Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 37 replies

Have you ever been threatened by a customer???

Signals

Oct 13, 2005, 3:42 PM
A little while ago a customer tried to steal a leather case from my store, I confronted him about it, of course he denied it. so I told just give me the leather case, and I wont call security. Well he left my store and still had the leather case, he went to the bathroom, and ditched the leather case. He then came back into my store to talk to me. By this point I was on the phone with security, he then threatened by saying "You better hang up that phone, or else I am going to come over the counter and bash in your face!" Of course me being the smart ass that I am I say go ahead luckily enough his wife told him that they needed to leave, and so they did. But what really sucks is the fact that he had his 6 year old daughter with him!!!!
ollywolf

Oct 13, 2005, 4:34 PM
Welcome to the world of customer service. It doesn't matter if you work in a store or a call center. Customers will always act like that.
cadillacman1986

Oct 13, 2005, 5:13 PM
heh, that reminds me of this one Oriental guy. I kept asking him what I could do to help him, because he hadn't even told me the problem yet really, just screamed for 10 minutes straight. Finally, after interupting him again, he goes "You can't handle me, I'm too tough for you! I kick yo @ss! You can transfer me to supervisor if you want, you can't handle me, I too tough!" I assured him that I could handle him, and he kept screaming "I going to kill XXX Wireless, I going to kill you!" I kept having to put it on mute to keep him from hearing me laughing, my sup was just looking at me funny cause I was laughing so hard. Oh geez, I wish I had more calls like that, they just make my day. I eventually ended up trying to help him, and had to u...
(continues)
themike314

Oct 13, 2005, 5:25 PM
🤣

That's awesome. Did he have the asian accent and everything?

I had to mute a customer today to laugh at him. He was upset that we could not provide him with a replacement phone immediately, and he started getting loud. "I'M A WORKING MAN, AND I NEED A PHONE!"
cadillacman1986

Oct 13, 2005, 5:39 PM
oh yeah, full blown asian accent which made it HILARIOUS! 😁 🤣
themike314

Oct 13, 2005, 5:50 PM
RAFF OWT ROWD!!!!!!!!!
axess_denied

Oct 13, 2005, 5:06 PM
A few years ago I worked for a little company called Best Buy. While at work on a week night a rather "hickish" drunk white guy got angry about a return he was trying to make and threatened our operations manager's life. Now this lady was a b*%$# but she was also pregnant. I do not tolerate the threat of violence toward women. So as if the man had just insulted my mother, I come walking around the corner from the aisle in our computer dep't that was right next to customer service and beggin tearing off my shirt, look the guy in the face and ask him if he wants to dace with some one his size. I am 6 foot 8 and not the most unassuming of individuals. Let's just say that at the point I was standing in front of customer service in a wife beater ...
(continues)
themike314

Oct 13, 2005, 5:21 PM
Wow, someone who's taller than me. I don't run across one of you guys very often.

It's fun to intimidate the little people, isn't it?
Fenix1003

Oct 13, 2005, 6:09 PM
👿
Nikoletta

Oct 13, 2005, 6:42 PM
I like being little and agressive, like a chihuahua only I bite harder.
Vox Dei

Oct 13, 2005, 7:08 PM
Really? do i have to ask nicely?
Nikoletta

Oct 13, 2005, 7:48 PM
Yeah if you ask nice...
Vox Dei

Oct 13, 2005, 7:56 PM
Sweet
ollywolf

Oct 13, 2005, 7:28 PM
Dont believe her she doesn't bite that hard 😉
Vox Dei

Oct 13, 2005, 7:35 PM
darn
Nikoletta

Oct 13, 2005, 7:49 PM
but for you I will.
Vox Dei

Oct 13, 2005, 7:56 PM
😁
axess_denied

Oct 15, 2005, 10:14 AM
I don't know, if there are three or four people shorter than 5'10" I get a little intimidated to be honest. Those short people have those bendy fingers and those jaws that dislocate so they swallow you whole left leg... SH*T get that midget out of my kiosk!!!!!
themike314

Oct 13, 2005, 5:19 PM
I used to deal with people like that all the time. The one's who talk tough, like your friend there, never actually do anything. They're all bark. A proper response to a threat like that is, "Shut up. You don't have the b@11s to do that. If you did, you wouldn't be telling me what you're going to do, you'd have already done it." That usually shuts them up and they leave. They may continue to act tough to save face to anyone who didn't witness just how big of a coward they are, but rest assured, they are extreme cowards.

The one's who don't say anything at all, or who seem very calm, are the ones you have to watch out for. They're the ones who'll attack you.

Of course, these are just general rules that have their exceptions. I ...
(continues)
themike314

Oct 13, 2005, 5:27 PM
I guess I didn't answer your question. I have been threatened by many customers. None of whom ever did anything about it.

I was attacked twice by customers, neither of which gave any indication that they were going to.
lorilicious

Oct 14, 2005, 12:07 PM
OMG! one time I took this call from this new york proper businessman jerk! I told him that he wouldn't receive his phone until monday because of the weekend, and that's all it took! he went B-a-n-n-a-n-a-s-!!, He started cussin at me really bad, saying "you probably some fat b!tch stuffin your face with ding dongs! and then he started talking about speaking to George W Bush(hey moto, are you sure this is not your dad) and come kick all of our sorry A$$e$, then to top it off he said that he had someone setting up a bomb on our building and he hoped my A$$ would blow up in a million pieces.
After hearing all this... I had the call traced but most of all I wondered "where did the proper businessman attitude go??" lmao
People can be so n...
(continues)
alejandro

Oct 14, 2005, 1:04 PM
ever watch kids in the hall?
Vox Dei

Oct 14, 2005, 4:22 PM
That's funny. People are really funny some times. Ya smart ass. Call the PHONE COMPANY and threaten them. especialy after you have given them your address where they can tell the police to come pick you up. And they ARE the phone company so they can trace even restricted calls 😛 People are funny.
themike314

Oct 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
That's awesome. Do you know if he got arrested for that?
everman

Oct 15, 2005, 12:38 PM
Quiktrip Story

I used to be a clerk at a quiktrip in South St. Louis. Store 620. My store and another about a mile away from me, 638 both were the worst stores in the state in terms of area and clientele. So unlike the other stores, we were required to have a security guard on duty after 7 pm all the way until 7 am.
11:30 pm
I am running the register when a drunk man comes to my register with a quiktrip sandwich. I do my thing. "How ya doing? Is this all for ya?" he nods drunkenly mumbling something I assume is an affirmative sentence. I ring his food up and give his total to him " That will be 2.49 sir."
Well this drunk guy looks at me like I am crazy and stares at the sandwich and says it is only supposed to be a dollar. H...
(continues)
themike314

Oct 15, 2005, 1:26 PM
That's fun. I love 'security' that is only there for a paycheck.

I used to do security, and it's a scary feeling when you know there isn't someone on duty who'll be there if $#!+ goes down.
everman

Oct 15, 2005, 5:10 PM
I was a security guard at a credit union. That was some fun stuff. Once I saw a guy come in with a bulge under his coat, but because he looked clean cut (and also because I didnt have a gun) I just hawkeyed him and he noticed, so he came over next to me to fill out a deposit slip, and he opened his coat to let me see his badge. That was a nervous moment in my life.
Nikoletta

Oct 17, 2005, 2:38 PM
I worked as a Security Guard at a boarding school...Night Shift... was the greatest job I've ever had except for one little detail... my boss was also my husband and we got a divorce which made things... awkward. Our job was something more of a glorified babysitter position though... basically I handed out band aids, cough drops, and tissues to a bunch of delinquent high school students and wandered around every hour or so to make sure they were still in their dorms... $12 an hour to start and I was going to get a raise to $15.
Fenix1003

Oct 17, 2005, 9:57 AM
well i once was also a Quik Trip clerk, worked there 3 years, in Kansas City, well I worked at the most ghetto store there was all those 3 years, and i saw some crazy crap, once there was this guy that stuffed a taquito under his pants (not on the pockets) and the guy was not using ANY underwear, i told my manager at the time, and he went up to the guy and told him "hey man if u are going to eat it after putting it in there you can keep it"
Then my main manager was a short white guy, and i say short because compared to everyone else that was white in the store (all the clerks and the 1A and 2A) he was like my size, but he kicked ass, seriously, one day i saw this guy reaching to where we put the cartons of Cigarretes (Malboros)and asked hi...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Oct 17, 2005, 2:41 PM
My brother works at a video rental store and a couple of months ago they found out that this guy had been walking around with a wad of chew and spitting on the shelves and stuff. Now my brother... well he's a scary kid when he's pissed and he told his boss if he ever caught this guy at it he was going to break spit-boy's face... His boss responded simply that he should log out first so he didn't get fired.
MIKE3222

Oct 15, 2005, 5:17 PM
it seems that i get threats from customers in any retail place i've worked. luckily i know tho position something between myself and them. i figure if they have to come over a counter, i have the upper hand. the only time it actually got physical though was when i customer got mouthy with one of my employees and she through him into a wall of displays, breaking all kinds of stuff. i won't go into the details, but she was justified. oh yeah, she was pregnant too. she got out of it with a $35 fine, he got nailed for public disturbance and a bunch of other stuff. so my only experience is with my employees beating on customers.
diana1gd

Oct 15, 2005, 7:29 PM
i work in a retail location and have had plenty of customers start having a hissy fit in the middle of the store- but yesterday tops it all... this woman came in with her boyfriend, arms crossed, refusing to let me help her and wanted to talk to a rep who was with a customer- apparently he had pissed her off earlier b/c he said he wasn't going to let her charge her phone at the store and come back for it b/c he didn't want to be responsible if it got lost, stolen, etc... so this woman comes back to get her phone (another rep agreed to do it) and starts screaming in the middle of the store at the rep who had said no (after asking me "where your manager at" ). meanwhile, there are 2 other customers in the store.. so she's ranting and raving an...
(continues)
alejandro

Oct 15, 2005, 7:51 PM
retail is a crappy position like selling phones because you are actually exposed to the public and what they are really like, but its not worse than being a bus driver.
bryna

Oct 16, 2005, 11:45 AM
I had a customer come up to me,RIGHT up to me,' bout few inches, i step back and asked how i could help him. He came closer and said 'i could fix his f#@%$ phone.' I told him politely i could help if he would stop cussing in the store. Of course he kept cussing and fix the damn thing or me and him would have a problem. I told him that wasn't how it works, he could behave like an adult in a place of business or I could call the police and they could ask him to leave. This was funny to cause he was this little grizzly adams looking white man and I'm 6'1 193lbs compared to his 5'0..People are nuts
themike314

Oct 17, 2005, 11:08 AM
I love little guys who think they're all tough. It's hard not to crack a smile or laugh at them.
wolfspider73

Oct 16, 2005, 1:38 PM
I've been threatened vaguely ("I'm going to kill you"), I've been threatened specifically ("I'm going to blow all your asses up", "I swear to god I will f@$#&^g shoot you"), been asked to have improper relations with my mother, been invited to become intimate with some rather private areas of one's anatomy, including my own ... customer service is the funniest job I've ever had. In my call centre, one night a customer had become extremely abusive and threatening to one of our new hires, a manager comes over and monitors the call for about 2 minutes, then mutes the rep's mic and advises the customer, "Sir, my name is ______ and I am a manager here for Cingular. Are you aware that we have the ability to trace this call?" There was a short paus...
(continues)
littlepinksock

Oct 16, 2005, 9:25 PM
I've actually done that before when a kid called into me and threatened to kill me. I told him that we have the ability to trace calls and he hung up.

When I worked as a long distance operator for a major land line carrier, I used to get those threats all the time. It's sad, but they no longer phase me.
Sorn

Oct 17, 2005, 5:23 PM
Yes, just last week. "Deposit? f* you, I bet that deposit won't be there after I kick yo' a*." "Yes it will, you just won't be able to pay it from jail."

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.