Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

How do you deal with....

ochne

May 21, 2010, 6:52 PM
customers that play the race card when it comes to fees (like activation or upgrade) or prorated charges. by playing the race card it's either they're being charged that because they are a minority OR we won't credit it because they are a minority.
wompwomp

May 21, 2010, 6:55 PM
it's sad people would even go to that. and i'm sorry if you've encountered that, yikes. i'm fortunate enough to be hidden behind a computer so they can't do that to me... unless they assume my name is white and/or black. anyway. i would probably find the terms & conditions and qoute it back to them so that (hopefully) they would understand that it is within policy and you're not pulling it out of your butt because of their race 😳
ruler_goddess

May 21, 2010, 7:28 PM
Thats why I always keep a copy of the terms and contions at my desk so if some one tries to pull that ish on me i'll putt it out on a call and be like turn to page whatever 🤣. And if they still dont believe me I give them the web site where they can also see it so they can't throw their race around.
retrocool

May 21, 2010, 9:11 PM
You find a supervisor of that minority and let THEM deal with it. (Or, really, any supervisor, whatever their race.)

I had a call like that once, Black lady didn't seem to feel I was helping her the way she wanted, she asked for a sup, gave it to a sup who is Black. She starts with the "c'mon, brotha, can ya help a sista out?" routine (she was like in her 50s or 60s or something). He laughed about it and was like, uh, hey, no can do, that approach simply was no-go with him. He was like "can you believe that?" head-shaking time later on.

Some people just don't quite understand that corporate & franchise businesses can't operate like mom & pop shops.
Scootypuffjr

May 21, 2010, 9:21 PM
So on Martin Luther King Day I had about 10 calls from black people asking if they got free calling all day because it is their only holiday....
retrocool

May 21, 2010, 9:43 PM
🤣

That's interesting.

Hey, vets pull the same sort of thing. So do the handicapped.

Hey, who DOESN'T want a discount just for being who we are?
ncap9022

May 21, 2010, 9:18 PM
This annoys me in general. People will use ANY reason to try get a discount or something they don't deserve. My biggest one I get a lot is for african americans** who claim whites owe them for the slavery. You did not experience it and nor did your parents- we owe you nothing. I hate that the slavery EVER happened- it was awful and terrible but it's over and it didn't affect you.

**I am NOT racist in any way. I have many black friends and they are awesome.
retrocool

May 21, 2010, 9:35 PM
I only had one Black customer attempt to pull this routine. Never mentioned slavery at all. But she did try to pull it with a Black supervisor, which was hilariously shot down in flames.

The funny thing is that most of my call center's employees are Black, so any Black customers attempting to get special treatment using their race as a justifier would pretty much be laughed at.
KriisCDW

May 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
I mean... you one need one black friend to prove your not racist.

Right?...

Right.
ncap9022

May 21, 2010, 11:28 PM
uhm sure?
ochne

May 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
In the last 10 days I've had 2 call where the race card was played. One hung up the other escalated to a supv.

The escalated one wanted to have 200.00+ credited for international roaming charges. They were informed of what the rates were going to be and it was notated on account. Advised them I could not waive the charge. Customer asked to speak to my supervisor since I wouldn't credit because she was obviously not white.

The other wanted partial month charges credited for a new line of service. Advised could not do it as he had service for that time. He then asked if it was because he was not white that he was being "double charged" and it was not being credited. Told him had nothing to do with it that it was because he is billed mont...
(continues)
retrocool

May 21, 2010, 10:25 PM
Oh yeah, I hear ya. Customers run all kinds of game all the time to try to get credit or a free whatever.

I gotta admit, I feel badly for the people who assume, or even feel, that they're being mistreated because of their race or ethnicity. It would indicate that they've been taken advantage of in the past, either explicitly because of their ethnicity, or at least in part because of it.

See, the thing is, these people aren't feeling this way in a vacuum. Sure, some of them might be just plain dishonest, but others...well, some others might have been so mistreated in the past, and are overly suspicous of being treated that way again, whether they are or not.
SprintCC

May 22, 2010, 1:52 PM
Maybe I'll start calling my cell company and demand credit, when I don't get it I'll say it is because I'm white. I've been treated poorly for not being black in the past- so that must be why AT&T expects me to pay my bill. The people that I used to work for run AT&T now and still don't like white people.
KriisCDW

May 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
Your following policies that were put into effect when Bush was President.

After all... Bush hates black people.

To be fair... you had to extend the policies to take effect for all - jews, blacks, mexicans, gays and gingers...

Especially gingers.
Copper Emeritus

May 21, 2010, 10:59 PM
OK, I'm old and I don't get out much anymore. What the heck is a "GINGER"?
KriisCDW

May 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
Red Head, Freckles, clear complexion...

Think... Carrot-Top.

Made a lot more popular, afaik, with the advent of the South Park Ginger episode:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/911/ »
dntbhatin

May 28, 2010, 8:55 PM
They have no souls
dntbhatin

May 28, 2010, 6:57 PM
I close my eyes and chant burst into flames burst into flames

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.