Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

What Happens If Sprint Dies?

hoonder sneets

Feb 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
i have some friends and extended family who have sprint, we live in nor-cal, what would the experience be? like someone buying them out vs. just outright closing the doors? how long would it take from say this point until something like that might happen? i've never been in the industry during a closing or large buyout. got here after big yellow/black and big blue/orange did their deed...
Butthead007

Feb 11, 2008, 11:40 AM
Then they die out. Customers will be angry, perhaps another carrier will pick them up. Too hard to tell what is going to happen.
Nikoletta

Feb 12, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have at least one friend who would dance and sing hosannas if Sprint went under.

He's under contract with them and counting the minutes until he's out, they've been treating him like crap for ages and their service is not that great in the area, and their customer service has been nothing but trouble for him.
BigShowJB

Feb 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
tell your friend to go to cellswapper.com or celltradeusa.com and he can get out of that contract and start new with someone else.
ShackViperElite

Feb 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
Sprint's too big to die.

That's the plain and simple truth. While they are having problems, most of us who have been in the business a while realize that this is just a passing problem that every carrier faces at one time or antoher.

Sprint won't die though because their assets preclude them from that faith. They own major bandwidth, physical infrastructure and other intangibles that mean that at the very worst a buyout of the company is as bad as it'll get.

I know some Sprint bashers will take issue with that statement, but it's the truth and no ammount of kindergarten taunting will change that.
gozvzw

Feb 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
Then there will be a funeral, I think Chad would do the eulogy, I know the chubby sprint guy is his fav (He is also the first one in Chad's circle). I think they have a "special" relationship, I saw them making out at a party once, there cute together.
hardcorehavok

Feb 11, 2008, 1:28 PM
There are three possibilities with Sprint

1. Sprint Gets Bought Out

I believe that VZW is the most likely to buy them if they go under. This would expand their customer base and coverage (although not by much). It makes sense because VZW is the only other large CDMA carrier. If this were to happen, VZW would surely end iDen for good. Like the AT&T Wireless/Cingular buyout, VZW would only have access to the Sprint name for a short period. I believe it was 3-6 months with AT&T/Cingular. They would attempt to switch people ASAP, but there will always be those people who just do not want to switch even though they will have to eventually. Customers will be given all kinds of offers to switch and eventually, Sprint will be a distant memory....
(continues)
ajstrong

Feb 11, 2008, 1:36 PM
I agree with you, but have a question about how VZW would be able to buy them. Aren't they locked into vodafone, or whomever owns a controlling percentage? They would have to unload ALOT of cash to get out of that, then unload even more to snag .... 23,25 mil customers from the cdma side on sprint?

speculation's fun, just wondering if you have ideas about your one possible possibility.
hardcorehavok

Feb 11, 2008, 2:01 PM
I'm not sure how that Vodafone/VZW agreement works. I would think that Vodafone would be glad to see VZW add more customers. More customers equal more money.
ac4321

Feb 11, 2008, 2:22 PM
23- 25 million? It's about forty- forty three million CDMA subscribers, plus 10- 15 million iDEN subscribers...

Assuming the near worst, that Sprint continues to lose customers at the rate it did last year. That's about 2% per quarter, 8% a year. Even if you assumed in an increased rate of fleeing as time goes by, that would still take five to ten years of nothing but increasing losses before the doors would shut.maybe, the government would allow it. But, for now there's no real chance of a current competitor buying them out. A cable or other media or communications company might, but none have shown much interest.

It's odd how everyone wants to think out these doomsday scenarios for a company that has fifty+ million customers a...
(continues)
ajstrong

Feb 11, 2008, 2:55 PM
didn't know they were that large, thanks for the clarification.
hoonder sneets

Feb 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
vzw will just scoop up all the infrastructure, and put it in their back pocket for a rainy day. thats how we roll. lol!!! 😎

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.