Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

I quit

just_asking

Jan 20, 2008, 9:58 PM
After 20 something years I quit the rat Shack. I went from 18-20 dollars an hour a year ago xmas to less than 9 dollars last xmas. I am glad I have a government job and can afford to quit. I feel sorry for all the employees that the rat shack screwed this xmas that depened on the pay.
charliegirl

Jan 21, 2008, 10:52 AM
đŸ˜ŗ I'm sorry to hear that! I'm glad that you have something else to fall back on. Good Luck 😁
ImmixGuy

Jan 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
Did they change their Commission structure that mmuch?
charliegirl

Jan 21, 2008, 10:57 AM
😕 I have no idea. Maybe or maybe the ecomony is THAT bad.
ImmixGuy

Jan 21, 2008, 11:20 AM
Very possible....
just_asking

Jan 21, 2008, 5:35 PM
Worse

radio shack does not pay commission anymore. They pay a 2.5 % spiff on parts and assesories only. And you have to sell so much per hour to get that. It's 6.50-7-50 an hour. Plus spiffs. I can make more at Mcd's.
ShackViperElite

Jan 21, 2008, 5:45 PM
Commission is basically a thing of the past... at least as far as most of us remember it.

Now you make what is called "performance spiff". It's a percentage of your accessory dollars that you get if you make your $ / hour goal. I myself did pretty good during Christmas, but not as good as I did last year and the year before. For RS, sales were up big in my particular area. We had an awesome season.

To factor into things though, Sprint and ATT cut back out commissions. We make less SPIFF per activation and much less ring credit. Of course, this seems to be an industry standard. We keep hearing "bolt ons" with wireless, and the companies keep cutting back what we can count as a bolt on. On Sprint, we used to be able to count Road...
(continues)
just_asking

Jan 21, 2008, 8:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still like radio shack, I just can't afford to work there. RS has about average about 30-40% Gross profit margin. The average in the industry is about 15-20% They can afford to pay a little bit more. The accessory gross profit margin is 70-90% and they only pay a sales person 2.5% Example A store cost item is 4.00, they sell it for 30.00 dollars, if you make your numbers you get a spiff of .75 cents.

10000 dollars sold 1 week store cost maybe 6000 dollars. 4000 profit to pay bills

Old plan - average 5% of total sales. 500 dollars, plus spiffs Hours don't matter.

New plan - 40 hours at 7.00 dollars = 280 dollars plus 2.5 accessory spiff , plus regular spiffs

When a untrained, uneducated person ...
(continues)
ShackViperElite

Jan 21, 2008, 9:08 PM
No questions there... I totally agree.

Commission worked great for a lot of us. It helped retain a lot of really good employees. I think the up tops need to understand "commission" is not necessarily a bad word.

On the flip side, I'd have been happy if they would have upped our per hour pay, taken the accessory commission away and kept wireless spiff and service plan spiff.

Our turnover rate wasn't quite that bad.. I'd say we had a turn over rate of 40%.
just_asking

Jan 22, 2008, 7:06 AM
Service plan spiff, We got scr*wed big time on that one too.

old plan 25.00 plan 5% commission plus 10% spiff = 3.75

new plan maybe .80 cents.

They pay only 10% of radio shack profit. 25 dollar plan = 8 dollar profit = .80 cents.

We lost 75% or more of what we were making.

I had a 300 dollar service plan that I sold right after the switch, I was shocked of the difference that I made. old = 45 dollars new 8.32 cents.
Ask The Shack

Jan 22, 2008, 9:12 AM
Wow, I'm shocked. I went in there recently (November) to buy a CB radio antenna, and the way she described it, didn't seem that bad. The way I'm reading it here, they're getting hosed!

I remember working there about 3+ years ago. I used to be excited about going into work, because of the co-workers that I worked with, and the regular customers I would deal with. That was the best job I ever had, and I miss it.... ☚ī¸

I miss the days of the RSMC promo. It was an instant $10 SPIF with the first purchase. My co-workers would push cell phone (so would I, but not that hard), and I would push RSMC. They would need to take, from start to finish, 30~ minutes for a cell phone for an average SPIF of $30-$40, and I would bang out about 8 RSMC. It ...
(continues)
ImmixGuy

Jan 22, 2008, 9:33 AM
LOL. I rmember them days. God, In one month I sold like 75 phones or sdomething...I had like 375 from phone sales alone, +TSP, RSMC and certain handset sales were big too.
ShackViperElite

Jan 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
Thankfully they still give us $5 on the new RSAP cards. The Master Cards are hardly seen anymore...

On cell phones you can still make good money.. if...

* Family package
* High minute plan
* Unlimited Text or Data Package

I sold a 4 line deal a few months ago and wound up with $125 in spiff because I got them on a $120 a month plan + bolt ons.

I do agree though.. I miss the old commission. Its still a fun job though because, like others said, I have a great team to work with.
ImmixGuy

Jan 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, i had a pretty awesome one. I wokred at the Colonial Park Mall in harrisburg, it was crazy there. My manager and I used to go to Friday's when we closed the store and get hammered. Good Ppl. Good times.
just_asking

Jan 22, 2008, 1:09 PM
Yea, it was great. I enjoyed even while getting hosed. I started at RS full time back in 84, 86 went to work out of ft worth traveling. Did that for nine years all over the country. after getting burnt out traveling, got a job with the government. Stayed with RS Part time. I made 40g back in 98, averaging 35 hours. With today's pay scale, there is no way you can make 40 thou a year as a full timer, I don't care how many phones you sale in a 40 hour work week.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.