Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Why do you do it?

kapwww

Sep 28, 2007, 12:47 PM
Why do some sales folks feel the need to bash other sales folks to try to get business? What's worse is when it happens within your own store. I've got a rep in one of my other locations who tells all of the customers to come see her and not to go to any other locations because she'll "give them a deal and everyone else will rip you off".

Reps at the corporate store 45 mins away also play the same game. They tell the customer that we don't know what we're doing and that we're going to rip them off, even though we fix more of their mistakes than anything else and match all of their pricing.

I'm not starting a war between direct and indirect. That's not what this is about. This is a complaint about how reps think the only way to...
(continues)
kapwww

Sep 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
Meant to hit spell check but hit post by mistake. Sorry for any mis-spellings. Also, I meant to ask...how many of you have to deal with this crap and how many of you are the ones to DO this crap?
ajstrong

Sep 28, 2007, 1:00 PM
we/I deal with this crap consistently. it's a way of life, and for alot of employees, it's just a temp job anyway, so why not lie their a$$ off for a few more $$? the "best" rep in our company by numbers has can't even spell "ethical" and the rest of us are left to clean the mess. our company heads are the same way, sadly.
angievzw

Sep 30, 2007, 2:12 PM
I have worked indirect for over two years and no matter what location or what city I am in I deal with this all the time! I hate it. Right now I have Sprint two kisoks down and do the same crap! I hate it... get a new selling point rather than...well they will do worse than we will! That does not tell the customer that you are good. It just tells them that you are so unsure of your abilities that you need to bring other people down to make yourself look better!
Sprintkitty

Sep 30, 2007, 3:56 PM
Exactly!! It shows no class and no skill.

Sorry they're doin that to ya. :/
d3ity

Oct 2, 2007, 1:38 PM
I deal with this bullshit every day. There is a corporate store down the street that keeps telling people that we sell refurbished equipment.

Then again, I keep having customers come in here asking how they can file a complaint about that store. So... Works for me.

We've sent a few things to our account manager about it. I'm sure the store manager there deleted the emails he got from the higher ups and ignored them.
OfAMightDivine

Sep 28, 2007, 12:56 PM
A lot of agents will do anything for a sale. Sadly, these tactics work.
krickt

Sep 28, 2007, 1:00 PM
The closest I get to doing this is; I tell them, go ahead, shop around. You won't find a better deal or better service.

It hacks me off when the corp store or another agency says I'll screw them over, or that I don't know what I'm doing. Those same people will also tell them, that they don't have time to do Change of Authority paper work, or go over a bill, or help program voicemail or something, and to come see me.
Sprintkitty

Sep 29, 2007, 6:24 PM
I've never understood it myself. Drives me nuts, personally.

I won't even bash the competition to a customer, because I'd rather be able to sell my stuff on its own merit rather than just trying to make everyone else look bad.

We have two Sprint/Nextel stores in this mall. I'm in a kiosk, they've got an in-line store. They're nice guys over there. We get along fine. πŸ™‚

Now, however, a rep from one of the direct stores was in the mall yesterday bashing us because he used to work here and he didn't like the former manager (who quit this week, by the way. Instant promotion for me.). That stuff just isn't cool at all.
klazziic

Sep 30, 2007, 2:44 PM
yea i think is very funny ,..... i work for an authorize company, and is funny when people come here and the first question they ask " is this a corp. store" .... lol.. and i have it hard cause i have corp. verizon and sprint on my block .... but i still do good = )
ajstrong

Sep 30, 2007, 2:48 PM
that is annoying, but I've found that I pay attention more to signs now that I recognize the diff between competitive sides of a company. I also am the bane of my personal provider's existence 😈 whenever I need something. I'll call every store in town to get information, and I usually get at least 2, sometimes more different "truths." Thankfully, I can cross-check here.
BigShowJB

Oct 1, 2007, 10:06 AM
So do you worlk near of for The Mobile Pollution?
kapwww

Oct 1, 2007, 5:03 PM
Nope. Thank goodness. The corporate reps around here tell them that we don't know what we're doing at indirect, which is BS because I can tell you more about the plans, systems, phones, etc, then most of the reps I've talked to at that place. Oh...and the rep from my own company that tells customers that the rest of us will screw them just got fired. We'll all me much happier.
Nautic812

Oct 3, 2007, 6:27 PM
We dont bash the 3rd party dealers. To tell you the truth most of them do it to themselves. They Hire kids in at min wage, barley train then, and send them off into the field. People that are not trained properly are bound to screw up things. That goes with any business. One of my friends just started working for a dealer. The girl that was supposed to train her decided to quit, that happens alot thereπŸ˜›, therefore she got about 3 hours of training the night before. With a high turnover rate at dealers there is never going to be properly trained people working there and there will always be issues. My note to the owners of all those dealers that mess up all the time: PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES AND KEEP THEM FROM WANTING TO LEAVE! My note to the peop...
(continues)
verizon-manager

Oct 5, 2007, 1:26 PM
Let me say, first of all, that bashing any 'competitor', whether it is another carrier, a direct or indirect, or the sales rep next to you, is BAD BUSINESS. A true sales professional does not have to resort to these tactics. Unfortunately, there are far too many wannabe salesmen in our industry.

After eight years in the business and working indirect and direct for multiple carriers, here's my take.

first of all, indirects are an asset to the carriers. They bring in alot of customers and are an important part of our business.

However.......

At many indirects, the employees and managers have little or no contact with the carrier itself. The best trainings and the most complete information come directly from the carrier. This c...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.