Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Keeping dummy phones in their holsters

jeffatt

Apr 8, 2009, 1:30 PM
What methods do you guys use to keep dummy phones in their display holsters? Every customer feels they have to grab the phone out of the holster and give it a full, thorough examination before they can render any sort of decision on it. The holsters are on a string and can be pulled out from the display a good 2-3 feet, but apparently that's just not good enough. The phone apparently has to be removed from the holster to be examined.

So what devices do you have to keep people from getting them out? Ours (AT&T authorized retailer) is a little silver thing with 2 prongs, holds the sides of the phone.
GraGG

Apr 8, 2009, 1:56 PM
just tell them they cant take it out, or sit them down at a desk and bring out one from the back without service, that way there will be less playin with the operating system
jeffatt

Apr 8, 2009, 2:08 PM
Believe me, if it was as simple as telling them not to, then this wouldn't be a problem. We've even put up signs that say not to take the phones out.

Bringing a phone out of the back could be a workaround, but doesn't really address the problem.
GraGG

Apr 8, 2009, 3:18 PM
its a good work around becuase it immediatly narrows down their options to what you pull out for em, makin it easier to close quicker... less playin around with features and all, allowing you to go straight to pricing
jeffatt

Apr 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
I understand the benefits of doing it that way. Less time & decision-making spent on device selection allows for more time/quality on the rest of the sale.

But that's not always an option and like I was saying, it's still a workaround and doesn't address the problem.
gowirelessconsultant

Apr 8, 2009, 3:10 PM
Dont you love it when customers look at phones and they pull it as far as the securoty cable will allow. Like they are testing it to se how far they can get with it before the cord rips them back. Most customers are not very bright. Oh yea is it really that hard to remember your voicemail password?
Hombre07

Apr 8, 2009, 11:30 PM
We use the acrylics that go in wall slats. I just let them have at them, they are just dummy phones after all.
jeffatt

Apr 9, 2009, 10:22 AM
That would work and we've taken that route with a handful that can go on the walls, but we also have a "live bar" in the middle of the sales floor (even though there is nothing "live" about dummy phones) so we end up having to put a majority of them on there.

They are just dummy phones, but the problem is when people sit there and tug at them until they are free, they get scratched up and broken. Then when your next customer comes in, they think the phone isn't worth a **** because "it's just a dummy phone and it's already broken" or "it looks like it's already been through hell"
Hombre07

Apr 9, 2009, 10:36 AM
Have you seen Best Buys setup? Theirs seems like it would work for you. Little bars are placed over the phones and screwed down so they can be used but not trashed.
jeffatt

Apr 15, 2009, 4:34 PM
I'll have to take a look at it. Thankfully I'll be going by one on the way to a meeting tomorrow. Our closest one is an hour away! Living in BFE has its disadvantages.

Thanks.
softshoe

Apr 11, 2009, 8:28 PM
We use an electric charged system where if they pull the cord that attaches it to the display case too far it sends a mild shock up their arm.

It has one draw back though, we keep having to explain to the cops that it is for theft prevention not to train customers to behave correctly while in a store.
jeffatt

Apr 15, 2009, 4:39 PM
So you have something that attaches directly to the phone? That would work for me. Is your little deal like glued or something?

What we have has the phone "clamped" into the holster, but it only holds the phone at the sides and won't fully secure it, so people rip it out from the top & bottom.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.