Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

Sell Phones in the dark...

aguy-frombc

Sep 6, 2008, 8:59 AM
Anyone else here expected to sell phones wiothout electricity?

Any else expected to drive 30+ minutes to work in a hurricane?

Anyone?
Sonniku

Sep 6, 2008, 9:05 AM
*raises hand* ME! ME!

I indeed had to drive 30min to work today. 😁

As for the lack of electricity, can't say that's happened yet. However, one can hope! 😁
aguy-frombc

Sep 6, 2008, 9:09 AM
try, "you know better than to call to ask me that." as the response when the power went out last and we had asked to go home...
BigShowJB

Sep 6, 2008, 9:24 AM
I'm sorry, but if a hurricane's knocking on my town's door, and I'm told to go in anyway....

no.

I'm sorry.

My life is too valuable to me to be spending it driving through 75-90 mph winds, rain, an lightning with possible spinnoff tornados to be selling cell phones in the dark to people who have mostly left the area already if they can help it.
now I know hanna is only a cat 1. but I still don't think so. I'd rather call in sick today than dead tomorrow.
llama

Sep 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
Dude, there are no 90 MPH winds from this tropical storm...

Y'all like to over-exaggerate much?
BigShowJB

Sep 6, 2008, 12:12 PM
ok this one might not be 90 mph, but I'm speaking in general terms.

I've been near an f2 tornado. once. that's all the experience I needed to know that I don't like winds strong enough to turn over a car. And I don't want to be in the car if it does turn over.
dualitycomplex

Sep 6, 2008, 9:04 PM
i've sold phones without electricty before it sucks ass, when i called in and told them i had no power and i quote to the best of my memory.

"do manual contracts, call into activations on your cell phone, and do manual sales reciepts, if a credit card purchase is done call them in over the phone and take an inprint. why do you think we provide you with cell phones manual contracts and calculators."

I was so pissed...i basicly set up follow up appointments for them to come in later that day or the next day when we had power.

Still i dont know what pissed me off more, my employer wanting me to do that or the people who came in trying to buy phones in a store with no power. ( the whole strip mall was dark )
robtheman

Sep 6, 2008, 11:39 AM
Move to Wyoming. They get 60+ mph winds on a daily basis.
UOQuack

Sep 6, 2008, 9:27 AM
I got a good one for ya. Couple years ago a buddy of mine was managing a store and the bosses forgot to pay the power bill. So he shows up for work, no electricity, nothing works. It's a Saturday, he calls the boss, asks can he go home since the power wont be turned back on until Monday when they can go down to the office and pay the bill. Boss says no, stay there and work your shift. Doing what? asks my friend. Sell accessories, says the boss. Hand write receipts, and when the power comes back on enter all your sales into the point of sale system. The sales associates he was to send home when they got to work. So he worked an 8 hour shift, in the dark, by himself, dealing with pissed off customers all day wanting to know why he cou...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Sep 6, 2008, 10:12 AM
I would have solved that issue with a simple note on the door.

"Closed due to Management irresponsibility to pay the electric bill. Any issues or questions about your account, please call this number (enter your bosses cell number here)"

Then I would have left.
UOQuack

Sep 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah the best part about that would have been the note would have to be hand-written, since you couldnt print it on the computers. But yeah, I told him pretty much the same thing, but he was afraid of losing his job. Needless to say, neither of us work for that company anymore.
emdogg

Sep 6, 2008, 6:10 PM
not yet... as soon as PR gets one i will be required to answer all the complaints of puertoricans with no service 😡

so you're not alone
Asprinttech

Sep 6, 2008, 6:40 PM
soo a few years back we had an ice storm, the whole mall closed, we had let one girl go early by like 4 hours.

I had to close and hoof it in the dark and ice and cold since it was the allmighty buck for the company. Hell even walked in when the snow was forming icey sheets on the hills and overpasses.
After those lapses in judgement, will never do it again. inclimate weather means im holing up and enjoying a good book.
emdogg

Sep 6, 2008, 7:03 PM
have done it too many times when i worked security..
Asprinttech

Sep 6, 2008, 8:55 PM
one time in band camp.. no wait when i was your age. BAH

ok about 5-6 years ago i was driving the early morning hours to work like 4am something for some sucky early am crap shift at a call center. (it does NOT snow that much here btw. good ole' pnw.) and the flurries were awesome.
by 9 am over a foot of white hell was fallen.
was a crappy drive, but what really capped it off was the 4 inches of freezing rain on top of said crap pack.
cellfiend

Sep 6, 2008, 7:03 PM
I drive 40 minutes to work and 40 minutes from work.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.