Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

The potential sale of Sprint's iDEN wireless network

Saint.Patrick

Oct 7, 2008, 4:53 PM
How may forum members here feel that divesting of Sprint's iDEN wireless network would be a positive initiative on Sprint's part? I started with Sprint in one of their Nextel Communications branded (post merger) retail stores and by sales ratio was 90% CDMA and 10% iDEN. If one of my customers/potentials did not need a rugged phone, GPS/LBS applications or PTT, I steered the person as far away as possible from a Nextel wireless device. Why you may ask? The sound quality of iDEN is definitely not better than CDMA (anyone remember TDMA?) and if you attempted to use a Nextel wireless device outside the iDEN network, you were FUTA royally with pretty much a paperweight in your hand. I pray every day good ole Danny Boy unloads iDEN to someone els...
(continues)
abrakadabra holmes

Oct 7, 2008, 5:14 PM
didnt sprint sell their towers? wouldnt that technically mean that they wouldnt divest their iden network, but rather just terminate the use of the service?
Nadesico81

Oct 8, 2008, 1:53 AM
They just sold the physical towers thats it they still own the Bandwith used on the towers. Its very common for cell phone providers to have a third party own a tower.

Just becouse a carrier sells there towers does NOT make them a MVNO.

Most of the GSM towers in the UK were once owned by the Goverment to jump start the uptake of GSM from Analog.

But who ever gets the iDEN network has the potential to do something good with it. Sprint is selling nation wide network for dam cheap if you ask me.

I think when Sprint Nextel merged all Sprint wanted was the Business customers from Nextel.
BigShowJB

Oct 8, 2008, 3:11 PM
duh
hereticcavi

Oct 8, 2008, 3:09 PM
thats 100% exactly what i would have said.....btw RC in the midwest

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.