Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

That's not what I meant.......

cilvzwagent

Oct 23, 2007, 9:30 AM
So, I am currently interviewing for a sales opening in my store. I started doing interviews yesterday. Have you ever had someone who just goes too far into detail with answering interview questions?

Me - "So, Tell me about yourself"

Applicant - "Well, I'm 26, a single mom of 2. Getting divorced, worked food service for the last 3 years, been at my most recent job for 3 weeks. I suffer from depression, My father is diabetic, and I have horrible credit. I'm behind 2 months on my car payment, my home is about to be foreclosed on, and all of my credit cards don't get paid."

M - "Okay ๐Ÿ˜ณ " (Proceeded on with other quesitons) "Why should we consider you for the position?"

A - "As i stated before. I'm broke. I need money."

M ...
(continues)
computerking

Oct 23, 2007, 9:31 AM
Do you need a hug?
cilvzwagent

Oct 23, 2007, 9:35 AM
Thanks..... I need a lot. My company kept putting it off to give me approval to hire in another sales rep. Now that I have the "go ahead" the sales rep I already had is leaving. Now I have to get someone in, trained, and ready to rock and roll through the Holidays. Looks like I have many 6 day work weeks ahead of me....

Goodbye Saturdays........ ๐Ÿ˜ข
d3ity

Oct 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
I too miss saturdays.

I also miss tuesday, thursday, and friday.
vzwcripplesphones

Oct 23, 2007, 3:48 PM
I only miss them when I am sober, or when there is a decent football game on. Either way, it occurs when I am sober.
cellsellphones

Oct 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
That's awesome. Keep us posted on how the rest go. ๐Ÿ˜
t-monator2

Oct 23, 2007, 10:55 AM
I've been noticing a lot of applicants coming to interviews inappropriately dressed. Jeans, sweatshirts, etc...
Sprintkitty

Oct 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've noticed that too.

I had one applicant tell me about his former job working for a mortgage company, "I quit because the rates were screwing over individuals. I don't have a problem with screwing over a _company_, that's different, but individuals, that's not right."

He said this...during his interview. To me, the potential manager of the store. I think he was attempting to demonstrate his honesty...
cilvzwagent

Oct 23, 2007, 3:25 PM
So the other 3 interviews went..okay.

One applicant had to reschedule for this afternoon because her mother injured her back yesterday. We spoke and decided she was to come in today at 1:45. She showed up here at 10:20am. ๐Ÿคจ I didnt have any other interviews till 11, so I went ahead and got her done. She did "okay".

The other girl I saw today was phenomenal. She used to work for a customer care outsourcing agency, so she's already got half of the training I would have to give her down pat. I'd just have to get her adjusted to the sales floor. Only downfall..the hours I really need her for...she's not available.

The last girl I saw was okay. She's a college student, and is available the times I need her, but only for now...
(continues)
cremz

Oct 23, 2007, 3:29 PM
Hire both to fill 2 needs. You get a good rep and one to work hours needed. The college girl may bug out on you when sports come around or finals. Atleast with both you really aren't paying more to split their hours...just an idea
cilvzwagent

Oct 23, 2007, 3:33 PM
Original plan was to have 2 part timers. Now my existing part timer is leaving. For some unknown cracked out reason, my GM is only letting me still hire in 1 at this time. I'm going to be the only FT here, and whoever I bring in will be my PT person. I need someone more in the afternoon till we close...we're normally busier that time of the day than we are between the hours of 9-12.
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 3:43 PM
Take in the so/so person. They're less likely to find a better paying job and leave you high and dry, so your training will be better used on her.
that_one_girl

Oct 23, 2007, 6:08 PM
Unless the excellent applicant's availability will change sometime in the near future making her available when you need her -- pass on both.

Never hire someone just to have a warm body in the store and don't hire people that will cause you more problems with their scheduling issues.

I'm running my store almost completely alone at the moment and I've got a lot more responsibilities than just my "Store Manager" title, but I'd rather be under-staffed than improperly staffed. Hire someone when you find the right person. A bad hire will just make more headaches and stress for you.
ac4321

Oct 23, 2007, 11:53 PM
The last person in our store who asked about a job to the guy next to me:

Customer- so, howdya gat a job here?

Rep- (looks down in silence for a few seconds)

Customer- please dun tell me a go online!

Rep- Yeah, it's on our website.

Customer- (walks away)

It's almost always the ones with a chronically late bill, who speak ghetto/redneck, dress shabby, etc.
arsimckhoi

Oct 24, 2007, 7:20 AM
hire the so/so person and have your best sales rep teach her pitch and product... you teach her the system... she won't be so/so after a while..

if the best rep complains pay for a few dinners on your money and give them a recommendation if they want to get promoted.
jestcuzzgrl

Oct 24, 2007, 8:23 AM
what are you looking for and what do you want to hear? I work for the insurance part of AT&T and Verizon.. I am going to apply at some store that are hiring.. I wanted to know what would help. ๐Ÿ™‚
thanks
cilvzwagent

Oct 24, 2007, 9:24 AM
I need to know that you WANT to work here. That this industry intrigues you, you think you would do well, and enjoy it. Not that you are in a financial rut and seriously need a job. I hate it when I ask people why should we consider you, and their response back is "I need a paycheck".. well that's obvious, we don't work for free here people. I want to know what good things you can bring. Are you able to work independently, confidentally, and productivelly. I need someone trustworthy, that I know I can leave my store in good hands with. Whoever I hire is going to be the 2nd of 2 employees, with me being #1. This isn't a high traffic store, so 2 people is really mostly all that we need, however I wish on more than one occassion my GM w...
(continues)
arsimckhoi

Oct 24, 2007, 9:36 AM
where are you located? I want to go apply we'd rock out
cilvzwagent

Oct 24, 2007, 9:45 AM
I'm in illinois
arsimckhoi

Oct 24, 2007, 10:37 AM
damn
nuckingfuts

Oct 24, 2007, 9:38 AM
Go for AT&T COR sales, the money is NICE!!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.