Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

Verizon No Longer Offering Instant Rebates Online...

SEM

Oct 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Who else is extremely happy about this? That was the only major edge that the online store had on us, and now its gone. 🤣
Nadesico81

Oct 15, 2008, 2:14 AM
Mail in rebates are BS if you ask me. Only in the USA do you ask a cuty to pay X ammount of cash now. Fill out a form then send a little bit of paper away in the mail to get some more green paper back with dead presadents on it.

I call Shinanigans *goes and gets his broom*
coldouthereND

Oct 15, 2008, 7:14 AM
As a Verizon customer, I'm not thrilled about it at all...to be honest I hate going into the store for anything, let alone purchasing new equipment...I'll probably still online for the convenience of having it delivered to me so I don't have to spend an hour in the store...if I've waited this long for a new phone, I think I can handle the overnight shipping that's advertised for on-line orders...
devilsmafia

Oct 15, 2008, 1:05 PM
yeah but if the phone reaches your house and it's defective, won't you have to go to a store anyways to exchange it? 😛
ajstrong

Oct 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm with ya 🙂. totally worth it for me; as a consumer, yea, it still kinda sucks, but when they streamlined the process in feb/march, that helped alot.
dalily21

Oct 15, 2008, 12:30 PM
I work in CS and I love it too! No more having to worry about customers saying they get a better deal online and wanting us to give it to them.

Anyone think they might bring it back though based on customer's feedback? They were going to start charging for shipping through the internet but they canned that within a few days.
cellularconnection

Oct 15, 2008, 2:18 PM
I am really looking foreward to this. This puts my company right inline with corporate pricing with some of our most popular phones (and cheaper in some cases)

While I would rather just give a customer the 50 as an instant rebate, I'm glad it's universal across the board now. No more "It's $50 cheaper online." 😁

I bought my first verizon phone online and hated everything about it. I researched online and thought I would like it. I'm one of those people that if I decide to get something online, I'm not going to force a salesperson to spend time with me going over a product he'll never see the sale for (coems from being in a family full of retailers).

No matter how convenient it becomes to order online, there is NOTHING that...
(continues)
Nadesico81

Oct 16, 2008, 2:14 AM
Agreed makeing the playing feild level is important. You cant rob peter to pay paul for very long before it hurts a companys sales. All contract phones should be free two day shipping if you ask me. Vodafone does this with the exception of Sat and Sun delivery for only a whole 5.00 pounds more.

As for me I bought my last phone on a whim from customer service. Vodafone upgraded me early into a phone that was not out in the retail shops.

Sony C902 best phone I have ever had. Its also the new James Bond phone. Kick ASS!
cellularconnection

Oct 16, 2008, 7:36 AM
I actually think that phones should be more expensive across the board, maybe even full retail without the contracts. That way customers would be a bit more careful with their phones.

Giving a phone at a discount is great, but too many customers assume that just because they already have a contract, they can get any phone they want for free.
llama

Oct 16, 2008, 8:29 AM
cellularconnection said:
even full retail without the contracts.

VZW DOES offer that option.
cellularconnection

Oct 16, 2008, 9:02 AM
I know they do. What I am saying is that I feel that pushing phones to be "always free" creates a lot of issues for a company because I've seen countless customers end up badgering customer service long enough so they get another "free phone" without insurance, without a new contract, because they feel like since the first one was free, that's how much they all should be.
llama

Oct 16, 2008, 9:13 AM
customers have selective hearing. They only hear what they wanna hear.
cellularconnection

Oct 16, 2008, 9:33 AM
Oh I know.

My Regional wouldn't let me stock Q-tips though.
kapwww

Oct 16, 2008, 10:59 PM
With the economy the way it is, I would bet more people were buying online to save their precious money. The stores took a huge hit in September and October wasn't starting out much better. Switch to MIR and the internet loses its pricing advantage on most of the phones. With that advantage gone, why wait even for overnight shipping when you can go to a store and have a phone in an hour or less at the exact same price?

I think Corp is trying to drive business back into the stores to keep shareholders happy.
cellularconnection

Oct 17, 2008, 4:37 PM
This makes sense.

I also think that the stores started becoming more vocal about losing customers to internet pricing. Telling people that most customers are uninformed about the pricing available to them is a joke anymore. I live in the boonies and I would bet 85%+ of the people who come in already have an idea how much the phones they are looking at cost.

After they dropped the "instant" rebate. We actually beat corporate pricing on a few phones.
Saint.Patrick

Oct 17, 2008, 4:44 PM
I'll tell you how corporate wireless carrier retail stores can crush indirect channel stores plain and simple. Give the best customer service possible and know your products inside and out. From my experience with wireless dealers is that even though they often may offer a particular handset less expensive than a retail store, their knowledge or lack there of is quite apparent. At least that is what I've witnessed in my area. Besides, retail stores can handle pretty much the majority of issues a customer may experience where as dealers usually end up either having to call the wireless carrier's customer care department, sending the customer to the corporate retail store, or both. Personally, I would love to see every the US Top 3 Wireless Ca...
(continues)
cellularconnection

Oct 17, 2008, 4:53 PM
I am pretty knowledgeable about the phones I sell. Two people I work with used to run the tech centers for verizon in the DC are so they know more about the inner workings of phones than any single person should. And yet they still have to call a lot of issues in. Not because they can't help, but because we do not have the permission to help.

The only reason I have to call customer service is because they do not authorize my company to process fru claims, early requests for upgrades, or allow us to train technicians to try and fix phones in store. We can't see notes on the account, access accounts if the person forgot their password, etc.

The problem isn't a lack of knowledge, the problem is that there is a lot companies like veriz...
(continues)
cellularconnection

Oct 17, 2008, 4:57 PM
I should also add that it is my experience that a lot of the "dealers" are friendlier to the customers than any corporate store I've been around here.

In fact, when I switched to verizon I did it online because the corporate store (the only one in my town) could care less about me because I didn't want a blackberry/smartphone.
yeahright

Oct 17, 2008, 9:59 PM
just a small suggestion.. I have been on this forum for a long time and I will say there are some drawbacks of blurting out where you work on here. Lets just say not all employers are thrilled about there employees on here blabbing about things they shouldn't. Just a suggestion..but I have witnessed this cause problems for people on here in the past.
sprintguy19

Oct 17, 2008, 4:55 PM
Why Best Buy? Their sales people know nothing, and since they don't work on commission, they care even less.
Saint.Patrick

Oct 17, 2008, 4:59 PM
At least in my neck of the woods, the Mobile Wireless section of the Best Buy store is staffed with very educated people. How do I know? I've secret shopped them posing as your run of the mill customer now of only our products and services/Sprint but of our wireless competitors. We've actually recruited some of these Best Buy employees to our corporate retail stores and theses guys/gals are doing an awesome job now.
sprintguy19

Oct 17, 2008, 6:14 PM
So you don't think there are any good sales people who are knowledgable and take pride in their work at an indirect dealer?
Saint.Patrick

Oct 17, 2008, 6:26 PM
May the rivers in GA run red with the blood of the slaughtered indirect dealers as the sky is darken by the billows of black smoke of their burning building while the tormented screams of pain and suffering from those dealers left alive fill the air.
In other words, more pain than pleasue I've experienced with dealing with the various dealers in our region.
kapwww

Oct 17, 2008, 7:58 PM
And in my region, I always clean up the mistakes made by the corp reps. So it goes both ways.
SEM

Oct 19, 2008, 12:51 PM
Nobody is ever going to win this battle. Bottom line is, there are shady and unknowledgable sales rep in most corporate and indirect stores. My personal opinion: If you need to put down other locations to get your sales, maybe you should look for an occupation outside of wireless sales.
The New ATnT Wireless

Oct 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
Your company is only worth 3 dollars a share, less than a gallon of gas!
CBR600

Oct 19, 2008, 11:32 AM
Saint Patrick you seem to talk out of your ass on every forum i come across....and never know what youre talking about. not to meantion you believe in fairy tales like "the holy bible". I for one AM an indirect agent of VZW. I have my own customer base that comes to ME. Noone like going to corp stores. There is a half hour+ wait and instead of knowing their product the stuff 1. high end devices 2. data 3. accessories down every customers throat. My company goes to every training corp employees go to. I know every one of my products inside and out. so you sir are wrong. you fail at life. give up. oh and gods fake.....yeah thats just a story dude....shouldnt take it so seriously

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.