Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Does a carrier have to match a rate plan offered to others on it's network?

up4achallenge

Nov 5, 2009, 2:46 AM
Hello,

I recently read in an article, I can no longer find online, that in California the Public Utility Commission has ruled that a cell phone provider must offer a customer a rate that it provides another customer (even a corporate one with a negotiated discount)if the customer provides the provider with the cell account number. Does anyone know anything about this? I would like to get a better rate on my Iphone. I have a friend who works for Coca Cola and he gets 20% off of his cell service. I have called AT&T and of course they say they have heard nothing about this. But I just read it was mandated in an article on AOL but can no longer find the article.

Anyone know anything about this?
Harrassment

Nov 5, 2009, 6:41 AM
I have a corporate discount through my job at at&t, I had to go in store and demand they find it and apply it to my account because whenever I called cust care they were dummies about the discounts, so after 30 minutes of standing in a corporate store they found it and I recieve my monthly discount as a bus corp account. Now, as far as being required to give everyone a discount that's the same maybe in CA, but they have different laws, working for t-mobile, no nothing like that applies for anyone in the USA.
mrpmpfan

Nov 5, 2009, 6:43 AM
Have you ever heard that you can't believe everything you read on the internet? This is one of those times that you should forget what you read and go on with the rest of your life.

You friend is getting an employee benefit that his company is paying AT&T for. You don't deserve the same discount.
llama

Nov 5, 2009, 9:43 AM
mrpmpfan said:
You friend is getting an employee benefit that his company is paying AT&T for. You don't deserve the same discount.

The company is not paying at&t for any benefits.

The company is getting a "bulk" discount for having at&t service.
up4achallenge

Nov 5, 2009, 12:27 PM
Wow, so hostile. I just asked a simple question to see if someone was able to educate me. What a nice welcome to my first post on this site......
wizardofCroz

Nov 5, 2009, 3:10 PM
Don't sweat it. Welcome to the site; However, you might want to make sure you're posting in the right forum. Typically this forum is for people who work in the wireless industry and complain about customers.

To answer your question, as most others have, Coca Cola has what is called an IRU agreement with AT&T. Basically, the larger the company and the larger the subscribers, the larger the discount. I'm not sure where you work, but ask around, you probably get a discount unless you're un/self-employed. Hell even McDonalds employees get a 15% discount with us.
captainplooky

Nov 5, 2009, 2:58 PM
mrpmpfan said:
You don't deserve the same discount.

🤣

I've heard this so much, yet in all my days here, no one has been able to explain or justify why the wireless industry (an oligopoly) believes it's perfectly acceptable to charge different rates to different people in the same area for the same service.
banhammer

Nov 5, 2009, 3:09 PM
typically disparity in rates between people is because the same service has different opportunity cost for different people (thus we have coupons, retention offers, etc.).

in this case, however, it's because the individual represents--to the wireless company--part individual, part quasi-individual entity he works for. The wireless carrier is not just getting YOUR business, but in part is getting the business of the whole company because you (plus a lot of other individuals) are using their services. A corporate employee actually does bring a little more to the wireless company than an individual unattached to a company, or attached to a company with no agreement to maintain so many subscribers.
jeffatt

Nov 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
The carrier doesn't have to do a damn thing. Your friend receives 20% off his bill as a benefit of being an employee of Coca-Cola. If you want 20% of your bill for being an employee of Coca-Cola, you better get employeed at Coca-Cola.
PhonemanJ

Nov 5, 2009, 2:39 PM
Basically, the way corporate discounts work is that a company can come to a carrier ( or a carrier can come to a company)and say that they would like to get a discount. The carrier says that if they can generate X amount of revenue each month, they will receive discount A. If they can promise to generate X times 2 revenue, then the carrier can offer them discount B. Because of the size of a company like Cokacola and the number of employees they have, then they will receive a large discount off of the service and may receive other discounts too, such as waived activation fees. If you work for a company, go into a store and check to see if the carrier has any agreements with the company you work for. I know with ATT, if a company has even fewe...
(continues)
rainbow_metals

Nov 6, 2009, 2:17 PM
nope work for sprint and nothing in our system at this time about california and their stupid PUC that thinks they can run things, maybe they(californians) shouldn't have no many cell phones and the PUC would seem like they have something up thier @$$

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.