Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Working for free lunch?

aguy-frombc

Dec 14, 2008, 2:02 PM
Is this even legal?

The company which I work for is "buying lunch" for its employees for the busy holiday weekend ahead of us.

The kicker is EVERYONE works from 10-9 with NO LUNCH BREAK!...

Thats not legal is it? a 11 hour day with lunch on the company, but no break to enjoy some simple relaxation?
vzwilman

Dec 14, 2008, 2:09 PM
Well when I worked for cc they did this but the lunch was our only break we got to sit down and eat and relax for 30 mins then back out there. As far as illegal I dunno if it verys per state or not. I know in pa it was illegal to not give workers breaks.
Soimbored

Dec 14, 2008, 2:19 PM
In California that would definately be illegal. Here, in an 8 hour period you are entitled to two 15 minute paid breaks and one 30 min unpaid lunch. Any time worked over 8 hours in a day is overtime. I think once you reach 10 hours you are actually etitled two 30 minute breaks (I could be wrong abnout this one). Not sure what your states policies are though.
tanya_ATT

Dec 14, 2008, 3:03 PM
in NC, its differently Illegal!!!!

turst me, i've worked in managment long enough... 8 hr.=one 1/2 hr more than 9 hrs.= 2/ 15mins and one 1/2

under 8hrs= one 15min

it IS the law!
no matter if they buy you lunch!
MR.Reme_RHYME

Dec 14, 2008, 3:37 PM
differently=definitely*????? Like the new grav btw! HAWT-ish... 👀
tanya_ATT

Dec 14, 2008, 8:34 PM
damn....sry

differently= definitely.

sorry... thats what happens after 10hrs in the mall.. mind-fart 😉
yoboy8

Dec 14, 2008, 4:07 PM
u work in NC dont you
tanya_ATT

Dec 14, 2008, 8:34 PM
correct
sweetcherrygurl

Dec 15, 2008, 9:55 PM
in Cali its if you work more than SIX hours you have to take a 30 min. break.... more than 8 you have to take a 30 min and a 15 min.
more than 8 hr shift is overtime.

our bosses dont make us take it though so we get 9 1/2 hour shifts with only bathroom breaks and running next door to togo's.

yay for overtime...... still would be nice if i was getting paid more an hour..... lol

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.