Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Sic of work? Sick @ work? At least you didn't get fired!!!!! OMG

sickandfired

Feb 13, 2008, 4:45 AM
I have to admit that I don't work for a wireless company. That is, any more. At the young age of 22 I thought I'd finally found the perfect job. This job was mentally challenging, paid well, provided some much needed social interaction & most importantly didn't physically drain me. You see since graduating from HS I found it hard to get a job that didn't overwhelm me. Soon after my birth I was diagnosed with Still's Disease, or juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Basically it means I get fevers, painful muscle spasms, excruciating arthritis & other symptoms. As you can imagine the combination of pain & a lot of medication causes me to have spells of dizziness & fainting. 🙄

To get to the point...I used to have this perfect job. I s...
(continues)
aussieguy73120

Feb 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Firstly, sorry about the job loss.

The lawsuit , you should consult an attorney about it, most will give a free consultation to determine if any case can be made.

Unfortunatley, it is common in call centers to be shafted. As staff we are expendable, to the point that there is no such thing as job security. I've worked in call centers over 10 years and it's the same in all of them.

Call centers are cattle farms, nothing more. Management has no responsibilty to employees at all, its just about the bottom line, crap rolls down hill and I'm a manager! I get it from above me and send it below.

Again, check with an attorney and good luck.
hardcorehavok

Feb 13, 2008, 10:46 AM
It's true. Call centers have great pay and benefits, but job security is not one of them. The center I used to work for was great for me. I am single and hardly ever get sick. However, if you failed the attendance policy Two and a half months straight, you were fired. It did not matter if you had a doctor's note, a pardon from the President or a letter from the Pope. There were no exceptions. Two and a half months may sound like nothing. No one stays sick for that long, right? Sickandfired does. And I know several others that do. On top of that, people with families and children have to leaves or take days off unexpectedly. The center I worked for had a new training class every week with around 20-30 people in it. It's like an added pressure...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Feb 14, 2008, 6:49 PM
Pretty much what they said.

Call centers are all over the place up here in N. Idaho. We have my place, there is a Qwest, Verizon (411) Coldwater Creek, Virgin Mobile, AAA, and at least three or four others that I don't know what they actually do... it's actually a major industry around here.

I have friend who have worked in at least four of the centers around here other than myself (which makes five) and sadly it is very normal for call centers to treat you like that. Mine generally does not and the AAA call center (which is not an out-sourcer) is, to here my friend who has worked there for two years and still does tell it, fantastic. He LOVES his job. I don't love my job, don't hate it, it's just a job... but it's better than most...
(continues)
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:06 AM
Whoever stepped in with the sealant to your job should be commended for looking out for the company's best interests. I hate to say it, but if I was a customer care supervisor or department manager, I would be more selective in the hiring process to ensure the candidates hired did not have long term illness that potentially could impede performance.
I Give Bad Advice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
Your idea borders on illegal discrimination, and there nothing like a lawsuit to ruin a companies best interests
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:10 AM
All you have to do to avoid illegal discimination is ask questions such as "Is there anything that may prevent you working standard scheduled shifts?".
I Give Bad Advice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:13 AM
Agreed, but many stupid people ask: Do you have a disability, and get themselves in trouble.......
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
I've done the HR routine before so I know to dot i's, cross t's and make damn sure my g's and q's are quite distictive from one another.
I Give Bad Advice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
Problem is "Reasonable Accomodations" is very vague. thats how lawyers stay in business
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
🤣 Just like the phrase "Employment can be terminated with or without cause."
I Give Bad Advice

Feb 13, 2008, 12:06 PM
Sometimes......
BigShowJB

Feb 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
And I mean I REALLY hate to say it, but bufford has a point about the company's interests. when you hire someone, you expect that person to be able to fulfill all the requirements of that job, including attendance.

That is where the validity ends.

There are also paragraphs in most state and fedreal disability acts that use the phrase "with reasonable accomodation." I'm pretty sure your case will be fought around that point. When your manager hired you, he believed that reasonable accomodations were possible and available including the attendance policy which sounds to be the upper management's issue here. If that the end reason why s&f was dismissed, I think it will be easier to fight.

If it was the on-the-phone performance, the...
(continues)
justiN0six

Feb 13, 2008, 5:48 PM
That's pretty much just a load of ****. There's plenty of college students that practically come in to work whenever they can. So some sort of part time schedule should have been set up rather then just cutting him from the team.

Call centers have just about the highest rate of turnover. Just having another person on the phone helps. Obviously you don't want it to be like that with every single employee- but at the same time if someones good at their job but can't do it all the time, firing them is just tearing up the karma rating.

Its morally not right.

Whats best for the company is the image. Does the agent sound good on the phone and rub the customer right as though it was the company treating the customer right? That's priorit...
(continues)
sickandfired

Feb 14, 2008, 2:47 AM
You know Bufford I'm not really shocked by your comments. I've been sick most of my life and looked down upon, spit on and overlooked for many opportunities. I understand that I'm not the ideal employee. But I really didn't miss that much work, customers loved me and I always treated everyone (customers and fellow employees alike) with integrity.

I hope this is just limited to my company. What if I showed up for an interview in a wheelchair? Would you not hire me because I would drive up medical insurance costs? What about a person, like my friend, who has seizures? Would you not hire me because I might hurt myself or miss a little work? If we go along with your theory women under 50 shouldn't be allowed to work at call centers be...
(continues)
Bufford T. Justice

Feb 14, 2008, 8:32 AM
You know what sickandfired? If it was legal, I would exclude women from being hired at where I work. No few months of missed work due to pregnancy nor a week a month of hormonial changes either. 🙂
Tmo Slave

Feb 14, 2008, 7:14 PM
Wow thats one of the most dick things I have ever heard. Just be glade you don't work in California because you would have been sued many times for wrongful termination. It very illegal to fire someone because of a disability or because someone is pregnat.
Heather

Feb 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
As long as you provided doctors notes, and was not cought out partying then you should have grounds. Did they give you an actual reason for termination?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.