Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 21 replies

Why would he do this? (long)

repoman

Dec 16, 2008, 2:40 PM
The other day I had a customer call in about his phone not working. Going through the ts and everything to find out that there's physical damage on his phone. No insurance and not upgrade eligible for a while.

I tell the customer it would probably be best if he looked into purchasing a new device at full retail because otherwise if we completed an oow exchange it'll cost him 374 bucks.

He calls his dad, the account holder, and I can hear him talking it over in the background with him. He comes back and says that he'll do the oow exchange. 😳 I don't think I heard him right. I asked and he said yeah that he'll do the exchange. I informed him that he would be getting the most for his money if he looked into purchasing a new device as the...
(continues)
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 16, 2008, 2:44 PM
Ignorance??? 😉
repoman

Dec 16, 2008, 3:04 PM
I would like to chalk it up to ignorance, but I told him flat out that he's paying more for a refurb than what he would for a full kit. I made it very clear to him several times, actually.
Menno

Dec 16, 2008, 3:33 PM
The kid could be:
Stoned
high
drunk
etc.

He could also be telling his dad that it is a warranty exchange, and so it's not his fault this way. Whereas if he did the new phone, he would be admitting it was his fault.
ccareatatt

Dec 17, 2008, 11:16 PM
Also contract is a big thing with customers. Did you reiterate no contract extension or change with it?
jeffatt

Dec 16, 2008, 3:08 PM
Probably one of those people with more money than sense. Why would he go to the trouble of going to a website or store and purchasing one when he can have you send him one and have him pay for it on a bill he already has to pay anyway?

What's the cost for not receiving the equipment back? I'd imagine that's what he'll be stuck with.
repoman

Dec 17, 2008, 1:13 AM
It's the same. 374.
BLEDSOE

Dec 16, 2008, 3:17 PM
because he probably told his dad there was a "charge" for the replacement...not what the charge was....so when his dad gets the bill...well. It won't be pretty.
softshoe

Dec 16, 2008, 9:17 PM
Inbreeding is what caused this asinine decision.
Burger Time

Dec 16, 2008, 9:24 PM
Your customer is on meth and so is his dad. It's like the blind leading the blind.
BLEDSOE

Dec 17, 2008, 6:33 PM
nope not at all...cause then they would never part with $374 that they could have spent on drugs. Are you CRAZY man....they will just go buy another prepaid phone and get a new #.

🤣 🤣 🤣
Nadesico81

Dec 17, 2008, 2:38 AM
Wow that strange! Do let us know if this one comes back to bite you in the A$$.
repoman

Dec 17, 2008, 5:23 PM
How would this affect me? I did just what the customer wanted.
ccareatatt

Dec 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
They will lie. Did you note it thoroughly what was discussed so if we get the call we can sternly say. "No sir, you were advised SEVERAL times." I hate it when no one notes accounts.
WhoDey

Dec 17, 2008, 6:52 PM
So youre telling me you have an option in your company to do a NON WARRANTY exchange?

In my store, we call that "buying a new phone"
Youre either in warranty or service & repair (free) or youre out of warranty (buy a new one)

I dont understand the point of what youre describing..
ccareatatt

Dec 17, 2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah we do... we just advise them that it will be OOW and will receive a charge for it. Its normally a warranty service center or warranty over the phone that does it.
WhoDey

Dec 18, 2008, 2:43 PM
I guess I still dont see the point.
If its out of warranty, by its very definition, it isnt an exchange, its a purchase.. and if one is purchasing a device, they should not be given a refurb device.

Why would you offer that instead of selling another phone??
repoman

Dec 19, 2008, 3:32 AM
We are obligated to offer ALL of the options when the device is OOW. I told the cust that purchasing a new device at full retail at a store, over the phone with sales, or online would be his best option. He chose to ignore that and go through with the out of warranty exchange.
repoman

Dec 19, 2008, 3:29 AM
That IS what I'm telling you. OK, basically ALL of the exchanges we complete are in warranty. We send them a replacement refurbished seed stock phone and they send their original back to us. Third party technicians examine the phone for A) Physical Damage and B) Liquid Damage. If either is found, the phone is sent back to the cust with a letter explaining that the phone is out of warranty because the device is beyond economical repair and the cust will be charged the out of warranty processing fee. They HAVE to pay this fee because when we initially complete the exchange we read through terms and conditions that state all of this and if the cust agrees they are legally bound to those t's and c's.

In this case, the cust informed me that t...
(continues)
IrishCarBomb

Dec 19, 2008, 9:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, was the son listed on the account as having access and authority to accept such charges? I know that you are doing a OOW here, so why does that matter?

Well, if the son isn't listed, you could be in some major trouble and those t's and c's aren't binding. Good luck!
beeferjay

Dec 19, 2008, 10:40 AM
the $374 would be applied to the bill where they will have time to pay.

it is christmas and people dont have extra cash lying around for a new phone
gottalaugh

Jan 3, 2009, 8:44 PM
Wait until dad calls and swears that his son was told thsat it was free...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.