Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 50 replies

how to not have to send back your old phone with asurion?

beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 3:46 AM
i have a few ideas;

tell them you went fishing and it took a swim

tell them your dog ate it, and it hasnt passed through its bowels

tell them that you were crossing a small stream during a flash flood and your vehicle stopped working and they had to fish you out of a creek with a helicopter and you have no clue where you phone is but you now owe the state $7800 for the rescue

tell them your phone was so old that when the topless maid service came to clean your house they threw it away

tell them your wife dontaed it to charity because it was ancient

tell them your gay uncles neices 2nd cousin jed used it to call his probation officer and accidentially ran over it with his tractor (then send them a phone, in pieces, that you ...
(continues)
Ask The Shack

Jul 10, 2008, 8:25 AM
Simple, "I lost the phone".

|Done.
SprintXC

Jul 10, 2008, 8:32 AM
And if you made the claim out under "Damaged Beyond Repair?" what would you say then? Besides Beefer's coment of sending them a phone that is all in pieces that you got from a Threft Store.
BigShowJB

Jul 10, 2008, 10:11 AM
problem with the thrift store idea...
if you for get to take out the imei/esn sticker or it is the wrong model, they might catch that.

But why (other than to defraud Asurion) would you want to keep your old phone?
BLEDSOE

Jul 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
seriously...I filed an ins claim when my mother-in-law ran over her N75. Got it replaced stating that it was ran over. Received the replacement and boxed up the broken handset. Had to go to Wisconsin for three weeks for military stuff. Came back from Wisconsin...there sits the box with the N75 in it.

And...........nothing. No charge for failing to return broken equipment...period. My bill is the same as always. ๐Ÿ™‚
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
๐Ÿ‘€
BLEDSOE

Jul 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
mine did not still work...just forgot it... ๐Ÿ˜›
ElTriste

Jul 10, 2008, 4:30 PM
Like the shack man said (a brother in arms) just say you lost it. People trip off of water damage...but if you "lose" the phone...you'll get another one. SIMPLE AS THAT
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
then you may or may not have to file a police report, depending on which state you live in.
BLEDSOE

Jul 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
only if the ins company requires a police report...otherwise...who cares.
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 11:13 AM
i know how asurion works
cellfiend

Jul 10, 2008, 4:05 PM
You don't need a police report. If it's lost or stolen they just list the ESN in a directory that renders it unusable if anyone tries to activate it. Of course if your carrier uses SIM cards none of this matters.
SEM

Jul 10, 2008, 4:27 PM
I dont know if its the same in every state, but here in Ohio they require a police report or at the very least an officer's name and badge number for any lost/stolen phone claim.
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 5:24 PM
the point of my thread
cellfiend

Jul 10, 2008, 7:42 PM
SEM said:
I dont know if its the same in every state, but here in Ohio they require a police report or at the very least an officer's name and badge number for any lost/stolen phone claim.

Apparently it's not. When I talked to assurian they requiired no such thing.
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 5:24 PM
GSM is what im referring to.

they do and i have heard of police reports being required
cellfiend

Jul 10, 2008, 7:43 PM
beeferjay said:
GSM is what im referring to.

they do and i have heard of police reports being required

Oh..GSM. That's a whole other ballpark. Just say it's stolen and get a new SIM then you get two phones. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜

Nyuck nyuck nyuck..
beeferjay

Jul 11, 2008, 2:18 AM
but they require police reports in most majot metropolitan areas because of the high incidents of fraud, hence the thread.
Ask The Shack

Jul 11, 2008, 7:55 AM
You're basically coming on PS, and asking "How do I call insurance, make them send me a phone, and tell a lie that will let me keep my old one". You got an answer.

Stop being a tool. Look, if you're going to lie to the insurance company about loosing the phone, why don't you lie to the police about it also?

{police report]
Officer Smith states that some random tool says that he lost his phone, and doesn't know where he lost it. Officer "filed" his copy of report in shreader, and gave John Q Tool a copy.
[/police report]

Look, there's no way that you can just ask the insurance company for a new phone, and expect them to not either ask for:
A) the old phone back, or
B) a reason why you can't send the old phone back, and proof of s...
(continues)
beeferjay

Jul 11, 2008, 10:31 AM
sprint lover
beeferjay

Jul 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
obviously there is misinformation about the subject if i am getting all these different, ill-informed answers.

furthermore, if you find it your mission in life to seek out and confront people who are clearly making a thread in jest to ease the minds of the people that work in the wireless indusrty and anyone else who stumbles upon it, you have problems.

Maybe this is why you work at radio shack and i make more money than you.

(no reply needed)(this isnt an argument, arguing on the interwebs is mentally retarded)
Ask The Shack

Jul 14, 2008, 8:37 AM
Look, if you make more money then me (and quite honestly, you probably don't, because someone who has to boast about how much he makes to someone he doesn't know, and doesn't know the job of the other person is obviously trying to over-compensate), why can't you just simply buy a new phone Mr. Money Bags?

I'm not seeking out anything, you posted on a public forum, so you were the one seeking out advice. I gave it. Heck, if you wanna call me misinformed, why don't you call your insurance carrier, and aske THEM how you can do it? Because chances are, you know that they will cancel your coverage on the spot for trying to defraud them. Then again, they would be the ones who could give you the most informed answer, seeing how they would know t...
(continues)
burntbridges

Jul 14, 2008, 9:11 AM
wow.. getting kinda worked up over the intarwebz are we?
cellfiend

Jul 10, 2008, 4:04 PM
I'll make a long story short. If you say it is missing or stolen they list the ESN as being unusable by the cell carrier. If you say there is anything wrong with it they want you to send it to get your new phone.

And don't make the same mistake I did - if you cancel the process when you're on the phone with them then to do this next time you call requires you to fax them a bunch of crap and I'm not even sure if it works out yet. But they keep very accurate logs to ensure they don't get fux0red.
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 5:17 PM
which is why i came up with this brilliant thread
eljeffe666

Jul 10, 2008, 5:15 PM
and i ran it over with the lawn mower a few times b4 i noticed ๐Ÿ˜ข
beeferjay

Jul 10, 2008, 5:20 PM
one time, when i worked for att i told this lady...

ma'am are you sure you didnt have special bitch k cereal for breakfast?

then i proceeded to tell her i would send her a sample of honey nut shut the **** up cereal.
robtheman

Jul 11, 2008, 2:16 AM
I had one guy come into my store a while ago with a little lump of plastic in his hand. The guy was a realtor or something, and he had a 2 or 3 year old little kid. The kid apparently got upset that his dad was on the phone all the time so, when dad wasn't looking, the kid took the phone and hid it. In the oven. Phone was missing for two weeks so you can imagine what this thing looked like when he brings it into the store cradled in his hands.

That's a pretty good way to keep it.
beeferjay

Jul 11, 2008, 2:19 AM
i would have sent back that sh*t
robtheman

Jul 11, 2008, 2:20 AM
But...

"My kid hid the phone in the oven."

...works pretty well.
beeferjay

Jul 11, 2008, 2:39 AM
yeah, ive only had one insurance claim so far, in 2 years.

i like those new mokias that came out for t-mo but my sister and her fiance already got them.

the new 5310.

i like the headphone jack and charging port being seperate.

i might still get it.

but most likely the overpriced ROKR
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 3:29 PM
your an idiot. Asurion checks the old imei. So if you are planing on using both have fun in jail.
beeferjay

Jul 11, 2008, 3:43 PM
RUINER
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 4:20 PM
Tmo Slave said:
your an idiot. Asurion checks the old imei. So if you are planing on using both have fun in jail.

First of all, how will asurion know of the IMEI if he is selling a gsm phone? They shove their SIM card in. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with saying it is broken and then selling it. That is not fraud.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 4:30 PM
cellfiend said:
Secondly, there is nothing wrong with saying it is broken and then selling it. That is not fraud.

Sorry, I for the moment forgot that if it is broken you have to send it in. But still, if a SIM card is swapped I don't understand how the carrier and/or asurion would know the phone was claimed lost. And what if you found it later?
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 4:48 PM
Just because you put a new SIM in the phone it still registers the imei. I know tmobile can check imei usage when our demo phones get stolen to see who is using it. I know Asurion checks it to.

And yes it is fraud to lie to an Asurion saying your phone is lost and then turning around and selling it. It would be the same it you said your car was stolen then getting a new car through your insurance then selling your old car.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 5:03 PM
Tmo Slave said:
And yes it is fraud to lie to an Asurion saying your phone is lost and then turning around and selling it. It would be the same it you said your car was stolen then getting a new car through your insurance then selling your old car.

No. It's not the same. Stolen is different than lost. You don't "find" stolen things. You *find* lost things.
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 5:12 PM
Definition
In criminal law, fraud is the crime or offense of deliberately deceiving another in order to damage them รƒยขรขโ€šยฌโ€œ usually, to obtain property or services unjustly. [1] Fraud can be accomplished through the aid of forged objects. In the criminal law of common law jurisdictions it may be called "theft by deception," "larceny by trick," "larceny by fraud and deception" or something similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud »

You are deceiving Asurion for personal gain. You may think your smarter than the insurance company but your not. Lots of people before you have said they "lost" their phone. Thats why a lot of states require a police report. If you really want to file a phoney police report too have fun.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 5:19 PM
Tmo Slave said:
You may think your smarter than the insurance company but your not. Lots of people before you have said they "lost" their phone. Thats why a lot of states require a police report. If you really want to file a phoney police report too have fun.

Am I smarter than asurion? I guess that would be for the court system to decide. I hope it's worth it for them to pay for a lawyer since mine is free. Also, in the situation I gave you my actions are perfectly legal. I say it is lost. Then it is found. Lost things can be found. Lost things don't dematerialize into the 9th gate of hell.
BLEDSOE

Jul 11, 2008, 5:21 PM
Asurion states when the ins claim if filed that if you ever "find" the "lost" phone that you have to turn it in.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 7:07 PM
Whatever **** them I'd like to see them pay a lawyer more money than the phone is worth and deal with the legalities of the issue.
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 7:32 PM
Well since insurance fraud is a Federal offense yet I think they would probably come after you.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 8:31 PM
Tmo Slave said:
Well since insurance fraud is a Federal offense yet I think they would probably come after you.

Life insurance? I'd like to see them spend more than the phone is worth trying to get at me for doing what is 100% legal.
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 8:50 PM
100% legal? Obviously there is no point arguing with you. Your an idiot go ahead and try and committing cell phone insurance fraud. You may get away with it you may not. Good luck.
Juanbyjuan

Jul 12, 2008, 8:22 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha he's f'ed if he gets caught. Sorry... a $50 deductable isn't worth a couple years in jail.
poweredup

Jul 12, 2008, 9:52 AM
cellfiend said:
Whatever **** them I'd like to see them pay a lawyer more money than the phone is worth and deal with the legalities of the issue.

dont worry, they dont hire lawyers to find out whos wrong or right, you will be charged $200 on your bill when/if the lost/stolen esn/imei turns up on someones account and will not be refunded until said phone is back and accounted for in asurions hands... nuff said.
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 5:44 PM
Yes lost things can be found but you didn't loose it you just said you did. It would look pretty suspicious if you tell them you lost your phone then a week later you find it and it ends up on ebay.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 7:06 PM
Suspicious yes. Fraud no.
Tmo Slave

Jul 11, 2008, 7:23 PM
fraud Audio Help /frรƒโ€ฐโ€ยd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[frawd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
รƒยขรขโ€šยฌโ€œnoun 1. deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.
2. a particular instance of such deceit or trickery: mail fraud; election frauds.
3. any deception, trickery, or humbug: That diet book is a fraud and a waste of time.
4. a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

Here you go since you obviously don't know the definition of the word Fraud.
cellfiend

Jul 11, 2008, 8:33 PM
It's not legal fraud without a legal conviction. Get that through your head since you obviously don't understand the legal system.
60dollarcarcharger

Jul 12, 2008, 11:04 AM
(International Mobile Equipment Identifier)

A 15-digit number (composed of four parts) that uniquely identifies an individual wireless device. The IMEI is automatically transmitted by the phone when the network asks for it. A network operator might request the IMEI to determine if a device is in disrepair, stolen or to gather statistics on fraud or faults.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.