Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

Choices...

Ethel

Jan 31, 2006, 8:29 PM
Ok I have two interviews tomorrow, a bank (which I've done before) and a cell company (which I've done before) I really like both. I think I'll make more at the cell company but it's further away. But, it's closer to a friend of mine a could then spend more time with (which I want to do). But, I have a kid and working at a bank close to home would at least guarantee me Sundays off. But, I could also work out a schedule between my child's father and the cell company to not lose any time with my baby.
I hate internal debate, someone help! I need an outsiders opinion.
Thanks!!
rockmama

Jan 31, 2006, 8:37 PM
I vote for the bank. I think your hours would be more regular--and a regular schedule is more kid-friendly. Are you looking at a commission job with the cell company? Commission is also scary because you can't be sure how much you're going to make every month. I would think the bank would be a steadier income.

Another thing to consider is the upward mobility opportunities in each job? If you wanted to work your way up and get promoted, being a manager at a cell phone company can require a LOT of hours, sometimes 50 a week or more, open to close shifts. But then, I've never worked at a bank! So I don't know if it's the same with them.

I'd go for the bank and call your friend for a lunch date once a week. Good luck!
Ethel

Jan 31, 2006, 8:48 PM
Thanks! From what I've heard the cell company (I heard from a different store but same company) that pay would be the same hourly as the bank starts at (I also have a friend that works at that bank but a different branch) plus commission. I also thought they mentioned something about plan discounts and it's for the carrier I use.
My checks at my former cell company were always bigger than those of my former bank. But when I took the job with my former cell employer I was concerned about the commission being the bulk of the pay. I'm not one who can afford to miss a paycheck.
But you're right the hours would be better at the bank, possibly. I'm quite the workaholic and if it weren't for my baby I'd probably just work both jobs. But then aga...
(continues)
MeAndTheCapnMakeItHappen

Feb 2, 2006, 5:16 PM
My advice to you would be...

If both jobs have about the same base pay, but from the cellular job you get commission added to that it would be better paying and give you a little extra money on the side for your daughter and for yourself.

It might be a bit farther but you will make more then enough in commission to justify the gas being used to get there, and still have some money left to put away for a rainy day! Also since you have the service that you would be selling you could possibly get a discount on your service which would also save you money as well!

Hope that helps! 🙂

Capn

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.