Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 19 replies

Pitch Help

princessn1984

Dec 9, 2007, 1:14 PM
Hey guys, I need help with my pitch to sell accessories and ABP (Auto-bill pay)... anyone have good suggestions?
Moruitelda

Dec 9, 2007, 1:30 PM
Figure out where and how they are using it and tailor your pitch to their situation. Ape instance, for a grandma buying an emergency phone for her car, I might say: "one problem with not using the phone regularly is that you can't always keep track of whether or not it is charged. Just to make sure that you don't wind up stranded somewhere with a dead phone, I would recommend picking up a car charger. By itself, that would usually cost you 29.99, but we have a great combo deal for 39.97 that includes the car charger, a leather case, and a headset in case you have to talk while driving for some reason and want to stay safe and legal. Even if you just put the car charger in your glove box and only use it once, it has paid for itself, but it ca...
(continues)
princessn1984

Dec 9, 2007, 1:34 PM
Thanks for the input. The major issue I have is that I am in a very... how do I put it nicely... high crime rate, low income area, where people would rather buy 5 off brand chargers than make the 1 time investment of $20-$25. There is a dollar store right next to us who sell similar leather cases for... $1, in this area, people don't want to spend the money... I have trouble selling FREE things here! 😢
Moruitelda

Dec 9, 2007, 1:44 PM
"you want the best? You want to look good? You want it to work? You get what you pay for, man, you know that. If you get some cheap charger it can destroy your phone, you'll still be in the contract and have to spend $300 to get this same phone back. I think that's worth the extra cash."
princessn1984

Dec 9, 2007, 2:10 PM
Don't take this wrong, but these people just don't care! They think it won't happen to their phone, or whatever.
d3ity

Dec 10, 2007, 1:25 PM
Also remember that that knockoff car charger, at least with verizon, equals an instant voided warranty.

We carry both aftermarket (non-vzw branded) chargers and OEM (Manufacturer branded) chargers. We don't carry the verizon chargers. However, the OEM charger is designed by the manufacturer for your phone.

And next time you get someone who comes in for a warranty issue, ask them what charger they are using. Create the need for the real stuff by sticking to the warranty policy. If you use a $3 car charger, your warranty is toast.
WhoDey

Dec 10, 2007, 1:50 PM
Good luck trying to enforce that through legal means.

The only way it would TRULY void the warranty, is if the battery or charging mechanism was the issue.

You cant void a warranty on a screen because of the way the phone was charged, for instance.
UOQuack

Dec 10, 2007, 10:33 AM
Another thing you can use to combat the cheap accessories, chargers and earbuds specifically, is that most phone manufacturers state in their manual that if you plug non-certified equipment into their phone it will void the warranty. "Sir/ma'am, your $5 charger might save you money today, but it will void the warranty on your phone, and may cause permanent damage to it, and I promise you the money it will cost you to replace a damaged phone is much greater than the money you would save by purchasing a cheap charger." Unfortunately, this line doesnt work at all for cases, but I use the "you get what you pay for" line pretty frequently too. Typically I get them on the charger line, then throw in a carrying case at half price.
princessn1984

Dec 10, 2007, 10:41 AM
Like I said, in this area, they don't care. They will just do an insurance claim on their phone and be on their way... but of course its MY fault that the phone is messed up. They would rather save a buck now than in the long run.
UOQuack

Dec 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah I understand, the short-sighted are a tough sell. But try it anyway, as you know, in sales it's all about rejection anyway, you're going to get turned down time after time, but even if you increase your sales by 1 sale a day, your numbers will go up and your bosses will notice. Not every pitch will work for every customer, but some will work with some.
princessn1984

Dec 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
My big one right now is asking them if they would like a case to keep their phone dry this winter, but I have gotten: "I don't have the money." "I don't want to give XYZ more money than I already do." or "I keep my phone in my pocket so I don't need it" (I then explain to them they do, but they don't listen). With Auto-pay I remind them that they could save $10 a month with it, so far, I have 1 today, but 2 others are thinking about it. *crosses fingers*
mogulchic21

Dec 9, 2007, 1:59 PM
When I am selling accessories I generally try to tailor the questions that I am asking to my customer's specific needs. Whenever I am selling a car charger I let them know that the one they buy here at my store won't void their manufactors warranty and we with hold the 1 year manufactors warranty here in the store
chainsaw

Dec 9, 2007, 3:37 PM
For auto bill pay, I just tell them they will never have to worry if their payments are going to be on time, and statistically, customers on auto bill pay are much happier with their service and don't cancel as often. Plus, you still get your bill in the mail or there is a paperless option so you can review your bill before the payments is processed. Its one less thing to worry about so you can focus on things that are more important. Like drinking.
princessn1984

Dec 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
🤣
AnWrOoTbEeR

Dec 10, 2007, 12:06 PM
maybe it will for you too. I just started not telling people the prices of the phones... don't show them any paperwork if you can keep it from them. Let's say one of your phones sells for $39. What I do, is say its $59 but includes your choice of a $20 case, car charger OR ear Peice. That way, it sounds like they're getting a deal, and you aren't really lying to them. That price, does include one of the above items. Or, if you have a bluetooth capable phone, tie in the price of a bluetooth.
princessn1984

Dec 10, 2007, 12:17 PM
Unfortuanatly I am only on the payment side (we have 3 sections, Sales, Service, and Payments). I don't sell phones, plus everyone thinks they have to go over there to purchase accessories so if they are JUST buying a charger, thats where they go, they don't come over here.
AnWrOoTbEeR

Dec 10, 2007, 12:50 PM
One of our girls used to look up the customer's account to see if they had a discounton any purchases, then if they did, she would use that discount to make it look like they just purchased a "free" accessory
princessn1984

Dec 10, 2007, 12:59 PM
This company doesn't have anything like that ☹️
chainsaw

Dec 10, 2007, 1:02 PM
We do that, except all our prices include $50 worth of accessories. Its just frustrating because if I'm busy and someone is looking around my store all our phones look way too expensive!
AnWrOoTbEeR

Dec 10, 2007, 1:09 PM
I'm out of ideas for you to try.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.