Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 70 replies

Hurricane Ike

stinkercole

Sep 13, 2008, 10:50 AM
I've been watching CNN and the weather channel and for some reason I feel sorry for the people that stayed and have no electricity

is there any reports of any problems with cellular service in southern TX, I work for USCC and we don't have coverage down there so nothing here.
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
If people stay in an area that is getting hit by a hurricane that they were well aware of prior to hitting thier area, then i don't feel bad for them. How much common sense does it take to get out of the area for a few days until the storm passes? That's thier problem. They were genious enough to stay around, they can be genious enough to figure out how to get thier cell service back up and running.
BLEDSOE

Sep 13, 2008, 11:30 AM
Exactly...and then they are endangering(sp) other's lives to rescue them or restore services when they disregarded mandatory evacuation. WTF??
stinkercole

Sep 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
Thats what I was thinking, but for some reason, i felt like I was being heartless. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way.
dshearn

Sep 13, 2008, 5:43 PM
Thats a great point....

As some one who was rescued by the Coast Guard during Katrina(long story).

this cant be stressed enough...Its not only your life....
fivedollarsimcard

Sep 13, 2008, 2:01 PM
I don't usually point out spelling mistakes but... Misspelling genius is just too good to pass up. ๐Ÿคฃ
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 2:31 PM
Ahhhhh, you caught me, lol. I was in a hurry when i was trying to type that cause i had a customer standing behind me waiting for me, lol.
fivedollarsimcard

Sep 13, 2008, 2:36 PM
Don't worry, you'll get me too eventually ๐Ÿคฃ . I misspell all the time.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 2:32 PM
all of your responses I am terribly offended.

My family chose to stay in Houston
2 million people in Houston were ordered not to evacuate.

My mom had to work all day yesterday and couldn't evacuate so my entire family decided to stay behind with her so she wouldn't be alone

Now I can't get a hold of anyone in my family because of no electricity and no cell phones..

I would think you people would have a bit more sympathy towards the people of Galveston and Houston
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 2:38 PM
sorry, but if a hurricane is coming my way and someone tells me not to evacuate, i'm giving him the middle finger and getting the hell outta dodge for a few days. It's just common sense to not be in the area that will probably be devestated by a hurricane that you knew was coming your way. Perhaps I could have some sympathy for anyone such as the eldery, who had no means of evacuation on thier own. But i can't really feel bad for people who had the means to escape for a bit but choose to wait it out.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 2:44 PM
I am just going to leave this discussion before I get banned

this is MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS

I can't believe you would be so cold hearted
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 2:51 PM
Truth hurts sometimes. They're retarded for staying IN THE PATH OF A HURRICANE. If they'd rather WORK, than be SAFE... well... they choose their own fate.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 2:55 PM
I really hate you right now
Duct Taper

Sep 13, 2008, 2:56 PM
I dont normally pray, but my prayers go with you and your family
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 2:57 PM
Thank you so much ๐Ÿ™‚
dalily21

Sep 13, 2008, 3:02 PM
I'm sorry ellie about how everyone is being. I hope your friends and family over there are okay. I have someone in the Woodlands area who called me this morning and left a message that they were okay but of course no power. I'm sure everyone else there is doing okay
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:19 PM
Thank you!

I hope your loved ones are doing ok with no power..I'll keep them in my prayers ๐Ÿ™‚
Duct Taper

Sep 13, 2008, 3:12 PM
๐Ÿ˜ Im still gonna make it up to you ๐Ÿ˜›
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 3:01 PM
You're not the first or the last kiddo. It's called reality. Live in it once and a while. They choose to stay knowing what could happen. Do I wish them dead? No. They knew what it meant to stay. They took that choice. That's a dumb thing to do under any circumstances.

Say... aren't you the one that had issues with the ex's family being turned down because you didn't want to upset your girlfriend?

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

How selfish.
ralph_on_me

Sep 13, 2008, 3:10 PM
I DO feel sympathy for the people in Houston, but not for the ones who chose to stay behind in Galveston. Of course some people couldn't leave easily, but the rest are stupid. Galveston island will be practically barren after this has passed, but hopefully it will clean some of the crap off their beaches.

That aside, I think the Houstonian's will be fine. The city planners will use the federal money given to them from this to tear down the old and decrepit and build up new and better facilities. Texan's aren't whiners. On the plus side, it would also be great if this storm displaces those Katrina squatters who are still mooching off of Houston's tax dollars.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:22 PM
ralph_on_me said: it would also be great if this storm displaces those Katrina squatters who are still mooching off of Houston's tax dollars.

๐Ÿคฃ

That made me laugh. Its partially true though..but I always feel bad for Katrina victims..but its been waaaay too long now
xombyme

Sep 13, 2008, 3:07 PM
maybe i dont know how it works but i used to feel the way if they stayed...screw em but my boss expalined to it to me in a whole other way. most of us live paycheck to paycheck so for me to just hear ....yeah umm you need to move or at least get a hotel...hell there are sometimes i sure cant afford that so what other options i got. i dont have any family and all my friends live in the same area so in that thought process i guess i would have to be one of the ones that stay
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:26 PM
THAAAAAAAAANK YOU! ๐Ÿ˜
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:38 PM
selfish?

You don't even know me.

And for your information I helped his family regardless of what my ex said...so ask before you assume.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 3:41 PM
Why would I ask? You alsready answered it.

Ellie004 said:
I told them no

But I still feel like a bad person โ˜น๏ธ

Forgive me for not assuming you didn't tell them no.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:43 PM
Ok but you have no idea what happened after that thread was posted.

I ended up helping them out

So don't call me selfish because I am the least selfish person anyone knows
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 3:49 PM
Again, how am I to know that when you post this :
Ellie004 said:
I told them no

But I still feel like a bad person โ˜น๏ธ

Do you read every single post in the lounge that day? I don't.

Sorry I am not a mind reader. Forgive me if I consider you telling the world that you refused assistance to 5 year olds because you want something nice to eat ( ๐Ÿ‘€ ) every night.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:56 PM
Me telling the world?

whatever.

That subject is the least of my frustrations and problems right now...I helped them thats over with..now I'm just trying to get a hold of my family.
xombyme

Sep 13, 2008, 3:57 PM
yeah i laughed prety hard on that last post
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 3:58 PM
I'm glad all of you are getting a good laugh out of millions of peoples pain
xombyme

Sep 13, 2008, 4:21 PM
not i meant it was funny with the good thing to eat comment
xombyme

Sep 13, 2008, 3:38 PM
i think im gonna vomit now that was the nicest thing ive said in like 10 years....my little coal heart hurts
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 3:57 PM
None of us are saying that we wish misfortune to your friends and family. I hope everyone makes it out ok. It's just that if you choose to stay in an area that's going to be pulverized by mother nature, you shouldnt expect people to sympathize with them when they should have had the common sense to leave before the devastation strikes. Regardless of your financial situation leave and stay at a homeless shelter for a few days if you have to.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:00 PM
Gas is also an issue.

Sometimes you can't just pick up and leave

There are so many reasons my family could not leave. And regardless if any of you were trying to offend the people of the Houston/Galveston area what you all are saying is rude...and it deeply offended me because that is my hometown.
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 4:05 PM
Hey i'm just saying, if it were my hometown that was right in the path of a hurricane, i'd do whatever i can to make sure i'm not in it's path. I'll hop on a damn tandem bike with my family if i have to to get out of there. I just don't really think there are any good excuses as to why you shouldnt leave and go somewhere else that won't be destroyed by mother nature.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:05 PM
Why was it your family didn't leave? That's right... they decided to stay and go to work. Gotta have that money.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:06 PM
I can't even begin to explain how hurt I am by all of your comments
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:13 PM
Then why do you keep feeding into it? You keep coming up with lame excuses as to why they stayed. Seriously... Work is not a reason to stay. Period. Trust me, if I was in a hurricane situation, and my job told me I HAD to stay and work, I would quit on the spot. If they fired me, I could sue them into the ground for forcing me into a life-threatening situation with out adequate protection.

They chose to stay for a stupid reason. Face it.

I am not saying I want them hurt. I am not saying I want to make you feel bad. I happen to feel myself that you are handling it like a child. It's normal to feel scared and upset when you can't get a hold of your family.

Making excuses will not make it better though.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:14 PM
You don't know anything about my mother so please just stop making your comments

You don't know anything about my family

Just stop...please ๐Ÿ˜ข ๐Ÿ˜ข
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:17 PM
Ellie004 said:My mom had to work all day yesterday and couldn't evacuate so my entire family decided to stay behind with her so she wouldn't be alone

She HAD to work? Who FORCED her to work during a Hurricane storm? Sounds like a poor company to me.

Then your entire family decided to stay? Because she decided to stay for WORK? Are you kidding me?
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:19 PM
My family is very close. My mom is alone...they weren't about to leave her behind by herself.

Yes its a bad company..they never let her off for anything..but she NEEDS her job..she has bills and rent..she works paycheck to paycheck.

just please just fu(k off and leave me alone

because of your cruel comments I'm already crying here at work..so please just learn when enough is enough.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:25 PM
My family is close to. The point is, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. If they chose to do what they did, then they chose to accept the consequences. Enough said.

Don't bother responding to my posts if you don't like what I have to say. Obviously if you keep replying with weak excuses, I'm going to continue. I'm sorry that you're crying at work.

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be at work. I wouldn't be on Phone Scoop posting to a stranger.

I'd be looking for my family. No matter what it took.
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 4:27 PM
Agreed! Good point!
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:32 PM
Fu(k you dude seriously
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:39 PM
There you go again. Why do you reply, when I TELL YOU that if you don't want me to reply then stop replying to me?
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:41 PM
B/c I am trying to defend my family
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:47 PM
Defend them from what? The Boogie man?
devilsmafia

Sep 13, 2008, 4:20 PM
F work. Hurricanes a commin, I'm out no questions asked. I'll call ya later to pick up my paycheck.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:20 PM
Exactly.
IrishCarBomb

Sep 13, 2008, 4:47 PM
You people are so dense... You actually think that the vast majority of people who stayed did so because they wanted to?

Not a lot of people have the financial means to come up with the money, at the drop of a hat, to flee a city for a week. That is like having a couple days to come up with the money for a family vacation, raise your hand if you can do that ๐Ÿคจ

If you have your hand up, please take that extra money and help out these people that just got rained on(Pun intended). They didn't make the hurricane, most didn't choose to live there, etc.

Good grief! Stay in a homeless shelter? They are full, even without hurricane evacuees being a part of the equation! Quit your job? Bills don't pay themselves, and Visa doesn't car...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 4:48 PM
You have no bills to pay if you're a dead man. That's reason enough for me to leave.
IrishCarBomb

Sep 13, 2008, 5:13 PM

If you don't have the money or the means, you are not going anywhere!

And congratulations on abandoning your family!
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 5:16 PM
You don't have $50 and a car?
IrishCarBomb

Sep 13, 2008, 5:20 PM
I do, but a lot of people don't! That is my point!

DENSE!
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 5:22 PM
Don't live in an area prone to hurricanes then? If you're helpless then so be it. Nature kills off the weak. Not everyone was meant to live.
stinkercole

Sep 13, 2008, 7:02 PM
If you can't leave town, there is FREE transportation to shelters, I understand that being finanically stricken but there is help out there, to stay safe. I honestly think it has to do alot with pride. I'm not attacking anyone specific so don't take this out of context. I was trying to make this cell phone related.
Ellie004

Sep 13, 2008, 4:50 PM
Nicely put..thank you so much for being so understanding
IrishCarBomb

Sep 13, 2008, 5:04 PM
Your welcome! I actually understand that it isn't a matter of "Hurricane, gotta go" and you just leave. There is always the money factor, and other factors, like animals, etc.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 5:15 PM
You go ahead and risk your life for money and animals that I can assure you would leave you high and dry if they had a choice in the matter.
metalsmokearsenal

Sep 13, 2008, 8:02 PM
I know I am not part of this thread but some of you guys are right.. people were put in that possition without knowing.. and you know what? if I would be living there I would not have been able to afford leaving..even if i wanted to.. In fact I live in the RGV and for the first few days it was said to hit us.. I am thankful it didn't because that would have been devistating.. What would happen to our jobs? To our vehicles? Our home?? I dont know about most people but those three things go hand-in-hand. I was not prepared to loose either..
The least people can do is be sympathetic and thankful for what they have and didnt loose.
Ellie, I am sorry that you are in such a stressful situation and I wish you and your family the best. ๐Ÿ™‚
softshoe

Sep 13, 2008, 8:21 PM
Does anyone else dis approve of the people on this forum who emotionally and verbally abuse others just to raise their self esteem or make themselves feel better about their day? ๐Ÿคจ

Ellie if I was religious I would pray for your family.

That's all I have to say, you know who you are........maybe.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 13, 2008, 8:35 PM
Why do you assume people do it to make themselves feel better and raise their self-esteem?

That's just a common place stance for those people who are usually to emotionally shallow to think for themselves.

Maybe some people are just fed up with all the retards that are running around getting emo over every situation?
devilsmafia

Sep 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
Who's being mean? No one is. OfAMigtDivine and I were only stating our opinions on the fact that no matter what, when there's a hurricane coming, you get the hell out of town. Money, jobs, and homes don't compare to your own life. Those 3 things can be replaced, your life can't.
Ellie004

Sep 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
with the economy like it is right now

a job is hard to come by these days
devilsmafia

Sep 14, 2008, 1:04 PM
If jobs are so hard to come by, then why are there a million job postings in the newspapers and online sites like careerbuilder and monster?
Ellie004

Sep 14, 2008, 1:07 PM
Whatever I am not arguing with anyone today ๐Ÿ™„

Jobs are hard to find.Period. End of story.
devilsmafia

Sep 14, 2008, 1:12 PM
If i really wanted to i could go down to a local temp agency and get a new job tomorrow and start the next day. Doesnt seem that hard.
Ellie004

Sep 14, 2008, 1:18 PM
Good for you
devilsmafia

Sep 14, 2008, 1:23 PM
If i can do that so can just about everyone else.
Ellie004

Sep 14, 2008, 1:23 PM
Alright! great! fine! let it go!

Move on!

damn

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.