Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

antenna strength

solodolo

Oct 2, 2008, 10:00 AM
and the stupidity continues...

C: I want the iphone
M: what are you looking to use on the phone?
C: GPS, I dont want to pay any extra!
M: Well sir all of the phones that are capable of integrated GPS require you to have an internet connection.
C: Well these phones that we have are garbage, I have been inside or around 3 different at&t stores and dont have service! See im in here right now and i dont even have full bars!!!

just for future reference the stores are not composed of the service towers, and my signal is fine but it could be your water/physically damaged phone! 🤣
rhi_nan

Oct 2, 2008, 10:32 AM
I love "mysteriously" water damaged phones. It's never their fault.. don't you know this 🙄
eljeffe666

Oct 2, 2008, 10:34 AM
i like the woman that came in and said the phone has not worked for 3 days

so i open it up and there is water inside the phone the batt is actually dripping

well the phone has been messed up for 3 days and i just dropped it in water when i was coming in to the store

🤨
rhi_nan

Oct 2, 2008, 10:39 AM
riiigghhht 🤣

We had a woman who admittingly water damaged her phone but was still furious with us because we couldn't replace it. 2 days later she comes to tell us her phone is fine now because her friend's mother's cousin's dog said to put her phone in rice 🤨 And she's now upset with us because we didn't tell her to put her phone in rice 🤨 🤨
eljeffe666

Oct 2, 2008, 11:12 AM
i tell everyone that method

tell them it dont always work but it may fix it long enough to give them a phone till they get a chance to get a new one
rhi_nan

Oct 2, 2008, 11:22 AM
I had never heard of it before... so i was like 😳 you put your phone in rice. 🤨 Well, whatever works. haha. It does make sense though.
eljeffe666

Oct 2, 2008, 11:25 AM
ya the rice actually pulls the moisture out of the air and thus out of the phone

it usually works if they take the battery right away and dont try to use the phone

but the main prob is everyone tries to power on the phone as soon as it happens and fry the equipment
Nadesico81

Oct 3, 2008, 3:04 AM
Most new phone shut them selfs off when they come in contact with water. It helps to save the device.

But putting the phone in rice hummmmmmm thats a new one on me. In theory it kind of makes sense.
dshearn

Oct 4, 2008, 8:44 AM
When any electronic device falls in water....

pull the batt.

Dunk the phone in alcohol . Shake it ( not stirred)

IT will displace the water, leave the device out to Dry.

After 24 hours... put the batt back in and power it up.

When i was in the Petro-chemical industry we use to CLEAN c-boards with that method.
softshoe

Oct 4, 2008, 2:17 PM
If you say that some drunk dumba$$ is going to dip the phone in Schnapps and then where would they be?
kapwww

Oct 4, 2008, 7:28 PM
The problem is that the some phones have foam insulation and the speakers are usually made of some type of paper-based material. The glue on the foam insulation and the speakers can get messed up if they get wet, be it alcohol or water.

I used to take the phones apart and dunk the boards but I would unplug the speakers and cables, etc. After the dunking, a soft scrub with a clean toothbrush would help remove corrosion that had already started to form. I saved many phones that way. I only did it for people with no insurance or upgrade options.
wizardofCroz

Oct 4, 2008, 12:55 PM
that makes a little more sense than some idiot coming in complaining that their phone doesn't work because someone told them to microwave it after they water damaged their phone.
dalily21

Oct 2, 2008, 11:01 AM
I remember this call from a long time ago:

I actually did have this customer who did admit to the water damage.

The customer was having some type of problems with the phone (I think internet access). She remembered someone had told her to remove the batter on the phone when the phone was on. She did so, but at that time she was walking out of somewhere and a "drip" of water got in the inside of the phone on the exact spot of the water damage indicator.

I work in CS so I didn't see the phone that was water damged but the store stated in the remarks that it was severely water damaged.
rhi_nan

Oct 2, 2008, 11:08 AM
if it's water damaged... it's water damaged. Why customers think their phones should be waterproof, I'll never know. They wouldn't take their stereo system back to the store, complaining because they spilled a drink on it and now it doesn't work right... It's an electronic. It does not play nice with water.
eljeffe666

Oct 2, 2008, 11:14 AM
well i will give them a little credit on one particular phone

everyones sensor is the same way its always tripped for every custy

but i tell them even though i may believe u the manufacture wont and there is noting i can do to fix that
rhi_nan

Oct 2, 2008, 11:24 AM
yeah, there are cases where it could have just been like steam or something and the indicator is a little pink but if the it's supposed to be white and it's beet red... there's no can do for you. 😎

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.