Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 18 replies

International Roaming

wdfichtel

Aug 31, 2010, 9:30 AM
So I had a customer call me today, wanting to know why her Blackberry wasn't working internationally. The customer had called us two days ago, and was told that as a T-Mobile flexpay customer, she could roam in Canada, Mexico, Hati and the Dominican Republic only. She's in Mexico and only has an 'SOS'. I had her do a manual network selection, and none of the networks matched up with the partners we use...

Me: Where are you at right now?

Cust: Grand Caymen

Me: *facepalm* I apologise, but you are not currently in Mexico. Grand Cayman is it's own network, and you cannot roam there.

Now the customer begins to flip out, screaming that she was lied to, and how she won't be able to use her phone until she gets to Cozumel. I apologize ag...
(continues)
RavenSkyhawk

Aug 31, 2010, 10:07 AM
I had a customer that flipped out because she went to visit her family in canada and didn't understand that canada was a foreign country.
I asked her if she remembers passing men with guns right around the border of Montana, she of course did, but swears her family lives in a private subdivision which had awesome security. Not thrilled when I began to laugh and inform her that was border patrol and the private subdivision is another country.
Mr. Scary

Aug 31, 2010, 11:24 AM
America is not the world. There's actually a world outside the borders of the US, and it doesn't operate the way it does here.

God! How did I manage to grasp these very basic concepts from an otherwise unspectacular American public school education, and yet so many other Americans didn't?!?

I can only conclude that it's because I'm simply more intelligent than many other Americans.

🙂
wearethedisease

Sep 2, 2010, 9:55 AM
Your insults, whether intentional or comical, hold so much damn truth that I can't be insulted. Haha.

Kudos to you.
Mr. Scary

Aug 31, 2010, 11:19 AM
Anybody with a decent education knows that Grand Cayman isn't part of Mexico.

"She was lied to." No, she wasn't lied to, she's just geographically ignorant.
serendair

Sep 1, 2010, 4:01 PM
But where *is* Grand Caymen?

I ask not out of ignorance, but out of curiosity because that's a neat sounding name and I don't have my access to wikipedia. 🤣

I always think of it this way: "50 States in the good ol' USA; anything else is international".

Seems to work.
sprintchickwv

Sep 1, 2010, 4:01 PM
Grand Cayman is in the Caribbean, I'm pretty sure.
ATTDRONEV2.5

Sep 1, 2010, 4:07 PM
South of Cuba
northwest of avaya (he's in Jamaica, right?)
East of Cancun, Mexico

and it's an island
serendair

Sep 1, 2010, 4:25 PM
Can't access that from work unfortunately, or I'd be a lot more entertained in between calls!
Phadre_

Aug 31, 2010, 2:26 PM
It happens more than I thought was possible. When asking a custy what COUNTRY they are travelling to, I responses such as Europe, Africa, or South America. Try explaining the difference between COUNTTRIES and CONTINENTS. My favorite question when pointing out the difference, "Does It matter?" 😲 I want to say, "Nope, I just like to hear myself talk." 🙄
Phadre_

Aug 31, 2010, 2:27 PM
oops. meant COUNTRIES.
ATTDRONEV2.5

Sep 1, 2010, 3:56 PM
people think anything south of the usa is mexico

..and i bet at least one person has been at the border and asked the border agent how many miles is it to alaska?

and when they point north and say 1000 miles ...
they show the agent the map of the usa that shows alaska and hawaii south of texas..

and then berate the guard for not knowing anything

/Ren/ IDIOTS!
Phadre_

Sep 1, 2010, 4:37 PM
🤣
ecycled

Sep 2, 2010, 9:17 AM
Border agent does not equal Customer Service.

If it was me I'd let them pass. If they didn't figure it out immeadiately I'm sure the drug cartels could help them and us, by relieving us of some air wasters.
SavageKitty

Sep 2, 2010, 9:20 AM
My favorite of roaming is explaining to customers that the "roaming" on their plan is not so they can make free calls in other countries but that it means their phone will work there. I get many complaints of "my phone has roaming" or "why was I charged while calling in Mexico"? I have to say the best id "why did I get roaming charges I was only in Canada?". People really don't understand Canada is not covered. The best explanation I have heard is "Is your neighbors house part of your house?".
DartStuticus

Sep 2, 2010, 2:25 PM
they tell you they live in "That 70's Show?"
SavageKitty

Sep 2, 2010, 7:39 PM
Good point 🤣
DartStuticus

Sep 3, 2010, 2:30 PM
🤣 🤣
😳

👀

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.