Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

How can I make you understand?

ralph_on_me

Aug 26, 2005, 4:23 PM
I just had a customer who has come into my store repeatedly over the last year concerning problems with her phone and account. Today, she came in because her new phone wasn't working right. Her brand new black V3 razr, that she bought at the mall. After providing someone with customer service for over a year, why would they purchase the phone somewhere else?

This stuff makes me mad, but it's also insulting. I've bent over backwards for some of these people. They'll come in and pick my brain clean for countless amounts of information, and then turn around and buy the phone from a retailer for $20 less. Apparently the service I provide isn't even worth $20.

If I could charge for CS, I would do it. Apparently going above and beyond...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Aug 26, 2005, 5:18 PM
did you tell them to go back to that store? I would have 😛
ralph_on_me

Aug 26, 2005, 5:25 PM
I couldn't think of anything to accurately express my disgust without being rude, so I shocked the phone, gave it back and sent it on her way.
gospeldj

Aug 26, 2005, 5:57 PM
That example is indeed one of the most infuriating things that happen in our business. Some of my best FRIENDS have done that to me. The average person just does not realize that we make our living on commission.
One of my favorite lines to use is, "When you buy the phone somewhere else, then you sacrifice local customer service."

The reaction to this is usually stunned. These idiots do actually expect free advice, our time and experience, regardless of what idiotic things they do. I love to do this to folks who just got a phone on the internet, and come to me to either fix it, or worse, get it activated.

This problem has been driving me so crazy, I am just about ready to leave the business. No one has any form of loyalty anymor...
(continues)
memetics

Aug 27, 2005, 1:43 AM
Just speculation, here... but I don't think people are getting any more stupid or greedy than before; I think they're just getting trained not to value personal service as much as saving every last nickel. The mindset change seems to be coming from our economy's shift to more of an on-line, automated system. (Isn't this kind of thing happening with banking, too?)

IMHO, if customers were required to get all their customer service from wherever they bought and activated their phone(s), or else figure it out themselves, then maybe after one bad experience or two, they'd start buying from the local reps who do take the time to explain things to them and give them good service.

Just a thought. 😎
ralph_on_me

Aug 27, 2005, 10:38 AM
It really bothers me that it's come to this, but I think we're going to have to start charging fees for CS when they dont get their phone from us. We're across the street from a Wal-Mart and near a mall, and their customers constantly come to us with their problems. It's probably not "fair" but it's not fair to us either. If I don't charge them something then the company who signs my paychecks is effectively throwing their money away.
texaswireless

Aug 27, 2005, 12:50 PM
I also don't have a problem telling them beforehand when they are shopping to please return to my location if I provided good service. I explain that we do work on commission (or in my case now I explain I am the small business owner).

It is preemptive and helps for some because as others have stated, people are just sometimes conditioned to search on price and do not know we need them to buy to support local stores.

There are enough crappy stores experiences posted here for us all to know not all sales reps do a good job. If you have provided that good experience don't be afraid to let them know why it is important to return to your location.
alejandro

Aug 27, 2005, 5:49 PM
i work for an agent and my boss's (the owner) sister purchased her phone and plans from the retail store. that pissed him off he doesnt like talking to her when she comes to him with problems with her phone.
texaswireless

Aug 27, 2005, 6:00 PM
If it was my sister I wouldn't help her. Someone like that should know better.
jerrydock

Sep 1, 2005, 2:31 PM
If it was my sister I would go slap my mama for having such a dumb child.
texaswireless

Aug 26, 2005, 5:33 PM
When customers blantantly do this I flat out ask them, "why did you not purchase the phone from me?". If it was because of the money I have no issue telling them that I can't pay the bills only answering questions. I make sure they have a clear understanding that as an independant business their purchases support keeping places like me open.

It is a guilt trip, but it sends the message home. Luckily where I live and own a store people are more grounded and actually value good service.
Nikoletta

Aug 28, 2005, 4:18 PM
We have a similar problem in Telesales. People call in and "I'm just lookin for some information." You spend an hour of your time explaining all the different phones, the pros and cons of the different handsets and going over all the different packages, extras, accessories and things that are available for them to say "Thanks for the info." and hang up. We're paid on commision too so if they just calli in for info (instead of like checking the web site and doing their own research instead of picking my lovely little brain) I can't pay my rent. God people just make me sick sometimes.
everman

Aug 30, 2005, 3:58 PM
Do you work for cingular direct or a 3rd party contractor like convergys?
Nikoletta

Aug 30, 2005, 4:29 PM
Neither. I am a Direct Dealer but not for Cingular.
everman

Aug 31, 2005, 10:48 AM
I am amazed, because your stories are so similar to experiences that i have working for a joint like Convergys selling Cingular, that it never occurred to me that you didnt work for cingular at least.
Will wonders never cease?
Nikoletta

Aug 31, 2005, 6:30 PM
I really think that no matter what provider you work for you end up getting a lot of the same stuff, it's universal. It also doesn't seem to matter most of the time if you are in sales or care or Migrations. There are universally stupid, illiterate, selfish or just plain difficult people out there that are GOING to call/come in.
slochraven

Sep 1, 2005, 12:08 PM
Let me play devils advocate. I bought a phone from the company i work for. Tmobile doesn't have the phone in its listing of phones. I got an unlocked v500 which works perfectly on their network and much better than their v600.
I went to my company as i got a good price and it was better money in my pocket than in the salesperson at t-mobile. Your customers are doing the same thing which really i can understand. customer service or not.
ralph_on_me

Sep 1, 2005, 1:48 PM
I understand them wanting to save money, but they ARE sacrificing service for it. I can buy whatever phone and want I have the knowledge to set it up to work how I want it to. I just don't want those people who are only out to save a dime to bring their problems to me without paying me for my time and knowledge. It's something I provide free to my customers, and I have no problem charging them for my service if they've gotten the phone elsewhere. My hourly wage is paid by my company who only makes money when I sell things, and not by the service provider whom I sell contracts for.
flatlandinpunk17

Sep 4, 2005, 4:06 PM
ha ha yea when people bring in a phone they purchased unlocked from somewhere else or from walmart and even though it works on our network i tell them i cant touch that phone i can only help them with ones they purchased from us when setting up a new account.
freephones4all

Aug 30, 2005, 3:33 PM
Whenever someone brings in a phone and tells me that it was purchased from a retailer....ALWAYS check the ESN history. It was probably used and is out of warranty. So then I can refer them back to the retailer. Most of those phones are used. And if they purchased them at one of those online places, well they are going to have to send the phone right back to www.HonestJoesCellphones.com
Consumers have to be responsible for themselves. I am not a #@*%!babysitter.
bugzzz333

Aug 31, 2005, 11:54 AM
I had a customer in the store that wanted a v551 and they were shocked that it wasn't free because it is at Walmart, so they had the nerve to ask if they got their phone at Walmert if they could come back and have me show them how to use everything on their phone. I told them I would charge them $20 an hour, then they asked why? Why should I do all the work and Walmart get paid for it, apparently Walmert reps don't know how to operate what they sell.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.