Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 26 replies

elderly custys..

primetastic

Jan 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
ok dont get me wrong some of my favorite regular customers are the older people who add phones for all 27 of the grandchildren or buy every accesory bc little johnny got an iphone for christmas..

but what is it about a cell phone that makes them do these quirky things? when i get one in my store the first thing they say is either:

1 Question for ya
2 Can you show me how to..
3 I just cant figure this thing out
4 Good your not busy cause this might take awhile..

and the thing that gets me the most is how the hold the phone in one hand and then use the index finger of the other hand to navigate..do you lose use of your thumbs once you get over 60?

-sorry for the rant
but does anyone else see this?
shanlynn

Jan 16, 2008, 2:10 PM
Unforunatly yes. I have yet to see a customer over 60 that uses their thumb to dial numbers. My friends dad is only 50 and he uses his index finger, but that is because he refuses to get glasses so he can actually read the darn phone.
nization

Jan 16, 2008, 2:37 PM
lol I had one this morning, came in saying the phone wouldn't ring and she couldn't turn the ringer up. I took it, held the # key and handed it back. ๐Ÿ˜ She then needed me to show it to her 4 times and then do it herself.
Don't you love it when they come in with a "big problem" and when it only takes you 2 seconds to fix they sit there and start thinking of other questions they can ask...such as "can you show me how to add these numbers?" and then when you show them they just have you do all of them.
Our store is near a very large retirement center. ๐Ÿคจ
ajstrong

Jan 16, 2008, 7:12 PM
I have some battery acid for you if you need any.... ๐Ÿ‘€
PhonemanJ

Jan 17, 2008, 5:14 PM
Actually, the reason most elderly people dial with their index finger is because that is how they learned to dial their home phones. Either they use the index finger to use the touch tone keypad on their home phone or started out using the old dial system, where you actually had to spin the "dial" on the phone to dial a number. Also, with the small size of most cell phones on the market, they are more comfortable and secure holding the phone in one hand and dialing with the other.
ReaperTut

Jan 17, 2008, 6:46 PM
we know this, but its still quirky to see. i agree, i must not like kids like i thought, cause old people and other peoples children make me uncomfortable. ๐Ÿคจ
Marcus Fenix

Jan 16, 2008, 5:34 PM
My favorite ones are the senior citizens who started launching SBDs while you're attempting to assist them with menu navigation on their handset and you know they're popping then out. Another good one is when they come in with their instruction manual to their handset still in it's original platics wrapper complaining they don't understand how to work their device.
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 16, 2008, 7:18 PM
Marcus Fenix said:
My favorite ones are the senior citizens who started launching SBDs while you're attempting to assist them with menu navigation on their handset and you know they're popping then out. Another good one is when they come in with their instruction manual to their handset still in it's original platics wrapper complaining they don't understand how to work their device.

Excuse me - could you raise the volume on my phone... could you show me again... I was too busy making rasin bran on your chair...
Marcus Fenix

Jan 16, 2008, 7:21 PM
What's worse is while burping out the brown air biscuits, they scoot around trying to dissipate it in the hopes no one will detect them.
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 16, 2008, 7:22 PM
Yeah... those oldies pull the rip cord, and crop dust my entire store.
Marcus Fenix

Jan 16, 2008, 7:32 PM
How did you get the name Blumpelstiltskin? I take it your screen name is a play on Rumplestiltskin. You must be a Howard Stern fan. ๐Ÿคฃ
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 16, 2008, 7:56 PM
Well... I
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 16, 2008, 7:56 PM
SHOO SHOO RETARDED FLU!
Marcus Fenix

Jan 17, 2008, 2:10 PM
๐Ÿคฃ good one.
a Girl

Jan 17, 2008, 3:25 PM
i adore the older customers. they are usually sweet and willing to try to learn. i just had an elderly couple call in and needed help with their landline. i work only with wireless so i transferred to their landline cust service and they reached an automated speech system. the system kept asking them general questions like "what is your ten digit landline phone number?" "please state the reason for your call". i think they thought it was a real person though and kept asking "who is this? whats your name?". luckily the were finally able to navigate the system and get to an agent
Marcus Fenix

Jan 17, 2008, 3:27 PM
I wish I could leave a plate of Exlax laced brownies for them to take just as they were leaving.
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 17, 2008, 3:29 PM
You do that - I'll open up a depends outlet across the street... we'll split the profits.
a Girl

Jan 17, 2008, 3:29 PM
you two are awful.
Marcus Fenix

Jan 17, 2008, 4:40 PM
Not as aweful as substituting their Polygrip denture cream with Preparation H.
a Girl

Jan 17, 2008, 4:43 PM
... ๐Ÿ˜•
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 17, 2008, 4:54 PM
I like.
Marcus Fenix

Jan 17, 2008, 4:56 PM
I thought that might float your boat.
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 17, 2008, 5:17 PM
"I need a phone with big numbers"

Have you ever had a customer with a hearing aid try and buy a phone? They put that phone next to their head and it lets out this deafening screech - jesus I nearly go deaf every time. Along with that, every dog in town show up, and it repels every mosquito.

classic.
Marcus Fenix

Jan 17, 2008, 5:45 PM
Imagine your lips turning inside out from that one.
Blumpelstiltskin

Jan 17, 2008, 6:35 PM
which lips?
Heather

Jan 17, 2008, 9:32 PM
I like the old ones. But the one I had the other day stunk up my hole store for two hours after he left. ๐Ÿ˜•
ReaperTut

Jan 17, 2008, 9:37 PM
ouch, did it smell like the air ionizers?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.