Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 64 replies

No Refund For You!!

craptacularwireless

Nov 11, 2005, 2:02 PM
I got a customer in here the other day who was considering getting a phone. His problem with getting a post-paid account is that he goes to Mexico quite frequently and he doesn't want to have to pay for service he can't use while he's away. I tell him that he can get a prepaid phone, it would probably suit his needs better since he is a light talker. I tell him all the major prepaid plans that are available to him and he says they all seem like a good idea. He's particularly happy with the T-Mobile pay-as-you-go plan.

A couple days pass and he comes in with a phone and tells me that he got a phone. He said his son was using it, but didn't want it anymore. His son bought him some minutes, but he wanted to add more. He asked me if we had a ...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 2:42 PM
way too many people do not understand the difference between the manufacturer and the carrier, like when i ask people what kind of phone they have they say "U.S. Cellular" or another carrier when they have another service, and when i tell them they do not make phones they tell me "well it says it right on the phone"
aemsafd

Nov 12, 2005, 11:59 AM
I simply don't know what you're talking about. I went to the gas station yesterday, and the attendant refused to fill me up with gas. He kept arguing about "Self Service" It's not my responsibility to read the sign. So I go to the place across the street, where the service is better, and ask them to fill me up with diesel. Of course, they do, and it ruins my car, because I'M TOO STUPID TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF GAS MY CAR USES. Obviously this is their fault because they pumped it into my car; even though thats what I told them to do its not my fault because I never take responsibility for my own ignorance/outright stupidity.

Seriously, How is it that people are so ignorant that they don't know what company they are paying money to on a m...
(continues)
computerking

Nov 12, 2005, 12:13 PM
its suprising how stupid people are in this world. A lady crashed her NEW suv a couple towns away from me. She set her cruise and leaned over the seat to tend to her child. She attempted to sue the car company because they were not clear about how cruise only controls the speed of the car.

What ever you do, dont let me get started on how fat people are sueing McDonalds for making them fat. They didnt force you to eat.
Nikoletta

Nov 12, 2005, 12:58 PM
Or suing them because you spilled your HOT COFFEE in your lap and got scalded.
craptacularwireless

Nov 12, 2005, 1:01 PM
Or suing McDonald's cuz your chunky ass likes to eat!
djdelay

Nov 12, 2005, 1:19 PM
The worst is the lady suing the Moscow division of NASA for 300 Million dollars. She says that their testing on the astrophysics of exploding a rocket on a comet has ruined the balance of the universe and forever misaligned her horoscopes.
craptacularwireless

Nov 12, 2005, 1:29 PM
Ha! 🤣
CptFarlow

Nov 12, 2005, 3:49 PM
That happened back the day after they did that, earlier this year...but yes, it is true, and funny.
danclang

Nov 17, 2005, 3:20 PM
djdelay said:
The worst is the lady suing the Moscow division of NASA for 300 Million dollars. She says that their testing on the astrophysics of exploding a rocket on a comet has ruined the balance of the universe and forever misaligned her horoscopes.

You are messing with us right? 😳
CptFarlow

Nov 12, 2005, 3:48 PM
I actually read up a good bit on that. I thought she was just a dumb woman who wanted some money out of the company, but there is more to it. McDonalds-well, at least that specific store-had been setting the temperature of the coffee to be incredibly hot. The reason they did this was so that when somebody got coffee, they would sit down, wait for it to cool down, and finally drink it. You are allowed free refills, but since it took so long for it to cool down, people would either be leaving by then, or they just didn't want to have to wait that long again to have some more coffee. The tempurature was said to be so hot it would burn skin off. The woman did have some pretty bad burns on her legs...
Nikoletta

Nov 12, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hehe. You go to a shop to pick up parts for your car and the dealer says "Well, what type of car do you drive?" You say "It's a Volkswagen." "Alright sir, what model." "I told you, it's a Volkswagen." You don't know if it's even a gas or diesel, so you just grab a fuel filter for a 1975 VW Bug (gas) and go try to cram it into the slot on your 2005 Diesel Jetta... and it's the mechanic's fault?
aemsafd

Nov 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Terrible Analogy. That customer has at least some intelligence. This is what cellular customers say:

I drive a Texaco.
Well, I pay Geico every month.
Can't you just look in your computer and see what car I have?
It looks like that one.

And, of course...
If you don't give me a credit, I'll go down the road and buy a Chevy!
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:42 PM
And this at the Napa store, where they just sell parts.
captainplooky

Nov 17, 2005, 1:40 PM
So let me get this straight.

You choose to help the guy purchase something he can not use. There is a mistake about who his service provider is, which if you had been more proactive in your job may have been avoided.

Now when he realizes that the money he has spent has essentially been wasted for no particular reason other then a simple mistake - you all choose to fault him for getting angry that he could not get a refund?

I tell him I can't because once we generate the PIN number we are charged for the amount of the card.

Oh I see, you can charge people for products that they believe they need, but can't use, only to leave them no recourse if there is a mistake. The icing on the cake though - is yo...
(continues)
djdelay

Nov 17, 2005, 1:57 PM
what you have to realise is that the gentleman told him that he wanted a card for a certain service. once activated, that card is un-useable and un-sellable to anyone else by law (may not have full minutes on it, any future customers cannot purchase). It's like food. Once someone buys a fish dinner at Captain D's and realizes it isn't a Big Mac, should the restaurant cover the cost of that fish dinner??? No. They bought something that cannot be repackaged, cannot be resold, cannot be reused. It is theirs.
ralph_on_me

Nov 17, 2005, 2:03 PM
The customer asked for something which he led the sales rep into believing he could use. The sales rep made the mistake of thinking customers know what the heck they're talking about. After a prepaid PIN number is generated it can NOT be deactivated. The store is billed for the sale, and if the customer is given a refund the store loses money.

Prepaid cards also have an expiration date which begin once activated. The employee could've given a refund (against store policy) and tried to resell the prepaid card to another customer within the next few days, but that is certainly never done without store manager approval.

I've given a refund only once on prepaid, and after that point I only sell them minutes if they physically ha...
(continues)
uscellchick87

Nov 17, 2005, 2:07 PM
This is a good way to cover yourself so that this doesn't happen in the future. I know I could be better about this.
sunvzw

Nov 17, 2005, 7:39 PM
that was just a bad situation. i think that has happened to most of us. i make it a point too now to actually see the phone. and make sure the number works because if it hasnt had money on it for 3 months you have to set up a new number (that pisses the customers off too) and sell a starter card. with my company at least. but pre paid is just evil they should do away with it.
longsleeves

Nov 17, 2005, 7:42 PM
I like prepaid I have a Cingular prepay phone for emergencies. 10 cents a minute $1 a day access fee hardly ever used
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:44 PM
Ours is just 10 cents a minute without the dollar a day 😁 but you have to put the $100 card on to get that pricing... but that $100 won't expire for a year either. 'Course that's only good if you get the coverage!
longsleeves

Nov 17, 2005, 7:46 PM
ours start at $15 and go up at $15 it expires in 30 days $25 90 days $50 180 days and $100 1 year
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:48 PM
25 and 50 are 90 days here, 100 is a year but you don't have that dollar a day fee. we also have a 10 but it's 30 days and comes out to be 33 cents a minutes on that one.
longsleeves

Nov 17, 2005, 7:49 PM
I use the camera more on the phone than anything else and whats cool is mobile to mobile is free and text messaging is only 5 cents a message
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:56 PM
camera phones are fun, we don't have prepaid with m2m yet... that would be nice, our text is free to receive and 10 cents to send.
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 7:58 PM
copycat
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 8:36 PM
Bah, I didn't do it. 😛 and if I did, you can't prove anything.
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 8:11 PM
$1 per day access fee? oh now i know who those poser mobile guys are supposed to be!
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 8:18 PM
What mobile posers? 😳
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 8:21 PM
in the t-mobile prepaid ads, "poser mobile says your out of minutes yo!"
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 8:25 PM
😲 I haven't seen many of their ad's.
ralph_on_me

Nov 17, 2005, 7:43 PM
That's the same with us! I ask them if it's active, then get the phone from them and dial the prepaid refill number. If it goes through to a refill menu it's good to go. There are too many ways to screw up a prepaid refill to really go by what someone says. If you never check it yourself you'll get bitten at least once.
uscellchick87

Nov 17, 2005, 2:04 PM
I have to say I agree with plooky on this. It may cost your company for that card but its the only right thing to do. Wouldn't you be mad if this had happened to you? I'm just looking at from his perspective.
ralph_on_me

Nov 17, 2005, 2:06 PM
It was the responsibility of the person who sold the customer his tracfone service to educate the customer, not the original posters.
uscellchick87

Nov 17, 2005, 2:08 PM
Well you got a point there.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 6:10 PM
I don't agree. Your saying that if some other idiot in a different store gives false or inadequate information and you know that it is false. It's not your job to educate the customer? Come on! What do you think repeat business is all about? Or are you the one to just slam dunk the sale not educate your customer and when they walk away confused. I guess its better for them to call customer care to clean up your mess.
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:20 PM
I think it is also the job of the customer to be aware of what he has, to actually look at the phone... just opening it up/ turning it on, would show the Tracfone logo on the screen, if he'd bothered to pay that much attention he would have know, the fact that he said it was Verizon when it wasn't, shows not only that he wasn't well informed when he got the phone, but never paid close enough attention to notice what his phone said.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 7:28 PM
His son gave him the phone. How hard would it be on the part of the rep to turn on the phone after wasting so much time with customer care after they told him it was not recognized with the VZW system. Not hard at all. This issue is like beating a dead horse. It's all about customer service period and the more I read it does not seem to be a priority of most. I am thankful that the people in my store do not handle our customers this way. I guess that is why we are #1 in sales and service in our region.
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:41 PM
Sometimes when you read posts on here it doesn't seem like the people who are posting put customer service on the top but that's not always the case. We come here to vent. I say some pretty harsh things in here but when I am on the phones it is a completely different story. I'm very good at my job, I try very had to make sure the customer gets exactly what they need. Do I think may of them are idiots? Absolutely, but then I can be pretty dumb about some things too. You can't say that just based on one post the rep who posted it doesn't care about customer service though, we can only work with what were were given.
craptacularwireless

Nov 17, 2005, 7:53 PM
Verizonlady1, when I turned on the phone, it did not say TracFone, all that came up was the customer's phone number. The phone number matches that of the prefix for Verizon service here. I care about customer service, that is why I repair people's phones. We repair water damaged phones, broken LCDs, speakers, ribbons, mics, and we even unlock phones for customers. If I didn't like helping people, I wouldn't have a store to help them. You should see how happy a customer gets when they come to me asking me if I can fix their broken LCD or their water damaged phone and I tell them yes. Then they come pick up their phone and see that it works and they thank me many times over. They even try to tip me.
This customer can read both in English and ...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 7:54 PM
dont bother with them vato, they are just captainplooky's pawns in his twisted game of chess.
craptacularwireless

Nov 17, 2005, 7:56 PM
There you are, I hadn't seen you post all day. Late shift today?
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 7:57 PM
i had a couple jokes in the lounge.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 8:01 PM
All I'm trying to get across is that this has been a mess from the day he brought the phone in. I just personally feel that he should get his money back and chalk it up as a loss and everyone learns something from this. Nothing more nothing less. It's a learning curve. You definitely have different store policies than I do in my store. Like I have stated before all of us make mistakes. No one is perfect. There is a reason we have this post it is to express our feelings about situations and we all learn from each other that is why this is a forum. No hard feelings craptacular 😁
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 8:02 PM
you are a bad pawn!
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 8:10 PM
Forgive me the net-work is back yikes 😳 😢
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 6:05 PM
First off I would like to state that when the gentlemen brought in the phone and showed it to you. You should have realized that the phone did not have a Verizon logo on it and it was in fact not a Verizon phone period. After all of the time wasted in customer care and they told you Verizon didn't recognize it. I think that you owe that man his money back period. As a sales rep for Verizon you know that we have all of our logos on the phones it is your job to educate the customer that is what you are being paid for. Not just state oh another dumb customer. Who is dumb here. Trust me if you are not selling with integrity your reputation will follow you and you will have very short career in this field or for that matter anything you do...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 6:53 PM
Actually, the way it reads is that they customer did not bring the phone itself in the first time, he brought it in some days later. That means the craptacular couldn't have know what type of phone the customer already had and it was necessary to go by what the customer said... that it was a Verizon phone.
craptacularwireless

Nov 17, 2005, 3:27 PM
First of all, our return policy is at eye level where anyone can see it, it even says it on his receipt. Secondly, he came into the store and told me had Verizon, hence I ordered a Verizon Pre-Paid card. I could have ordered him the TracFone card if HE had known it was for TracFone. The card his son had bought for him said TracFone. The guy is not illiterate, he could have read his card and known which one he needed. Another thing, if you go to any other place to buy a pre-paid card, you cannot get a refund. Try it. Even Costco the leaders of we-will-let-you-return-anything won't give you a refund on prepaid minutes or prepaid phones. How do I know this? I worked there. When the agent portal we use generates the PIN we give it to the custome...
(continues)
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 6:15 PM
Well I know how it works and I stand firm it was your job to know your phones that you sell with all carriers. If you sell Verizon prepaid you better damn well know all of there plans!
phatbasstard

Nov 17, 2005, 6:25 PM
Does anyone anyone know what verizonlady is smoking and were i can get some? Also not all phones have carrier labels and even if they did before tmobile had the v3 i had plenty of people buy them from my store (cingular) and unlock them
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 6:32 PM
I'm not sure what your smoking but it is true our phones are labeled and he should have known that and at the very least taken a look to see if it was a verizon phone. He owes that customer money period. As I read it appears to me that you represent yourself as another person who doesn't care about the customer even though they pay your pay check.
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 6:48 PM
It sounded like the cust didn't have his phone with him and was saying it was Verizon. It's not craptacular's fault that the customer didn't know what type of phone he had and just tossed a company name out there. You all are being far too harsh toward him, people should be more aware of what they are doing and what they have.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 6:57 PM
If you read the post in its entirety you will find in the second paragraph how all of this mess started. Yes, the customer lacks in experience but it is our jobs to educate them not take them for a long ride and laugh at their lack of knowledge 😉
ralph_on_me

Nov 17, 2005, 7:03 PM
I think you're setting yourself up for this kind of stuff if you don't check (I've had it happen), but it was the responsibility of the person who sold him tracfone service to explain it to him. If they had, he would've asked for a tracfone card and not a Verizon one.
Shayby

Nov 17, 2005, 7:10 PM
Go to the lounge ralph 😛
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:22 PM
I've read the post multiple times, he says that the customer brought the phone in later and he realized when he saw it that it was a Tracfon, that means he didn't know before. I seriously doubt craptacular would have sold him the card if he had know, or had any inkling that the phone the customer had wasn't a Verizon Wireless phone. You make it personal by attacking him and saying he lacks integrity.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 7:32 PM
It is quite obvious that you have not read the entire post and are justing posting for the underdog 🤣 This is so laughable next please 🤣
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 7:38 PM
verizonlady... you should be ashamed that you have allowed yourself to be turned into a pawn of captainplooky in another one of his games.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 7:40 PM
😁 I know but the whole situation just pissed me off epecially when it comes to our customers 😡
Nikoletta

Nov 17, 2005, 7:46 PM
And, Lady, you're just rude. You come in here and cut other people down when you weren't there to know the whole situation.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 7:51 PM
I would expect that statement from you since you have been called on the carpet for not reading the post correctly Nikoletta. You are intitled to your opinion I just don't share yours get over it girl theres always tommorow. Don't hate me because what I say makes sense 🤣
alejandro

Nov 17, 2005, 7:37 PM
looks like captain plooky has done it again.
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 7:39 PM
Yes, yes he has! 😲 Hello Alejandro 😉
verizonlady1

Nov 17, 2005, 7:16 PM
I agree. However if you read in the second paragraph the first sentence starts out with he brought the PHONE IN a couple of days later and explained his son gave it to him. Now we can lay the blame on the son and say it was his fault for not telling him it was a trac phone 😳 Bottom line it is our jobs to get all of the facts the best that we can. All of us make mistakes. If we do correct the situation and do what is right by the customer. 😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.