Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Black Friday??????

Dj Podmaster

Nov 21, 2007, 4:48 PM
OK, i keep hearing about Black Friday. But I am not sure exactly what it is. It isn't something we have here in Canada, though the extra sales sound pretty good. Is it a national government implemented thing or just a marketing thing?
yeehaw

Nov 21, 2007, 4:54 PM
black friday is the beginning of the traditional christmas shopping which is after thanksgiving, given that thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth thursday of november. also called good friday as a holiday. black friday is a marketing too meaning on friday the stores open before the sun.
Dj Podmaster

Nov 21, 2007, 4:59 PM
I like the idea, it sounds like a good preboxing day warm up. I cant see my store opening up before the sun. We have enough problems getting openers here for 10 am.
yeehaw

Nov 21, 2007, 5:08 PM
we open at the same time. just the big stores like best buy, circuit city, macys etc.
spidermon

Nov 21, 2007, 7:22 PM
hmph we have to open at 6 am like everyone else
cellDANone

Nov 21, 2007, 8:44 PM
us too.... argh!
Kagehiru

Nov 21, 2007, 7:53 PM
There is also a darker meaning to it when you're on the retail end of the counter. You get positively swarmed by customers, some of whom have been standing in line for half a day or more in order to get whatever insane deal is being offered. What's worse is that these customers who waited that long in line to get said insane deal still might not actually get the item because the store stocked a maximum of 5 of the items and they were 7th in line. This competition tends to bring out the worst in human nature.
WhoDey

Nov 23, 2007, 1:11 AM
Black=death
All retail employees want to kill themselves, or the people they talk to, on Black Friday, hence, the name
gozvzw

Nov 23, 2007, 12:22 PM
Actually Black Friday means that retailers hope to go into the "Black" that day. I have also thought this to be a day the devil created (I have worked in retail since I was 16, I'm now 26, only two years have I not worked Black Friday), it is the worst day ever!!
Moruitelda

Nov 23, 2007, 6:30 AM
i am sorry, but you are all wrong. black friday is NOT good friday (the friday before easter) and it is not named "black" friday because it is dark out or because the day is dreaded.

it is called black friday because, due to the high shopper volume, businesses typcally go from being in the red (losses for the year) to in the black (profits) on the day after thanksgiving.
gozvzw

Nov 23, 2007, 12:24 PM
But I thought thanksgiving was actually holy thursday... 🤣
WhoDey

Nov 23, 2007, 7:28 PM
Thats funny, I thought it was indian for "The day religion rapes and pillages for its own profit and gain."

HAARRRRRR!!
mogulchic21

Nov 23, 2007, 1:15 PM
Many stores in my area opened at 5am. My store didn't open until about 9am, however I have a part-time job at another big box store and I had to be there at 4:30am. Needless to say I'm beat and I am sick of people.
HotKarl666

Nov 23, 2007, 3:48 PM
No its just that most stupid Americans decide to go shopping the day after thanksgiving in hopes to get a good deal. Retail stores are smart eough to know no tot have sales this day though and capitalize off the existing traffic with out lowering prices.

All customers can eat a fat richard.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.