Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 74 replies

Can I "gets" a job?

kracing

Nov 7, 2005, 4:34 PM
This happened about a week or so ago, and all the time...

People walk into the store dressed in jogging cloths or like they are going to the club, and "axe if they can gets a job" HE** NO!

I can't stand when people come in and want a job and aren't even dressed or do not have a resume. What is this world coming to?

Anyone else get this???
Caeser

Nov 7, 2005, 7:10 PM
🤣 Had it happen a couple times. Tehe best was this girl who had experience from working at Radio shack, she came in to turn in a resume dressed in a dirty tank top and torn jeans. And she smelled like she had torn off the top of a pack of cigerettes and lit them all up at the same time. 😳
Guess she didn't notice that everyone that worked for us was dressed in a shirt and tie. 😉

It also didn't help that it was my district manager that was working the day she came in either.
ralph_on_me

Nov 7, 2005, 7:13 PM
We get people that apply wearing dirty clothes all the time. We also have people call to ask if we're hiring. Every phone inquiry is told no. If they're dressed like dirt when applying in person, we give them an application but tell them we're not hiring. If they're dressed like dirt when they turn it in, we file it in the trash can.

How you look and SMELL is very important in interviews, which begin the second you walk in the door. If you're not serious enough about a job to give that effort, you don't deserve to get the job you're applying for.
Nikoletta

Nov 7, 2005, 7:48 PM
You really need to be and smell clean just in general. I can think of nothing that is more of a turn OFF than somebody who is dirty, hasn't bathed, has bad breath (and funky teeth) and smells bad. I won't touch you with a ten foot pole!
Caeser

Nov 7, 2005, 8:00 PM
Only way i'd touch people like that is if i were hitting them upside the head with that ten foot pole
lorilicious

Nov 9, 2005, 8:36 AM
LMAO 🤣 🤣 🤣 I'm the biggest clean freak, I don't feel right unless I bathe EVERYDAY! and I love my collection of perfumes, love to smell mmm mmm good! lol I can't possibly imagine how a person can walk around stinking and dirty, aside of job related situations, is just messed up lol
Nikoletta

Nov 9, 2005, 3:32 PM
exactly!
celesticatfl

Nov 10, 2005, 5:04 PM
in some states (like Florida) you only have to be 'actively pursuing' employment and list the places you've 'applied to' on a weekly basis to maintain your ability to collect your Unemployment checks. They don't want to get hired because that would stop the free ride they are getting and interfere with their 'schedules'. At least until the checks stop coming then they might wise up and act like they really want it. In other states there's not a requirement to prove you're looking.
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 5:58 PM
In almost every other state there is a requirement to prove you are looking. And while that would be an awesome "free ride" I would prefer the ability to actually pay rent and eat food at the same time, not the ammount that unemployment actually ammounts for. You have a rather skewed perspective. But I can't blame you, its not like your opinion is not shared with the other half of the country. It amazes me the things people are willing to be cold-hearted about and look the other way on.
GILDAR

Nov 11, 2005, 6:03 PM
Amen...sounds kinda funny comming from a wiccan but I agree with you 100%
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 6:07 PM
i know this is not what anyone is doing (openly) but i am always amazed when people side with the rich over the poor. like people getting mad at lawsuits against phillip morris but the homeless can go F themselves. Car Manufacturers shouldn't be held accountable when they get sued over their cars exploding because those people are "taking advantage of our judicial system" but when a bum asks for a quarter that worthless sack of crap needs to "get a job and stop trying to take all your parking meter money!"
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2005, 6:14 PM
The money that I've made I have earned. Kindergarten through High School was free education, but I have been paying for myself since I was 18. Homeless people have put themselves into their situation by either a lack of planning or not caring. If they are mentally disabled, then they should become wards of the state and my taxes will pay for their care. My "quarters" will stay in my pocket.

I've thankfully never heard of a person call lawsuits against tobacco companies or car makers frivolous. Suing McDonalds over hot coffee is. If someone didn't have the common sense NOT to do something stupid or dangerous they have no business suing anyone when they get injured in that action.

If I sound confusing it's because I'm a libertarian...
(continues)
GILDAR

Nov 11, 2005, 6:22 PM
I think the lawsuits against tobacco are very stupid but the ones against car com. are fine. now i cant see how you can say that about the homeless
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2005, 6:59 PM
I don't find tobacco suit frivolous because for half a century they didn't warn anyone that their product was dangerous when they knew it was.

Homeless people end up in their situation by choice. No child is left on their own until they are 18 (there are some very unforunate exceptions to that). When they are 18, they should have accumulated enough knowledge to support themselves. I have no problem saying this, because I did it. I was not an orphan, but I refused monitary assistance from my parents when I went off to college. That means I paid for college myself as well. There are many tools already provided by our government to allow an adult to succeed, and because of this I don't see homelessness as the fault of society.

That ...
(continues)
craptacularwireless

Nov 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
"I don't find tobacco suit frivolous because for half a century they didn't warn anyone that their product was dangerous when they knew it was."

I see your point in that ralph, but on the other hand, any time you're inhaling a foreign substance into your lungs, you're asking for trouble. Firemen suffer from pulmonary problems because of all of the smoke they inhale on the job. You know inhaling smoke into your lungs, whether it be from cigarettes or anything, is going to jack you up.

The funny thing about cigarettes is that they are legal even though they're known to cause diseases. There are plenty of studies showing the cause and effect of smoking. These same a$$hats in our government are trying to prevent us from using certain suppl...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 12, 2005, 12:45 PM
yeah, like bill mahrer said. someone missed a bribe payment on that ephedra stuff.
craptacularwireless

Nov 12, 2005, 12:47 PM
🤣
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Nov 12, 2005, 6:24 PM
personally, i won't give a homeless person any money either. i feel that the money would truly be going to waste. however, i will buy a homeless person a cup of coffee or a buttered roll from 7-11 every now and again. at least that way i know my money is not feeding someones habit. it may be a little more than a quarter, but 1. i'm not contributing to the drug problems we face in this country and 2. i know at the end of the day that person will feel a hell of a lot better with some food in his belly than a milligram of smack or coke or whatever.
CptFarlow

Nov 12, 2005, 6:37 PM
There is a gas station right down the street where my friend lives. There is always a homeless man standing outside. Always eating something, smoking, and looking really creepy. I am in the area a lot, and it got to the point where one day I was waiting outside for my friend, when he came over and offered a smoke. I took it and we talked for a few minutes. Nothing specific, just weather, the smokes, etc. I went in and bought him a bag of chips. He thanked me, and I went on my way. I wave to him and say hi whenever I see him.

One thing to point out is that the drug problem is different than many people perceive it. Yes, we have people addicted to plenty of drugs, but we shouldn't be arresting them and throwing them in jail. We should be he...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 7:22 PM
So am I, I am not confused. And the tobacco thing is right in the news posts with the mcdonalds under the carrier/manufacture suits for radiation. I agree, But just this last week has left me jaded with the whole oil company profits reaching 9.9 billion for exxon, in just one quarter, making almost 10 billion in 3 months..... Not only them defending it but people defend them everyday. especially politicians talking about how they are just trying to make a dime. I'm just a different kind of person from anyone i guess, because if homeless people ask me for money on the street i give it to them, because whether or not i think they deserve it is not a factor, i may have earned my money but I am not more deserving of it. If someone steals my cd p...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2005, 8:15 PM
We're all trying to make a dime, but the oil thing is ridiculous and an example of corrupt politics.

I don't think someone who steals my cd player needed it more, i just think they're an a$$. Our store was broken into a month ago and they stole $8,000 of phones. My company paid for them, and they took them. They don't deserve anything but to have the crap beat out of them. They have absolutely no right to something that isn't theirs. They most certainly don't deserve it any more than someone else who is willing to pay for it. People that steal because they believe they're better than who they're stealing from are scum. Stealing food because your starving or clothes because you're cold is something different entirely.

There are t...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 8:55 PM
i agree with everything you said but there is a disconnect between us, people who have the ability to earn, and people who for one reason or another not only have nothing, but do not have the ability to get anything.
Amy55

Nov 11, 2005, 10:30 PM
I agree with the others that say people should have to work to get what they want. Like Nikoletta stated there are very cheap ways to get some descent clothes to apply for jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere. Why not apply at McDonald's or Burger King? Yes, those jobs suck but at least it's a start and they are gaining experience. People that TRY get my utmost respect. At least they are trying to make a change, unlike the people sitting on a corner asking me for money when I walk by.

My family didn't have much money when I was growing up. So, I pulled up my socks and got a job at Burger King. I saved some money and saved enough to go to University. Two years ago I moved out on my own, worked one full time job, one part time job, and we...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 12, 2005, 9:51 AM
exactly, you could always sell crack or your body for money. At least if you get arrested you have a warmer place to sleep.
Amy55

Nov 12, 2005, 1:23 PM
That's not what I meant. Anyone with half a brain could understand what I meant.
celesticatfl

Nov 12, 2005, 2:47 PM
I don't see it as being 'cold-hearted'. I've been working and contributing to the required government accounts for over 30 years. I've had unemployment denied me even after proving I was eligible and they took it back! There are folks out there (and I know a couple personally) that seem to think the Gov and/or everybody owes them some thing or everything just for breathing. Their grand plan of life is to produce babys just to collect a check and then get a job long enough to collect a check and quit, and have another baby. But that is not the topic of the discussion. The topic is the way folks have no standards today to even present their best face to a potential boss, So why should the company they apply to take them seriously?
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 10:42 AM
this girl walked in yesterday with a FUBU shirt a bandana and saggy pants, "dressing like a thugg dude" to give us an application...this place will send u home for wearing snickers on any day that is not friday...or a weekend day 🙄
GILDAR

Nov 9, 2005, 11:42 AM
Wow it must be nice sitting up on your high horse. I am sorry but you never know what a person is going through in their life and to sit there and rag on them or to just throw away their app. just because they dont "look" good is just rude. I was a manager at a resturant and I delt with people like that all the time and in the interveiw I would give them I would tell them point blank they must be clean to work for me.I dont mean to sound like I am yelling at you I am just sick of this world putting people down because they are not as well off as the rest of us,and mabey if you give them just a half a chance they may prove "worthy" of working for you.
G-rad

Nov 9, 2005, 11:43 AM
Amen. 😁
mark0000

Nov 9, 2005, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, I'd have to disagree. I managed a family restaurant before coming into this field. I've talked to, taken applications from, and interviewed many potential hires. I've got to say that appearance does go a long way. Now, don't confuse that with me wanting to see them in designer duds because that's not the case. An example...

I vividly remember a very hectic day when I had a million things to do and no time to do any of it. A crew member tells me that someone with an app wants to speak with me. "Great, just what I need." I walkd out and see a young kid, about 16. He was wearing a dress shirt that probably had come out of his dad's closet, slacks that he had probably bought when he was 3 inches shorter and a tie. And though a ...
(continues)
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 12:30 PM
agreed
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 3:50 PM
i disagree with your disagreement.
computerking

Nov 9, 2005, 7:59 PM
Now everyone has a good opinion, agree on both sides. I worked for a large midwest food chain (Hy-Vee) for 5 years, and I know of many situations where people came in that were trying to get back on there feet, and couldnt afford dress cloths or had a place to put them. So Hy-Vee halped them out by donating some new or used clothing to them that would get them throught enough time of work till they could get back up a place to stay.

If you dont care to dress nice, then you shouldnt get the job, but if you do care and just cant. Then you should make that a point in your interview so the employee understands the posistion your in. There are alot of good hard working people out there, but are lost among the less fortunate.
Nikoletta

Nov 9, 2005, 3:42 PM
Wow and who made YOU the moral king? Don't condescend, it's as bad as what you're accusing us of doing. Here's the thing. You need to make the effort. Even if you don't own a lot of nice things and maybe don't have a good place to stay you can make an effort. Where I live there is a public beach that has an open shower. These showers are always open, have running water (it's not nessecarily HOT water but it's usually warm) and soap. It's free to use... so not being washed, you have no excuse around here. As far as clothing goes? Even if you don't have a lot of money, you can get one nice set of clothing cheap at goodwill, a single button down shirt and a pair of slacks will run you... $10 tops, $5 if you look. If that's not an opti...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 3:48 PM
that reminds me of a song from comedy central called "but shes a b*tch anyway" in the middle he says "and when she sees homeless people on tv she says its their own damn fault, and then she asks for $50"
GILDAR

Nov 10, 2005, 5:10 PM
LOL aint that the truth....I have run both ends of the money spectrum and its so easy to look down on those that cant afford it...but when you have to make a choice between food and cloths...guess what wins out.
Nikoletta

Nov 10, 2005, 8:37 PM
You guys keep making it out like I'm looking down my nose at somebody. I'm not. But there are options and ways you can show you are making an effort that don't cost a lot of money.
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 5:56 PM
Like greg giraldo says, you can buy them the nicest tux and get them a job interview but wearing your underwear under your pants is a big part of the interview. And thats not anti-homeless, its saying that some of those people are pretty messed up beyond repair from being homeless for too long. If you would rather feel disdain than pity thats your perogative.
Nikoletta

Nov 11, 2005, 7:12 PM
Why do you keep insisting that's my goal? To look down at somebody to "feel disdain" for them rather than pity. Perhaps you need to review your own feelings because I have said more than once in this thread already that this is not my goal nor my intention. If they are capable of getting a job and holding it fabulous. There are people who can't, I know there are a couple of them living in my apartment complex. The complex I live in was at one time a low income project. They've since rescinded that but about half the residents are still on state funding for housing. There are three types of people, all represented in the building I live in. #3, who lives upstairs from me lives on public housing and she is very eccentric, she really is ...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 7:33 PM
i lived in a duplex across from another that looked the same, the other one was a participant in washington state section 8 housing for low income people, and that landlord took advantage of that, not the people, by charging the state $400 per month more than i paid for the exact same place in the exact same SQf. except that landlord took the master bedroom and put sheetrock in the middle to make it look like a 3bedroom. So i myself, felt more disdain for the landlord than the actual 5-6 people that were sharing that apartment. I have no idea of their personal situation, but when i was moving he asked if i was moving out of the ghetto, and i said no, because i prefer poor people to any rich person. I'm sorry i'm so stern and a lot meaner tha...
(continues)
tequilasundae

Nov 9, 2005, 12:45 PM
a girl walked up to the kiosk where i used to work, and asked for an "appication"...she filled it out while i went to use the facilities..when i cam back, my coworker was laughing his butt off...he said she needed to bring in a resume' and she said "whos that??"
GILDAR

Nov 9, 2005, 1:51 PM
Look all I am saying is that there are alot of realy good people out there that cant afford these things and I am sick of people saying that because they are dressed nice that they are the best employees. I like to think the cloths dont make the person. When I worked at a 7-11 the people I used to catch stealing our stuff the most were the dressed up people. And part of the reason these cant afford to get nice cloth is because no one wants to give them a chance. I am willing to give every one a chance no matter what they looked like. And do you want to know who was my best employee when I was a manager...it was the one that came in not looking good but that I cared enough to take a risk and hired and he felt he owed me something because I hi...
(continues)
kracing

Nov 9, 2005, 2:03 PM
I understand what you are saying, but when you come in to a professional business and are not even TRYING to look your best, the that is when I have a problem and laugh. Like someone said earlier, the 16 old boy TRIED to look nice. Cloths that did not fit, but it's the the thought process that goes into things that you need to consider also. I' not trying to be rude, but these people will be representing YOU and your company. Think about it, if you were the customer coming in a you are greeted by someone who is not neatly dressed and smells. That speaks alot about the person and company in my opinion . no matter how much money you have and don't have, you should TRY best.
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 2:30 PM
this is where the whole blue-collar white-collars things comes in. You cannot go to apply for a white-collar job looking like a hobo,in sports wear, in jeans, or thuggish no matter how good u r at what u do...however that rule doe not neceserally apply for restaurants or factories, or other blue-collar positions
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 3:29 PM
yes, and the WB and comedy central need to learn the difference between blue collar and red neck. first the nazis steal the swastika and then the rednecks steal blue collar.
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 3:41 PM
man thats true man...I've never watched that show, I think its idiotic, now Mind of Mencia is funny
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 3:49 PM
there you go, prefering the mexican show over the hick-chic show, shame on you.
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 3:54 PM
he is hundurian 😛
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 3:56 PM
I think his mother is mexican, he was just born in honduras. But like he says, he lives in the southwest so hes mexican no matter what.
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 3:59 PM
the funny thing is that a native of mexico (mayan descent for instance) doesn't even have to speak spanish, someone from chiapas could come here and be mexican.
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 4:32 PM
true and they have their own dialects, and yeah i rather be called mexican for living around the midwest or southwest than in the east and be puerto rican or cuban...or dominican
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 4:35 PM
the funny thing is when i randomly speak spanish and japanese, when i can easily replace english, and when people as me why i am speaking "______" or why did i learn it, i say "this is the only language lord satan understands" which is awesome in creating new misconceptions, like when you tell white people that mexicans pee in coronas.
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 5:03 PM
🤣 LOL
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 4:43 PM
hey whats wrong with puerto ricans and dominicans, my daughter is puerto rican and my boyfriend is dominican
ralph_on_me

Nov 9, 2005, 4:47 PM
csouthgal said:
hey whats wrong with puerto ricans and dominicans, my daughter is puerto rican and my boyfriend is dominican

so... what's the father?
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 4:49 PM
the father of my daughter is puerto rican
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 4:54 PM
its not that they are ALL like that but, i deal with them every single day and have been dealing with them for the last 12 months, and umm they lack alot of communication skills along with patience
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 4:55 PM
patience DEFINATELY!!!!!
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 4:58 PM
and as my dr bf says they walk around so proud "im puerto rican look at my flag hanging in my car, kitche, bedroom, etc" when most of them where raised here and dont even speak spanish... then he always likes to piss them off and tell them they dont even have a flag, being that they are an usa territory technically there flag is the us flag... so what the hell are they so proud of, he says

theyre not puerto rican or american... they are... i dont know

my daughter is puerto rican, italian, irish and german... shes american dammit! 😁
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 5:02 PM
true, ur boyfriend could be their governor he is the 2nd most smartes Puerto Rican i have heard of, the 1st one is my coworker that clowns on them ALOT
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 5:04 PM
CORRECTION: my boyfriend is DOMINICAN, my daughter is the rican (and her daddy of course)
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 5:12 PM
oooh cool, one of my best friends is Dominican he is pretty loud and impatient but not dumb, just try to keep ur daughter away from mainland puerto ricans like the guy i am speaking with right now .....
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 5:33 PM
whats is up with the mainland ricans?
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 6:27 PM
they talk too much...and i mean TOOO much they answer questions u didn't ask them and don't answer the question u did ask...in short they are dumb...like 90 percent of them...my wife used to get mad at me for saying that, but then she listened to one of my calls once....she understands now 🙂
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 4:51 PM
...I am Mexican, but well no, not really except when it comes to them to use common sense (Pueeto Ricans/Dominicans) they are not the brightest lightbulb of the bunch
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 4:54 PM
well as for my daughters father i will agree, but my daughter is very VERY intelligent and my boyfriend is very much so too. around here its the mexicans that probably due piss in corona bottles (no offense)
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 5:04 PM
LOL DUH! thats why we don't drink those!, 🤣 xcept for the chunti dum dum mexicans
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 5:07 PM
im not much of a beer drinker, but as funny as it is though i know alot of people that do drink them because they say they are "smoother"
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 5:15 PM
lol, REAL "smart" mexicans drink Carta Blanca, Sol, Dos Equis lager(XX) or Modelo, NOT Corona cuz its smoother like RKelly's
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 5:32 PM
yeah ive heard dos equis is good but like i said i wouldnt know from experience, im a liquor girl... well when im not pregnant that is
Fenix1003

Nov 9, 2005, 6:34 PM
lol how often are u pregnant then? 🤣
sorry
u made it seem like either u drink alot or u get pregnant often
csouthgal

Nov 9, 2005, 6:37 PM
yeah i guess it does kinda sound like that
this is only my second pregnancy, and i have to tell you i went through the party stage
most people it last there whole twenties, mine lasted about 4-6 months
alejandro

Nov 11, 2005, 6:02 PM
if you keep dating hispanics you can look forward to many more.
craptacularwireless

Nov 9, 2005, 4:17 PM
His mom is from Honduras, his dad is from Mexico. 🙂
alejandro

Nov 9, 2005, 4:33 PM
i heard a rumor his dad is anglo, but that was probably made up by white people who don't like him

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.