Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 45 replies

which cellphone store pays more?

donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 3:55 PM
the reason i'm asking is because on monday i'm sending my resume into just about every cellphone retail store i can think of. any thoughtS?
sckoisks17

Oct 5, 2007, 3:59 PM
COR stores usually pay more than indirect, but their sales quotas are tough and they come down hard on you if you don't meet them. Pay at an indirect can be decent after commission. I work for a RadioShack SCK kiosk, and I'm paid $7.50/hr plus commission. On an average week, I'm at around $9.50/hr. But then, I'm in one of SCK's smallest markets. Other markets pay up to $9/hr plus commission.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:01 PM
hmmm... there is a radio shack near my house that is hiring... but a lot off ppl tell me that at&t pays more
nuckingfuts

Oct 5, 2007, 4:18 PM
I made way over 50,000 last year working for AT&T......
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:20 PM
😳 😳 😳 are you serious...
nuckingfuts

Oct 5, 2007, 4:26 PM
very serious, and for that much $$, I will put up with a lot of BS.....
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:28 PM
i know right!!
wirelessad

Oct 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
it depends who you work for and not just the provider...you can work for an indirect dealer who is considered a large dealer and sometimes make more than you can at a corp store...i have been in the cell phone industry for 6 years...in that time i have wworked for 1 corp store and said i would never do it again...it seems like it is harder to get your money out of corp stores than it is out of dealers...i like this atmosphere much better because it is more laid back and i feel like you can have a better relationship with your customers...just my opinion
Lane

Oct 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
well i work for Revol/csm wireless and the lowest positoin start at 9 an hour plus commision. thats why im still here.
d3ity

Oct 5, 2007, 7:54 PM
If I keep going at the rate I am, I'm looking at about 48k from this place... not including bonuses.
ihateeverything

Oct 5, 2007, 5:37 PM
What position?
ihateeverything

Oct 5, 2007, 5:54 PM
Seriously I'm dying to know what position you work that makes 50k a year since thats unheard of for anything below a manager at a direct location.
nuckingfuts

Oct 5, 2007, 6:15 PM
Sales, and that is more than some managers make, but just b/c I did does not mean everyone does, or can
ihateeverything

Oct 5, 2007, 6:27 PM
at at&t direct store, youre saying?
nuckingfuts

Oct 5, 2007, 6:30 PM
yes
ihateeverything

Oct 5, 2007, 6:37 PM
Ok so I'm going to go across the street and find out how much they can possibly make and if your story is legit will switch over cause that is like sc kiosks X 4. Lets see if your story is backed up. Thanks.
Hombre07

Oct 8, 2007, 10:39 AM
It's not necessarily true that anyone can 'back up' his story. You could essentially make a million a year if you had no caps and unheard of sales. All depends on how you are as a salesman. I pulled around 42k last year being just a regular sales rep with alot of knowledge in an agent store.
d3ity

Oct 5, 2007, 7:54 PM
Don't go to ratshack. Especially corporate ratshack. Had the most uninteresting year of my life there making 5.25 + comission... which sucked.

Right now I work for a vzw indirect and make 8+commission. It's lovley.
just_asking

Oct 7, 2007, 9:15 AM
Radio Shack back in Feb. cut pay more or less 50%. They now pay hourly plus spiffs. NO MORE commission. Example 2fer last year

5% commision on 2 phones 5% of 700 = $35.00
(avg $350 per phone)

spiff on selling 2 plans anywhere from $30.00 to $60.00. (depends on plan sold)

add on spiffs up to $20.00 (data, text, etc)

accessories commission and spiff.
$2.00 1 accessories spiff
$5.00 2 accessories spiff
$10.00 3 accessories spiff
5% commision on $75.00 = 3.25

service plan

10% spiff of cost plus commision

$59 plan = 6.00 spiff plus $3.00

Add it up you can make on 1 2fer sale approximately $134.00

Today same sale

phone spiff max $50.00

2.5% commision on accessories if numbers are made $65 = $1.50

ad...
(continues)
ajstrong

Oct 7, 2007, 11:25 AM
and I wondered why I left RS.....

sucks to be you, sorry about that. Where I moved to, the largest store in the DISTRICT was a million dollar store. the rest of us weren't hardly 500k stores, and there were a few that got closed b/c they were on a 18 year SLUMP; they hadn't hit profit margins for 18 years. yea, that's partially management, partially the crappy environment of RS, and that the management changed so fast no one knew what to expect.
just_asking

Oct 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
I have been with RS since 1984, took a leave of absence for 1 1/2 years. I have been PT since 1994. RS started to go down hill about 6 - 7 years ago, when they decided Part timers didn't deserve benefits. First they lost all there good trained PT sales people, who were with RS for years because they offered good benefits. They made money, RS made money but the investors got gready and now they are paying for it. Then this year after selling off everything that made rs corp money, they cut the last thing left, (payroll). Now most of the trained ft are leaving. Last year you could survive on a RS salary, but now you can't. Now they are hiring clerks and expecting them to sell like seasoned sales people. 6.50 hr plus spiffs. (can we sa...
(continues)
ajstrong

Oct 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
wow. I agree with the no-training newbies. most of the employees that I saw come in were fresh out of high school, or hadn't worked a day in their 30 yr life. RS has become just another fast-food place for employees to put in time doing nothing, and in the stores I helped run, that's exactly what happened. they are now begging to get MIT's, or whatever they called ASM's now, and b/c of their shortage, they placed a few guys/gals that were well short of the skill/maturity level required into management. the first is now working where I am instead of RS, and the second took his place as management. o well, they dug their grave.
just_asking

Oct 8, 2007, 1:27 PM
I call it training to fail!
It's to the point that if it's breathing, make them a manager. In our city of 5 stores, there is only 4 salespeople with over 1 year experience (2 managers and 2 pt). last year we had 10-15 sales people with over 2 years. That includes pt and ft. The three other stores are being run by kids with less than 1 year in the retail business. I guess you get what you pay for in most cases. I have been associated with RS over 20 years (PT and FT), I have never seen it this bad. But I stick around just to help my manager. I am now PT and do not need the job, but I enjoy sales. But it is hard averaging 7-8 per hour when your used to 13-16 hour. It has gotten to the point all I do is clerk. They pay me to clerk...
(continues)
ajstrong

Oct 8, 2007, 1:29 PM
huh. RIP RS.
just_asking

Oct 8, 2007, 1:32 PM
Its sad, but I made more per hour 20 years ago when I started full time. Back then it was min wage or 6% commission. I figured I made about 9 dollars hour and we didn't have the spiffs we have today.
ihateeverything

Oct 5, 2007, 5:35 PM
My friend, with your job, was making around 1000 every two weeks.
yeahright

Oct 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
that sux, i would check around I make $15-30 an hour after commision with verizon indirect
Ghosthendrikson

Oct 5, 2007, 4:07 PM
The bottom line here is you need to ask yourself if you really want to get into Wireless sales. I understand that the money is a huge draw, hell it motivated me to get into the industry.

But, while the money is good. There is a mountain of bullshit that you will have to deal with on a daily basis. The hours can ber very long, both in time and patience.

You really need to have a joy for selling. If you don't your commission will show it. The more you can believe/bullshit/flirt/coerce your customers, the better off your going to be.

My intentions aren't to scare you off, I just think you should know what your up against. If nothing else, you will have some good drinking stories to tell. Speaking of drinking, if you don't already, I...
(continues)
kapwww

Oct 5, 2007, 4:15 PM
In fairness, most sales positions are like that, not just wireless retail. I've sold clothing, furniture, and music stuff. Every job kept me there for long hours and in most cases I didn't get paid extra for those hours. The Wireless industry has been, by far, the most payoff for the investment of time and energy. Once you learn the basics, you just have to keep up with the changes.
Ghosthendrikson

Oct 5, 2007, 5:03 PM
Of course you are 100% right. I guess I was speaking from more of a first person perspective. My roommate is a Assistant Manager for Zumiez her in the mall. She bitches constantly about the same stuff I do.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 5:05 PM
whichzumiez does she work at (i'm asking because i curious about prices for skateboard parts)
Ghosthendrikson

Oct 5, 2007, 5:38 PM
Were both working out of Bozeman, Montana.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:17 PM
i just feel like it's easier to sell a product to someone face to face rather than over the phone. plus it's easier for me to assist people in person with any issues that they have
devilsmafia

Oct 5, 2007, 4:39 PM
It's a matter of how hard are you willing to work to go above and beyond your sales quota. Remember you don't make money from your base or hourly wage. You make the real money from your commissions. The harder you work, the more commissions you'll make. And that goes for any store you decide to work at.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:41 PM
it beats trying to sell something over the phone... thats for sure 😁
devilsmafia

Oct 5, 2007, 4:44 PM
Yes it does. Been there done that.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:46 PM
is it easier to sell something in person rather than over the phone?
devilsmafia

Oct 5, 2007, 4:55 PM
So much easier. You can connect with your client so much better in person. Plus depending what your selling (verizon in my case) it's so much easier to show and tell the customer about the product you are selling. Customers like being sold something in person better than over the phone.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 4:55 PM
so it is easier... wow 😲
devilsmafia

Oct 5, 2007, 5:00 PM
Quit your job and become a retail salesman. See for yourself.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 5:01 PM
as soon as i get a job offer then you already know i'm out that b**ch
devilsmafia

Oct 5, 2007, 5:07 PM
Hehe, good for you.
donkey_kong86

Oct 5, 2007, 5:09 PM
😁 😁 😁
d3ity

Oct 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with most of that...

Another side of it is.. people over the phone can be an asshole in the comfort of thier own home.

If you're in my store, You're in public. It's very easy for me to turn the table on you and make you look like the ass that you are. Assholes realize this and are usually much more tame in the store.

You do get people who sneak in the store, act like a deer hit by high beams when you greet them, and then quickly bolt out the door. But those are few and far between.
Nautic812

Oct 6, 2007, 11:23 AM
I made 52 working for Alltel
Below.Me

Oct 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
I have made over 40k with my current company part time. good balance between base pay and commission it took me nearly 2 years to get into my store because no one ever left. full time reps here make 80K+ in a year

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.