Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 51 replies

Wireless Customer Stereotypes

vzwcripplesphones

Oct 27, 2007, 4:08 PM
What are some of the stereotypes that you guys and gals have come across in this industry?

Things that happen at just about any wireless store Corporate or Indirect or even Call Center, that cause you to categorize a customer.

We all know of the ever tiresome "Never got water in it/Water Damage Customer"

Rattle off some others!
StoreLead

Oct 27, 2007, 4:11 PM
name a stereotype... it's walked through my doors.
vzwcripplesphones

Oct 27, 2007, 4:19 PM
Bluetooth & Upgrade Refuser:

I usually get about one a week, comes in with an older phone that has no bluetooth capability. Wants a BT headset, but once told his phone is incompatabile gets incensed. Look up info, he is eligible for upgrade but refuses to upgrade from his beaten up 3 yo LG vx 3300. When told that he can purchase an adapter for it to take BT, gets upset over the additional cost and gadgetry. Storms out.
hardcorehavok

Oct 27, 2007, 4:36 PM
Threatening To Switch Carriers

This is my number one most hated stereotype. I do not throw the word "hate" around lightly. I may dislike something, but there are very few things I hate. This is one of them. I HATE customers who threaten to go to the other company if they do not get their way. If I ever own my own store in the future, I will make it a rule/policy that if someone threatens this, the employee can tell them to go ahead and do it.

C - I want that phone for free. If you cannot give it to me, I will cancel and go to Verizon.

R - Go ahead. Would you like me to cancel your account for you? I can get our cancellation department on the line for you.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 27, 2007, 5:27 PM
I hate the nickel and dime customers. AKA "It's not the money, it's the principle!" ones.

I hate it when customers call in for charges LESS that $5. Seriously. I can find $5 in my couch cushions. There is no reason EVER to to call in over less than $5. And they always say the same damn thing. "It's not the money, it's the principle".

The worst ones are the "Why is this $0.15 charge on my bill?!?! I didn't do a Tex Mex! What's a Tex Mex anyways?"

Yeah, it's not about the money. That's why you wasted 30 minutes of my time whining about the charge, because you don't want to pay it. Because it's not about the money.
Lapdog

Oct 27, 2007, 5:34 PM
If, like you say, it's only $.15, then why not just issue the credit and go to the next cust?

or give the cust $.15 from your pocket?
OfAMightDivine

Oct 27, 2007, 5:46 PM
Because

1) All of our credits need to be valid. We get marked down if we give an unjustified credit, regardless of the amount. A valid charge is a valid charge. It sucks, I know, but that's how it works.

2) I would never give a customer $0.15 out of my own pocket. They didn't work for it, they're bothering me, and I will NOT reward stupidity/laziness. I don't care if I get called cheap. "It's the principle of the matter". Besides that, I work in a Call Center, so I can't hand them $0.15.

The point is, is that it irritates the sh** out of me that they even BOTHER with the $0.15 in the first place.
Lapdog

Oct 27, 2007, 5:49 PM
OfAMightDivine said:
The point is, is that it irritates the sh** out of me that they even BOTHER with the $0.15 in the first place.

if it's a valid complaint, then there shouldn't be an issue.

and again I say, your attitude is "it's ONLY $.15", then it's ONLY $15 from your pocket...why not pay for it?
PhoneyName

Oct 27, 2007, 5:51 PM
If it's a VALID complaint, you're right. But usually it's a "There's no way my little angel sent all those text messages!!" type of complaint. ๐Ÿ™„ I don't know about you, but I refuse to reward that type of stupidity.
HotKarl666

Oct 27, 2007, 6:19 PM
No but I bet you will allow people who are not listed as authorized users access the account - that is as long as they know the persons name and social... ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
PhoneyName

Oct 27, 2007, 6:42 PM
Totally, I'll even let them add lines and change the billing address... ๐Ÿ™„

Where did that come from anyway?
HotKarl666

Oct 27, 2007, 7:15 PM
I had to deal with this a$$ earlier where the call center people "allways let her access the account" and storemed out of the store threatening to ancel because I wouldnt sell her a phone on her husband's account which coincidentally didnt have her name on it.

The person who isnt an authorized user and is mad because you wont sell them a phone or let them make changes to an account.
- Sub archetype of above - the one that would rather (or at least threaten to) cancel service instead o just having the account holder call in and add their name to the account. Oddly enough they will still have to have their name added before they can do that.
Kris

Oct 27, 2007, 7:32 PM
Well I think that's the problem with our call center, as long as they verify the information, we have to let them have access, and if a store rep is demanding an adjustment, as NSS, we're forced to give it but document it in our Sales Tracker (which I doubt has anything done about it) and in the account, which does no good. I've began denying reps and customers adjustments for ridiculous bullcrap about "i swear to god i didn't use the internet!!!" or "my bill is outrageous, you guys tell me these are valid charges, and i know for sure that i haven't gone over my minutes! transfer me to cancellations! (when their account is still in contract, and they say they don't care when you inform them of the etf)"

My stereotypes are as follows (prob...
(continues)
HotKarl666

Oct 27, 2007, 7:47 PM
I just hate them all. Mainly the ones that come in the store after activating. A good customer activates then never comes in again, when they have a problem they call the call center. They pay their bills on time with a check or through their bank like a normal person.

WOrst of all is when people come in for us to fix their phone and all we can really do here at the store is call customer service for them. Customers are juvenile, lazy, irresponsible, selfish, loud, stupid, assinine idiots.
adidasguy

Dec 16, 2007, 3:05 PM
people calling to get adjustments for things their children did. text, internet, etc. "it's not my fault, my kid did it!"
moval

Dec 16, 2007, 10:57 PM
๐Ÿคค oh yess... there are plenty of people that fit into every complaint there... these people are ridiculous.... i honestly can't stand dealers who dont know their dealer codes... i mean come on.. not that i care really - i mean except sales tracker bc i have to have it - but if you dont want your commission.. thats cool... i dont get it,, but neither do you for being so dumb... People are just out right crazy sometimes...
Lapdog

Oct 27, 2007, 6:20 PM
okay, I'll agree with you there...
cingagent

Oct 31, 2007, 11:39 AM
What about people who get that text messaging spam? Its actually recommended to call in and request a credit for $.15 because I believe Cingular/Att and Verizon have both gone after a lot of these text spamming companies...
OfAMightDivine

Oct 27, 2007, 5:58 PM
Did you NOT read the second part of what I said?

2) I would never give a customer $0.15 out of my own pocket. They didn't work for it, they're bothering me, and I will NOT reward stupidity/laziness. I don't care if I get called cheap. "It's the principle of the matter". Besides that, I work in a Call Center, so I can't hand them $0.15.

Read carefully the part where I said I work in a Call Center. That makes it hard to give them $0.15 out of my pocket.

And since you're so willing to give out money apparently... can I have $15? I promise I'll keep it in a bank, and every time a customer wants a courtesy credit that I can't give, I'll mail them out a check with your money then.
Lapdog

Oct 27, 2007, 6:52 PM
Your attitude is "It's only $.15"...why gripe?

My attitude is that it's MY $.15, so if you're so cavalier that it's ONLY $.15, then you pay for it...My money is my money, whether $.15 or $150.00...

BTW, the $15 was a typo, I left out the decimal.
OfAMightDivine

Oct 27, 2007, 7:11 PM
I said I cannot give them a credit because if I do, I get marked down. I WILL NOT LOSE POINTS BECAUSE THEY WANT A CREDIT NO MATTER HOW SMALL.

I said I cannot give them a credit BECAUSE I WORK IN A CALL CENTER AND THEREFORE CANNOT GIVE THEM $0.15 OUT OF MY OWN POCKET AS I WOULD HAVE NO WAY TO DO SO.

My "point" about the whole thread is that they would waste their time and ours by even calling customer service over something retarded like $0.15. Or even worse, when they drive 20 miles to a store to dispute the charge and waste gas over it. It's a waste of time. Just like the people who call just to see their account balance, and to check their minutes. That's one of the reasons Sprint pulled the plug on alot of customers. It costs on ave...
(continues)
spazebar

Oct 29, 2007, 9:02 AM
you actually can justify one time courtesy credits on a case by case basis for things like account life, value, usage history, and such as long as you also educate and notate. Explain to the customer what the charges were for and how they can avoid them if they dont want to use the service or maximize if they do. No points lost on QD just make sure you notate your reasons
mottelerj

Oct 31, 2007, 9:30 AM
in kms look under adjustmenttypes. you can pretyt well justify any courtesy credits under that document if the customer deserves it and a sup denies it whip out that doc. make sure you have read it first lol
rainbowbrite

Nov 5, 2007, 3:17 PM
Haha you really can justify anything. Under that it claims we waive activation fees just if the customer claims they never knew about it or were apparently not supposed to be charged it in the first place.
arsimckhoi

Oct 31, 2007, 9:32 AM
1,000 out of 53,000,000 is not alot of customers
Leishbl

Dec 16, 2007, 3:09 PM
๐Ÿคฃ

Althouh I see that the reasoning behind your comment is simple: the customer only owes $.15 for a text message that they may or may not have done; however, complaining about it being on there bill. Rather than giving a credit and possibly having to do it again, why not just inform the customer that although you cannot issue a credit for him/her that you are more than happy to block all future text messaging suprises by blocking it all together. It is satisfactory for both the customer and the representative. If you cannot offer a solution the customer will not think you take the time to listen to them; however, if you issue the credit they will most likely come in for each and every little problem and *expect* a credit regardless o...
(continues)
managergurl

Oct 30, 2007, 11:20 AM
๐Ÿคญ ๐Ÿคญ ๐Ÿคญ ๐Ÿคญ ๐Ÿคญ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

I have one word for stereotypes and that is PREPAID!!!!!!!!! WTF is it with these people, they are the aboslute WORST with wanted free crap and the best phones for nothing and never know what there supposed to pay etc. They are ALL infamous for pulling into my store in a vehicle that I think may fall apart while they are wiating in line in the store, and they have 10 kids between the store and the car running around, trashing the place, leaving garbage trails all OVER the place, and they are all just RUDE.. Every one of them... I think I have ONE prepay customer that I actually look foward to seeing. She is super nice... But as far as the rest...
(continues)
USCELLGIRL

Oct 30, 2007, 1:41 PM
LOL! I love to hate those customers!

The best is when they are still in contract and threaten to Cxl.

Well we certainly dont want you to switch, however that is an option that you have. That will be $150.
ac4321

Oct 27, 2007, 5:17 PM
The realtor who doesn't understand why service isn't 100% all the time.

The trucker who demands immediate everything cause he's on the road.

The construction worker who works outside all day everyday and has a water damaged phone and flat denies it ever being wet.

The lady who looks like she has a pound of make-up on and half as much on/in her phone.

The technophobe who is so adamant about wanting a "phone only" and ends up buying a media phone or PDA.

The PDA user who has not once syncd his or her phone.

The person who has a hundred pictures and wants to save them but has never bothered uploading them and refuses to have the picture service plan.

The person who swears he has insurance, even though it has never been on t...
(continues)
nonmeatgazer

Oct 27, 2007, 5:42 PM
hey that last one works real good... ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
sprintg19

Oct 27, 2007, 5:50 PM
How about... Got a great plan with Carrier X, can you match it?
Had a guy today who claimed to have a $24.00 Verizon plan and wanted to know if ATT could match it. When I said plans start at $40, he got furious. started complaining about carriers not understanding the customers needs, etc. I was in no mood, so I started in with "They seem to be making money, so why would they change?" He says I only use my phone for emergencies, why aren't there plans for that. I said "Prepaid". His response was...and this is classic.....Why would I pay for minutes if I'm not gonna use them. I asked him what he paid monthly now if he didn't use his phone? He got mad and left.
chainsaw

Oct 27, 2007, 6:04 PM
you know what i mean?
3LeggedDinosaur

Oct 27, 2007, 8:42 PM
yes I do!
arsimckhoi

Oct 29, 2007, 8:18 AM
please elaborate
vzwcripplesphones

Oct 29, 2007, 2:23 PM
Here is one for you:

Mind you I work at a VZW indirect, and I continually get people coming in asking for the iPhone. DEEEERRRRRRPppppp ๐Ÿ™„
devilsmafia

Oct 27, 2007, 6:31 PM
How about the people that say, " Ok, now which phone comes with the plan?".

They all do douche bag. You get whatever phone you want.
HotKarl666

Oct 27, 2007, 6:46 PM
"I've been a customer for 6 years and I want an upgrade. Can I get the blackberry for free?"

The person whos been up on meth for 4 days and wants you to hurry up and fix their phone because they are loosing money off missed drug deals and tricks.

The person who isnt an authorized user and is mad because you wont sell them a phone or let them make changes to an account.
- Sub archetype of above - the one that would rather (or at least threaten to) cancel service instead o just having the account holder call in and add their name to the account. Oddly enough they will still have to have their name added before they can do that.

The pissed off customer who feels like they should talk smack to the new customer your coworker is activ...
(continues)
chainsaw

Oct 27, 2007, 6:53 PM
HotKarl666 said:
The pissed off customer who feels like they should talk smack to the new customer your coworker is activating.

That one really gets to me...
took

Oct 28, 2007, 1:55 PM
People who dont want texting or v-cast on their phone, and then come back with a $300 bill because they cant control their kids... on texting or mobile web.

Lady comes in with a car charger she bought at a corperate location (we being an indirect have seperate inventories).

C "It broke can you swap it out?"

R "Was it purchased at this location?"

C "It was purchased at a verizon"

R "WE DO have a life time gaurentee on our products, but only when they are purchased through our company. If that was purchased at a corperate you will have to take it to the mall (across the street)"

C "Well your sign says verizon you should take verizon products"

R "We are an authorized retailer it also says our company name on the do
(continues)
Trench.Coat.4.Hire

Oct 27, 2007, 7:30 PM
"Mhan I need my phone cut back on! I'm losin' money! I use my phone fo ma bidness!"
HotKarl666

Oct 27, 2007, 7:32 PM
Pre-paid?
Trench.Coat.4.Hire

Oct 27, 2007, 7:35 PM
nah, I had loads of those when I worked for At&t. I thought it was hilarious how they would try and portray themselves as business men while still sounding completely illiterate. ๐Ÿคฃ
3LeggedDinosaur

Oct 27, 2007, 8:46 PM
Yep, and da gotsta hab dat blackjack cus it bees tight. ๐Ÿคฃ They're the worst! And when they need more minutes they just by pass all the other customers and try to butt in.
att_jinx

Oct 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
if he's broke he's probably not SELLING crack. i've never in my life known a broke drug dealer ๐Ÿคจ the 2 don't even go together ๐Ÿคจ i refuse to support or watch this type of slander anymore. i ask the shoptalk forum regulars to realize just because your customers are rude,cant pronounce the word "business",and may smell of beer, alcohol, or even the "greenery". they are not CRACK DEALER'S๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿคฃ Sounds more like a crack user to me ๐Ÿคฃ
Nikoletta

Oct 28, 2007, 3:42 PM
Sorry sorry sorry...

Not Crack Dealers

Meth Dealers

Our bad.
That_Other_Guy

Oct 28, 2007, 2:11 PM
Strictly Service and Repair:

My phone won't turn on.
*hit power button for them and turns on*
or
*plug into charger for 2 min, then power it on*

I forgot my lock code.
Don't. Effing. Change. It.

People who super-glue sh*t together before bringing it in.

People bringing me phones from one of the other 2 celltelco's around here and thinking that because we can fix stuff, we should fix theres
or
people who think that I am their wireless carrier, when I'm not, and I don't care.
ac4321

Oct 28, 2007, 2:23 PM
That_Other_Guy said:

People who super-glue sh*t together before bringing it in.

Hahaha, yeah. I forgot that one- the girls who bedazzle right along the line the battery or battery door connects to the phone. Brilliant job there. Why don't you just go bedazzle around the opening of your gas tank.
๐Ÿ™„
Nikoletta

Oct 28, 2007, 4:01 PM
The "Important Business Person" - who cannot be bothered with any questions, who needs their phone now or they will be loosing MILLIONS of dollars but refuses to pay for overnight shipping or insurance. The ones who get mad at you for every single delay or question and act put out when you tell them their credit is actually in the toilet.

The "Secretary" - of said Important Business Person who calls to place the order and then snarls and yells when you can't just take their word that their boss has OKed the order but have the audacity to ask to actually speak with their boss and waste minutes of their time that will cost them MILLIONS Of dollars.

The "Cursing Ranting Maniac" - who cannot seem to grasp any simple concepts but gets angr...
(continues)
Sprintkitty

Oct 29, 2007, 9:15 AM
The 'helpful spouse' that wants to 'surprise' their significant other by upgrading their phone.

Problem is, the phone's in the significant other's name.

The general responses:

"But my name's on the account." Sorry sir/madam, I can't see it.

"The other store let me do it." Sorry sir/madam, but my store's pretty strict about it, and for good reason. I'd suggest going back there.

"I have all of his/her information." Sorry sir/madam, having the information does _not_ make you authorized to make business decisions in his/her name.

"Why won't you help me? I just want to surprise him/her." Sorry sir/madam, but this 'surprise', if you're not who you say you are, would cost me my job. Besides, it won't be much of a surprise when ...
(continues)
HotKarl666

Oct 30, 2007, 3:03 PM
the jerk that walks up to you and starts spitting out their phone number. you ask "what can we do for you" then they re start giving you their phone number.

"Pay ta beaaall"

"Pay on my bill"

walks up and says i wanna pay the bill xxx - only gives first name...
Imajika

Nov 5, 2007, 6:23 AM
The customer that won't let you go through your beginning lines (name, phone number, business name, etc.) and just starts screaming about their Treo being a piece of crap and yelling an insane sequence of numbers.

The customer that wants me to know how 'important' their company is and that *I* personally am costing them millions of dollars because they dropped their phone in a toilet and I can't fix it.

The customer that doesn't want to answer basic troubleshooting questions and starts screaming at me to "JUST FIX IT". Well, unless I know EXACTLY what the issue is and when it started happening, I can't 'just fix it'.

The customer that calls in at 3 in the morning because they thought they would be smart and avoid the normal 9-5 hold...
(continues)
vzace

Dec 16, 2007, 12:51 PM
how about the 70 year old people who a phone thats capable to do everything but dont know how to even use the basic functions of a cell phone and want u to explain everything to them but stop u every 5 seconds to repeat urself and go over it again!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.