Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 21 replies

Cut my hair?? Are you shi$$in me??

Chris1001

Aug 7, 2009, 2:35 PM
So the company tells me today that I have to cut my hair. They say it's unprofessional. It's a long, but not out of control long. If it's unprofessional, then how am I consistent top 10 in sales in a not so ideal location. Anybody know of any situations where this has been overcome? Tattoo's are one thing, but they can be uncovered after work. This is more of a permanent alteration to my appearance both in and out of work. Seems totalitarian to me. I've never had any complaints with regard to my hair or anything else for that matter. The company handbook says "Hair should be neat and conservative in appearance". Who determines this? I know the general consensus will be to cut it and move on but I'm not cuttin it quietly. Any thoughts??
FrankOMCGee

Aug 7, 2009, 2:38 PM
do like the afro GIs did make a gelmet and style your hair to thier republican standards
BoredatSprint

Aug 7, 2009, 2:56 PM
Yeah, basically they don't want hippies to own cell phones. And long hair attracts hippies.

You should go skinhead.
FrankOMCGee

Aug 7, 2009, 2:58 PM
nothing says im a republican like a skin head and swastikas
inboundSprintSlave

Aug 8, 2009, 2:26 PM
SERIOUSLY?
pizzas not for breakfast

Aug 7, 2009, 2:58 PM
Maybe you should start wearing a dress and putting your hair up in pig tails, that will throw em off.
cbarton

Aug 7, 2009, 2:59 PM
Talk to your boss and see how short he wants it.
Offer to wear it in a pony-tail if you have too. I had hair about 4 inches longer than the hair in your profile pic when I worked for Circuit City.
If all else fails, talk to your DM, and if he makes you do it tell him that you want the handbook changed to an exact length, so this issue won't arrise again. If he hates paper work, that might help.
SprintCC

Aug 8, 2009, 10:46 AM
No, what he should do is understand that he works for a private company and a condition of employment is that he meets their grooming standards.

It may not be the fun or the popular thing to say, but business owners are entitled to determine what image they want to put forward. If we don't like it we can work elsewhere. Before this job I had to wear a coat and tie to work every day. I didn't like it, but I did it- because that's what the boss man said I had to do.
Cellinovation

Aug 8, 2009, 11:10 AM
Normally I agree. What your not understanding here is that the handbook does not specify any specific standard that the business owner wants to put forward. There is no length requirement, just must be neat and conservitive. However, neat and conservitive is an opinion based phrase that is left to the consideration of the individual. If taken to court(im not suggesting you do this) A court would rule as to the judges opinion of condervative and neat. Provided its not crazy a judge would most likely rule in favor of the employee, and force the business to change their standards if they wanted to be more specific.
SprintCC

Aug 8, 2009, 1:36 PM
If taken to court the company would win unless there was some sort of collective agreement in which the employee is protected. Quite contractual agreement under which the employee is protected. Honestly, the handbook said it must be conservative leaving it to the discression of management on purpose. What is accepted in Santa Monica, CA isn't going to be what is accepted in Oklahoma City. It is a fight you may win due simply to the company not wanting to fight- but I wouldn't suggest showing up 1 second late for work after that point.
pizzas not for breakfast

Aug 8, 2009, 1:59 PM
Take the company to court? Really? Court costs and fee's will be at least 100$, compared to a 10-18$ hair cut (depending on where you live). Seriously, even if you felt it was absolutely necessary to take them to court no matter the cost, like the other dude said, i hope you dont plan on wanting time off or being 1 second late, cause if they can bust you on somthing they will.
Cellinovation

Aug 8, 2009, 3:21 PM
Wow do people in this forum completely ignore everything in () I did say I was not suggesting that it was done. I was simply making a point about the condition about the employee handbook as it relates to the section on hair. Geeesh!
pizzas not for breakfast

Aug 8, 2009, 3:42 PM
And i was simply making an point toward yours, no reason to get all excited 😲
Whitehores

Aug 7, 2009, 3:25 PM
if your work has a company handbook only a tool would work there
Tmo Slave

Aug 7, 2009, 4:06 PM
I have semi long hair as well but never have had any issues with the management. I actually like it because people remember better. They always come in and say "the guy with the long hair helped me."

In this day and age it still long hair is perfectly acceptable. Its just hair and as long as its not all crazy shouldn't be an issue.

One of my coworkers though had a faux hawk and was told to cut it but his was actually fairly large. He changed it for a little while but went back to a smaller faux hawk and no one has said anything. Sounds like your managers are being a$$hats. I would just talk to them and find out what is exceptable. If you guys are unable to come to an agreement then I guess you should look for a new job.
inboundSprintSlave

Aug 8, 2009, 2:38 PM
You can definatley find a shaman to sign a document for religious exemption. no joke. a friend did it for piercings.
jeffatt

Aug 8, 2009, 3:10 PM
I guess they couldn't fire you for "religious" reasons, but it wouldn't take long to find something else.

My advice: if you want to work there, follow the rules.
pizzas not for breakfast

Aug 8, 2009, 3:30 PM
Unless you live in arizona, where they will fire you for no reason at all. You may have the "right-to-work" but they also have the "right-to-fire your a$$" at any time.
jeffatt

Aug 8, 2009, 4:40 PM
Oh definitely. Same way here in Tennessee, but I'd think most businesses would shy away from a possible lawsuit/bad publicity that might come with firing someone with religious reasons as a cause.
cilvzwagent

Aug 8, 2009, 3:36 PM
We had a male employee in our company who had long hair. Our district VP told him he had to cut it or else. He told him that unless it was in the handbook, regulations, etc.. that he wouldn't do it. So, HR put out a section about hair length on male employees, which then just sparked a sexism debate because you can't tell a male to keep hair under 3", but have females with hair to their ankles. All in all it got dropped and thrown out, because at the end of the day the employee with the long hair sent an email to the CEO showing that if he wanted to fire him for long hair, then they could go back to the previous store manager who completed every month $15,000 under store profit goals, as opposed to the $10,000 over goal he hits monthly.
Decept.ICON

Aug 8, 2009, 5:18 PM
there is some good advice in this thread for you... Don't listen to the people who say, "just do what they say or else." The fact of the matter is you've had no customer complaints and you don't work in the effin food industry where long hair can be problematic. You say you accel in sales, so you should have no problem speaking with your upper management about their expectations. As long as you look professional and presentable there shouldn't be an issue.. I manage my location and I have super long hair like 11 or so inches...and I wear it braided or in a ponytail on certain occassions.. Point is if they don't like individuality F 'EM and move on...
Webb

Aug 10, 2009, 1:15 PM
Play the performance card. Really. Particularly if they say 'or else'. And point out all of the short-haired conservative types who you consistently beat.

As long as your hair is neat, clean and well-groomed, they have no particular business telling you to cut it in this day and age. You don't have a mohawk. You don't have some awful rat's nest. They just say neat and conservative. And frankly, conservative of appearance doesn't necessarily mean short in this day and age. And if your stated performance is accurate, it's not any sort of professional impediment.

Disregard my advice if you're in a 'right to work/right to fire anyone's ass for any reason' state where the legislators have forgotten that the United States is notionally part ...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.