Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Credit Check Anyone???

Crookdale

Jan 30, 2006, 11:04 AM
Don't you just love people that come up, and the first thing they would like to do is check their credit to see if they get approved for cellular service.
You got basically 3 kinds of people.
The basic customers that don't realize that a credit check is run, and they've never had a cell phone before. The majority of the time they get approved.
Customers that have been paying for pre-paid for awhile and haven't tried getting approved and they decide to try running a credit. They are shocked theat they've gotten approved.
And than you get the dreaded, first words out of their mouth customers. "Can you run my credit?" 😕 You just know that it's going to be a Deposit pending...SO, your first thought is, "Man, know I'm going to waste time...
(continues)
Insert Witty Name Here

Jan 30, 2006, 11:10 AM
Actually, as a sales rep, the first thing I want to do if a customer has already stated they are interested in Sprint, Nextel, etc is I ask if they would like to fill out the application.

I don't want to waste my time and theirs by choosing a phone, rate plan, etc and then have them later come back with a huge deposit. I rather run it upfront and then see if they would like to continue.

I love the people who are upfront and don't beat around the bush stating, "I have A-1 credit. A-1. Show me every rate plan you have. Tell me about all these phones. Which one's the best? Did I mention I have A-1 credit?"
johnnybmagic

Jan 30, 2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah, then they come back with a $500 deposit!!!
Insert Witty Name Here

Jan 30, 2006, 11:17 AM
At least I didn't waste 10-15 minutes of my time explaining rate plans and phone features and just ran their credit upfront.

Plus, with it being tax season, we have quite a few more people willing to pay the higher deposits.
Crookdale

Jan 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
I would love to just tell people up front...without offending of course. Well, let's just run the credit check first, than we'll continue explaining what options we have for you. There has been PAAALENTY of times where you just got done spending 20-30 minutes going over everything with the customer and they are ready to get the Bling-Bling phone with a 4-pack of DATA and ALL accessories. dododododododo, dododododo...dadodododo
$400 Dollar Deposit Please... 👿
Granted this location, we have had our fair share of customers that ACTUALLY do pay the Deposit (CASH). Boy, I have to get in the drug business too...
Insert Witty Name Here

Jan 30, 2006, 11:37 AM
It's easy to do that.

Customer: "Hi, I'm interested in Nextel."

Me: "Sure. Just fill out this application for me and when you're finished, just let me know." (Btw, I don't say credit application, I just say application)

*they fill it out and pass it to me*

Me: "Thanks. This will just take me a couple minutes to run. You can have a look at our phones over there *points to the table* and here's a brochure with our rate plans that you can look over. *hands them brochure*"

Me: "Mr. blah-blah, you've been approved with a $50 deposit and you can have up to 2 lines if you ever wanted to add-on."

Customer: "Wow. 2 lines. Well, I was thinking about getting one for my wife. Okay, I'll do it."

Voila. Easy as pie. 🙂
Crookdale

Jan 30, 2006, 1:20 PM
The only thing wrong with that, is that you are running there credit which is not good overall for their credit. You can't just assume they want to go with that particular service. You piss some people off quickly if they ask you, did you just run my credit. I didn't say you could. Your changing the "Credit Check" to the word "Application" You are manipulating the customer to do something they may not want to do yet. Sell the service first, earn their trust, than they will allow you to run their credit. You're not developing a very trusting relationship from the word "GO".
Besides, my message was all about customers not realizing that they are getting a hit on their credit score everytime they run a credit check. The customers in th...
(continues)
dr_gonzo

Jan 30, 2006, 2:14 PM
Being in telesales, my favorite thing is what I call a credit party...somebody calls in, wanting to "see if they qualify" (always a good sign). They come back with a huge deposit. "Oh, well, can you run my cousin Ray-Ray's credit? He's right here." Ray-Ray then has also a huge deposit...you can guess where it goes from here..."Oh, um, well my friend is here, can you run their credix?" and so on...You'd think that they'd get the idea after the first one. 😳
funkymunky760

Jan 30, 2006, 11:28 AM
See that's one of the few reasons why being in customer care is good. The only time I have to do a credit check is when doing a TOS. 9 out of 10 times there is no deposit needed.

Ang
axess_denied

Jan 30, 2006, 12:12 PM
😲 Do you ever get the people giving you that face when they hear they have a $250-$700 deposit for a phone? I have, and the worst part is, all of them KNEW they were going to come back with the deposit. Then they act like they are embarrassed about it, but these people go up and down to EVERY kiosk in the mall, "Can you run my credit?" or "Could you see what it'a cost for me to get a phone cut on?"

Keep it up, I am sure walking ten feet recreates your credit history! 😛
ButtaKnife

Jan 30, 2006, 12:13 PM
Don't you know that if you run your credit a bunch of times in a day it improves your score?

axess_denied

Jan 30, 2006, 12:26 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣

That is like sending in 15 credit card apps. in two weeks! I know I'll get one of them!
Nikoletta

Jan 30, 2006, 2:25 PM
"Get a phone cut on."... I had never once heard that line until Friday. Somebody actually said it. I almost hung up.

I was so pissed leaving Friday... I went to class Saturday Morning and said to my partner "I want to go to the mats" which is code for "Please beat the holy living hell out of me so I can hit you back." He was happy to oblige. We pounded the snot out of each other (I have the bruises to prove it) and the one time we went down I found the wall with my shoulder and head on the way. As I was hitting down my toe caught on the mat and I broke my baby toe (again, I don't think that thing is ever going to finish healing) but I felt much (MUCH) better after class. I came to work today after all!
ButtaKnife

Jan 30, 2006, 2:58 PM
😳

I just cry like a little baby to get it out of my system, but that's just me. Ok I lie, but I thought the image of myself crying in the corner after a long day at work was kind of amusing. In reality, I go home and play video games and take my anger out on virtual adversaries. 😁

Speaking of which... I finally caved in and got WoW. 😢 I'm playing on Thorium Brotherhood (Horde) in the rare chance anyone else here happens to be on there as well.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.