wont do. What state are you in?
MaryM

Feb 8, 2006, 5:40 PM
Thanks for replying. I did go to a corporate store... They said since the cutoff date had already passed, there was nothing they could do, hence the call to the office.

I might have had more luck going to an agent store? Wow! I would not have expected that. I went out of my way to go to a corporate store! Guess it's too late now?

I'm in NJ. Guess I'm out of luck, huh?

In the area that I'm in, Verizon offers the best coverage, so I'm a little hesitant about switching providers.

I really appreciate your response!
The Lost Ramone

Feb 8, 2006, 5:56 PM
not true! cingy has excellent coverage in NJ, we're one of the best, in new york we have the fewest dropped/denied calls among all providers available there. we have almost all of NJ covered too.

plus, with rollover, you can bank alot of minutes, and save an average of 30 percent over other carriers (who let you drop your minutes every month)

cingy loses over 1 BILLION dollars per year to present this feature, take advantage of it!
djdelay

Feb 9, 2006, 2:10 PM
dude.....she said she's happy with her service.....why are you going all high-pressure sales pitch on her on the internet? It's not like you're gonna get the sale.
The Lost Ramone

Feb 9, 2006, 4:21 PM
high pressure? that's no pressure, it's informing the consumer.

high pressure is if i twist her arm to get the sale, and won't let her leave without my product.

'cause knowledge is half the battle! yo Joe!
Phydeaux

Feb 11, 2006, 3:22 PM
Okay, Lost Ramone, tell me this, would Cingular handle an overage credit and differently?

No?

Well alright, then. There's no benefit to the customer switching to another service, it will not help at all. You're currently trying to tout rollover minutes, but it won't make any difference at all because the customer was using all of those minutes and then some to begin with.

Thirdly, Cingular does NOT lose $1 billion a year, that's an exaggerated figure using the assumption that folks would always go over the minutes if they knew they had carryover.

Fourthly, I'm reporting your posts as spam. Figured you deserve a fair warning. Don't -- do NOT -- try to crap out what someone else is locked into a contract for and try to sell them s...
(continues)
CptFarlow

Feb 11, 2006, 3:35 PM
Good call. 🙂
The Lost Ramone

Feb 15, 2006, 3:23 PM
Phydeaux said:
You're currently trying to tout rollover minutes, but it won't make any difference at all because the customer was using all of those minutes and then some to begin with.

excuse me? but on an open public forum, I am allowed to post what i want, freely.

now, aws far as the quoted statement...

of course she is going over her minutes... the solution to that? GET A HIGHER PLAN. for acting as such a super genious of the wireless forum, you sure do miss the simple points.

lastly, my "sales pitch" is not even close to being that, there was no 5 steps, there was no close, there were no probing questions, there was nothing resembling your so-called "sales pitch"

oh, and report my posts ...
(continues)
Insert Witty Name Here

Feb 9, 2006, 2:42 PM
Maybe try calling back and ask for a supervisor. Supervisors (if they're not reps on a power trip messing around) are more willing to help customers resolve issues.

I would mention the in-store rep directing you to customer service and you renewed and blah, blah, blah.

Hope you get it resolved!
MaryM

Feb 11, 2006, 5:38 AM
Thanks, I'll try that today.

Is there anybody I can send an e-mail to? Like a corporate office or something?

And yes, I LOVE my Verizon service! 😁

Gotta tell ya... I'm reading the posts here and LMAO!

I hope you guys get paid the big bucks! You DESERVE it.
Insert Witty Name Here

Feb 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
I don't sell Verizon, so I have no clue about what department to contact to get further help.

I know with Nextel or Sprint that if I have a problem for a customer I can email this escalated help dept and they always help me resolve issues. Just a few days ago, I helped a customer get a $50.00 credit.
kapwww

Feb 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
After reading the other posts...

In Upstate Newyork, anyone (corporate or Agent) is able to back date a change to the beginning of the billing cycle. This only pertinas to the current billing cycle.

As far as "rollover" minutes...the flaw that I see is this: MaryM has been going over her minutes. There would have been nothing to rollover. Also, if someone is on the correct calling plan to suite their usage, they shouldn't have much to rollover. If you sold them more than they need, they'll have plenty to rollover, which they'll really never use. If you sold them a plan with too few minutes...there's nothing to rollover. I would suggest that a salesperson should do their job and help the customer find the correct plan that isn'...
(continues)
The Lost Ramone

Feb 13, 2006, 5:22 PM
Rollover is actually good for people who have spikes in usage from month to month. which is why many customers come to us.

I had a woman use over 2000 rollover minutes in a month, on a 900 minute plan. without this, she would have added 800+ dollars to her bill.

rollover is right for some, but not for all.

uniform usage customers will never need rollover on the right plan. I had 600 minutes, and i never went above 400 on a 1 year contract.
Cunning_Linguist

Feb 17, 2006, 4:21 PM
As a whole, I think rollover is pretty useless. I mean, if you use your phone you use it.. if it's for emergencies it's for emergencies.. Compare it to something genuinely useful like free incoming, or an early nights/weekends limit and rollover just sort of looks silly when you break it down.
Okay, go light this month so you can talk you a$$ off next month!
silentscream

Feb 13, 2006, 6:58 PM
I think Ramone is dead on with the Rollover. It is good for "spikes," but if you've never had a problem, no big deal. As I see it, she would have benefited from Rollover, since it is a 12 month cycle.

"I had a family plan (not that it matters) that allowed 1000 minutes of shared service. No problem for years."

Check out the last four words. Now think about it this way. Say for a year she only used 800 minutes a month, and banked 200 minutes each month. Quick math...2400 rollover minutes. December comes, unexpected family illnes. She currently sits at 3400 minutes (2400 RO + Billed). Goes over say, 1000 minutes. So she used 2000 minutes this month.

Minutes now sit at:
Billed = 0
RO = 1400

January comes. Now she has 2400 minute...
(continues)
Phydeaux

Feb 14, 2006, 2:33 PM
Math may not lie, but salesmen do.

She's a relatively new contract. There wouldn't have been enough time to build up that much "unused" for "rollover".
q-tip21069

Feb 14, 2006, 2:59 PM
i work witha guy name andrew he is really gay.
djdelay

Feb 14, 2006, 3:02 PM
and now the whole internet knows........
katman_blue

Feb 15, 2006, 2:09 PM
I work with a guy named Quinn and I heard he jerks off in the bathroom with the hand lotion that Sylvester got at the dollar store
q-tip21069

Feb 15, 2006, 2:16 PM
i know that guy named quinn i didnt know he was gay, i di hear he had a huge penis though.
q-tip21069

Feb 15, 2006, 2:17 PM
And ya i heard he love to jackoff in the bathroom
katman_blue

Feb 15, 2006, 2:21 PM
This I already know. I dont find it at all odd that the lid to the lotion is always opened, and we're always out of paper towels. Coincidence? No, this "Quinn" fellow just really likes to jerk off.
q-tip21069

Feb 15, 2006, 2:17 PM
and in his managers fish bowl
katman_blue

Feb 15, 2006, 2:21 PM
I took a dump in the managers fish bowl then dumped it out in one of his drawers. shhh, dont tell him
q-tip21069

Feb 15, 2006, 2:23 PM
thats why his station amells like ****. i thought it was jsut him not taking a shower.
silentscream

Feb 14, 2006, 3:54 PM
MaryM said:

I've had Verizon cell phone service for longer than I can remember, and LOVE the service, by the way.

I had a family plan (not that it matters) that allowed 1000 minutes of shared service. No problem for years.

Relatively new? Man, re-read this. Service for longer than she remembers. If she can't remember longer than a year...I don't know. The point is, Rollover is useful, and it could have potentially helped in this situation. I don't see how you can say she's "relatively new."
The Lost Ramone

Feb 14, 2006, 5:49 PM
alot of the time it's just people from other companies trying to slam cingular for no reason.

Give respect where it's due.

I respect Verizon for V-Cast, I respect T-mobile for it's plans, and i respect sprint for it's iDEN phones.

other than that i will never slam a provider unless it is in my area, and i KNOW their coverage, and even then it's not a slam, just an explanation of how our coverage differs from theirs.
djdelay

Feb 14, 2006, 7:45 PM
shiiiiaaaaaatt..........get out o herrr.......we be slammin carrias like doors.
Nikoletta

Feb 14, 2006, 8:52 PM
ooh, Verizon has some phones that make me drool... some of those V-cast phones are YUMMY but I'm waiting for my little pet Wizard to come out on T-Mobile. I'm going to try to sell my Wedding dress so I can afford the phone 🤣 Since I'm divorced I don't need to keep the dress and I'm certainly not going to jinx another marriage by using the same dress...It was a lovely wedding all the same and I'll keep the pictures, not the dress. (It was a $600 designer dress, I'm hoping to get $300 for it.)
djdelay

Feb 14, 2006, 9:27 PM
damn baby.......I'll bet that was a nice dress. and screw the wizard.....get the universal.

http://www2.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1196 »
Phydeaux

Feb 16, 2006, 11:59 AM
"alot of the time it's just people from other companies trying to slam cingular for no reason."

Actually, it's more along the lines of slamming Cingular reps who have been programmed to say that Rollover minutes can do anything along the lines of solve world hunger and cure cancer.
The Lost Ramone

Feb 16, 2006, 12:01 PM
Phydreax, just thought i;d let YOU know, i am reporting YOUR posts as harassment.

if you stumbled upon one of my posts and didn't like it... fine, but from that point you should realize you don't like what i have to say and just stop reading my posts. Following me on the interweb, and griping about how you don't like me qualifies as such.
Phydeaux

Feb 16, 2006, 3:29 PM
"Following me on the interweb"

Wow.

Dude, you made the comment, and I answered to it. If you think you're /entitled/ to The Last Word you've got another thing coming.

I will be reporting your qualms of harassment as harassment.

Then I'll probably be sacked.

Then rehired.

And then sacked. :p
silentscream

Feb 17, 2006, 11:02 AM
Children, play nicely or I'm taking the ball away.

All of this reporting bullsh1t is gettig ridiculous. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Hello free world. Like Ramone said, if you know you don't like his posts, skip them. Just stop this crap.
axess_denied

Feb 19, 2006, 2:15 PM
Rollover is like giving your carrier a loan on the minutes you MAY or MAY NOT end up using. It is wasteful and most people accruing Rollover never use all the minutes, hence they are just adding to the inflated prices Cingular is charging for marginal services.
Scotch

Feb 20, 2006, 1:33 AM
What are you talking about? A quick comparison shows the same minutes, same features, same prices, with the exception that Cingular offers "only" 5000 N&W minutes on its lowest plan, and, of course, rollover.

And, inflated prices on marginal service? While Cingular is widely regarded as behind Verizon in network quality, they are equal-to or better than Verizon in some major markets, like NYC, Cali, and closing the gap in most others.

But if MaryM is happy with Verizon, and she certainly seems to be, I say keep them.
Fiery1

Feb 15, 2006, 5:34 PM
Okay, I've not read all the replies, but, Mary, I'm very sorry - you do have to call or visit a corporate store before the bill cycles - once it cycles, it puts up a wall that you just can't get over. The company will 'backdate' the price plan to whatever you might need that month, up to 6,000 minutes, but once it cycles, that's it. (If you need to drop the plan, different procedures)
Basically, get real familiar with dialing #646 SEND to check your minutes, and call *611 SEND if you're over the plan.

The old plan probably didn't have as good of Mobile to Mobile minutes, either, so you are probably done with changing plans, to be honest!

Thanks for being so nice about it all, sorry it happened.
MaryM

Feb 18, 2006, 9:09 AM
Thanks Fiery1 (and everybody...).

Guess an expensive lesson learned.

My new plan should be good for me going forward.
Sholyhit

Feb 18, 2006, 7:56 PM
Here's to rollover, the biggest rip off/smoke and mirrors marketing ploy ever created!

If I was an evil super-billionaire that only wanted more money, I would have invented rollover. Here is the definition of rollover.

Rollover (row-low-ver) noun: A scam intended to make people believe they are getting a better deal for something they can never use. See also: ripoff, trick, deceive, bamboosel

Here is the way rollover works...

If you don't use all your minutes in one month, any minutes you have left carry over to your next bill cycle. They "roll over" so you can use them if you go over on your minutes the next month. So, in essence, you get rollover if you don't use all your minutes. The only way to use your rollover is to go over...
(continues)
Scotch

Feb 20, 2006, 1:59 AM
LOL So your contention is that it's better to simply throw the minutes away every month and pay overages now and then? I'm not sure what makes you an expert on how many people use their rollover, but it's more than you think.
Sholyhit

Feb 20, 2006, 1:20 PM
I have friends on Cingular and about my whole family is on it unfortunately, and I have customers switch from cingular all the time (at least twice a week) with horror stories. And you don't throw minutes away OR have overage minutes if the sales rep sells you the right plan. If we do our jobs, the customer should have the plan they need and pay as little as possible for it.
Vox Dei

Feb 20, 2006, 1:36 PM
I'm not sure how the market is right now but when i was working for AWS plans went from 400 min to 600 mins. What if your around the 500 min mark? That's 100 min a month rolling over...You have oh say Chrismas come along and you call all your family and friends wishing them merry chrismas or making plans to get together and now you use oh say. 800 mins. Good thing you had a few extra roll over. The roll over isn't much if you don't use them but it is a nice little benifit especialy as your not really giving anything up for them. You can go to verizon and get about the same number of min for the same price but no roll over. If the roll over doesn't cost you anything why not be happy you have them just incase.
dca

Feb 20, 2006, 1:44 PM
So what if its a gimmick. We know its a gimmick, marketing ploy, whatever. The fact was that it was original. An original idea that got subscribers. They all did it. Sprint does it by allowing you to tack on an extra 50mins, TMo does it by offering an insane amount of mins, etc...
The Lost Ramone

Feb 20, 2006, 1:43 PM
i do my job perfectly all day, i log into the phones call timers, find out how long they've had the phone, and do the math to find out how many minutes they are ACTUALLY using. (not 100 percent accurate due to nights & weekends, but it gets you close) I even ask them for a few of their previous bills if they want to get them, so i can check how many minutes they'll need according to their last carrier. after all of the effort and everything telling them they need at least 1350 minutes, they just go with the 450 plan, and come back a month later yelling at me for overages.

we are supposed to "do our jobs" but the consumer has the ultimate power, and we are at their mercy.
Polvo de ajo

Feb 20, 2006, 2:13 PM
🤣 I had a guy come in yesterday for a 3 line family plan, one of the lines was for him, and the other 2 were for his teenage children. it was the teenagers first cell phones yada yada yada. I explained to him that because they are teenagers they are more than likely to use more minutes than he expects, and because it IS 3 lines, and the minutes are shared, he would want at least 1000 anytime.

this gentlemen, after going over the plans for an hour and a half chooses 400 any time minutes (with free nights and weekends). I ask him if he would like to add unlimited text messaging for 9.99 a month to the phones, his sons say yes, he says no. I get the phones activated and before they even leave the store one of the sons is texting and the ...
(continues)
Scotch

Feb 20, 2006, 11:23 PM
First of all, every carrier has customers with horror stories. Every carrier has customers who "do no wrong" and blame everything on the big, evil carrier. Believe me, I've heard them all.

The other replies here all make good points, though. Furthermore, not everyone uses minutes 450 or 900 minutes (or whatever), no matter how good the rep does their job. Some people vary wildly, some are steady, steady, steady from month-to-month. Both of those types of customers can use rollover. The former can use the rollover during the "fat" months, and sock them away when they don't feel like talking. The latter example, might sock 50, 100, 200 minutes every month, but when they have to use the hell out of their phone because a family member ...
(continues)
Whitehorse

Feb 20, 2006, 3:36 PM
The sanity will come later, I'll post now... 😁

I have more rollover minutes than I will ever use. We have had a couple of months here & there when things transpired that caused us to dip into out rollover - nowhere using them up but it sure beats the sheeyot out of paying overages. I have never counseled a customer to micro-manage their plans to be "to the minute," because this causes heartache when overages pile up. If a customer feels comfortable having a cushion of minutes, it may be worth an extra few dollars per month to not have to worry about overage charges on those "heavy" months... 😉
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 3:43 PM
made perfect sense to me, sholyhit is just using his sales tactic on the wrong people.
Scotch

Feb 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
Of course! I totally neglected the piece-of-mind angle...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.