Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 51 replies

OMG an 18 dollar upgrade charge im canceling my account!!!!

ATTMark

Aug 25, 2007, 6:32 PM
People are so ****ing stupid it amazes me how far the human race has achieved on the level of stupidity we posess....

customer has a family plan with 3 lines. wants to upgrade 1 line. standard upgrade by the book right???? well in the system it tells us whether or not the customers upgrade charge will be waived or not. this customers it wasnt.

m = me
c = customer

m - ok mam the upgrade will be a standard 2 year contract and an 18 dollar upgrade fee will be applied to the next bill.

c - waive it....

m - i dont have control over the fee's applied to the bill the system tells me whether or not its waived.(which is true i cant waive an upgrade fee in the system)

c - i have been a customer for 3 years and you are charging me a...
(continues)
mooiscoow

Aug 25, 2007, 6:56 PM
I think it is soo funny where the next company do the same thing and they will pay twice as much to activate it.
GauchoGuy17

Aug 25, 2007, 7:20 PM
My company tends to pay the activation fees for you if you're porting over from another carrier. Hardly any of our customers actually use their $25 credits they can get for referring other customers, so we always have a bunch of extra $25 credits available to us. We can use those to sweeten the deal for customers who are thinking of porting their numbers over to our service.
d3ity

Aug 28, 2007, 8:41 AM
We'll just charge her activation fees... 35 for the primary and 25 for each secondary.

Shame on the CS rep who waives them for her.
3LeggedDinosaur

Aug 25, 2007, 7:50 PM
I've found that if you just take $18 off the phone price it usually shuts them up. And then you get the upgrade. But yeah that is a li.... a lot retarded on the customers part.
Nikoletta

Aug 26, 2007, 1:10 PM
You can't take $18 of free though, you'd have to pay her to upgrade at your store...

and it's $18! She probably spends more than that on Coffee every week.
DarkStar

Aug 26, 2007, 6:16 PM
I don't think you guys understand. This $18 upgrade fee is a bogus charge. Its just a way for the companies to make more money. Yes $18 is a little bit of money, but if your tv company came up to you and said to continue to have service you have to pay $18 a yr but for no reason. You would complain too. Its about principle. I would rather go to another company and spend more money too.
Nikoletta

Aug 26, 2007, 6:38 PM
They're not saying you have to pay the $18 to continue having service, only if you want a new phone. Considering how much those phones are actually WORTH (and having had service and paying for however long does NOT entitle you to free hardware) you're still getting a hell of a discount.
3LeggedDinosaur

Aug 26, 2007, 7:00 PM
Well said. Plus I don't have to have a contract with my other services.
Nikoletta

Aug 26, 2007, 7:16 PM
It's just another symptom of people being spoilt little brats, that she expected a new phone completely for free. Customers expect everything on a silver platter... all the time, if it were once in a while and you wanted to do a courtesy that's one thing but I spend all day listening to people demand free stuff for their 'inconvience'... because the phone is defective, because they didn't like it, because they had to hold five or seconds. Defective phones happen, we'll replace it, it takes a few days... if you wanted instant gratification you shouldn't have cheaped out on you local stores and ordered online in the first place, it's the price you pay for a $200 piece of hardware at no cost... a two day wait. Hold times happen, if we had fe...
(continues)
shellis129

Aug 26, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hey... why does T-Mobile always charge ME for shipping when I need a replacement? 10 bucks for the 7 day shipping and 15 for the 3 day!
Nikoletta

Aug 28, 2007, 4:18 PM
Customer care vs New Activations... our system is free for the 2- 4 day and 12 for overnight.

Upgrades are through care.
s_scott15

Aug 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
here here!
DarkStar

Aug 27, 2007, 4:39 PM
You have some good points. But The price of the phone is built into the contract price. In other countries you pay less for service and have no contract but you buy a phone for full retail price. As I have said that this $18 fee is a bogus charge. The customer is resiging a new two year agreement which is 959 dollars in a 24 month period on the lowest plan. And these phones are not made to last usually more than two years anyhow.

I completely agree that customer shouldn't get free accessories, but the reason they think they can get them is because there are a lot of indirect agents who do give away free accessories. I work at Radioshack and the way we make money is by selling accessories.

Anytime I can get that $18 fee waived I will d...
(continues)
BigShowJB

Aug 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
it was just this past spring when Sprint changed their upgrade fee from $36 to $18 to match everyone elses... I can usually call in to get an upgrade fee wavied, anyway....
DarkStar

Aug 28, 2007, 2:09 PM
No Sprint used to not have an upgrade fee at all.
The Highlander

Aug 28, 2007, 2:51 PM
I'm so glad we charge $18 if a customer wants to do an upgrade in our retail stores. If the customer was smart, they'd either go home and order their phone online or call telesales in which either case the $18 upgrade fee is not only waived, but the shipping and handling charges too!
BigShowJB

Aug 28, 2007, 6:01 PM
i'm in a sprint kiosk and I agree --- thank god sprint has a upgrade fee.... because When I get that credited back, I look golden and they send more customers in to me for new accounts and accessories and everything else.
The Highlander

Aug 29, 2007, 7:02 AM
Oh Horse Crap! Customers should not be given a credit for the $18 HUP when they purchase their wireless device from a retail location. Do you work for Enhanced Wireless, the wireless company founded by former Sprint Nextel employees who were terminated in the first round of 5k cuts?
BigShowJB

Aug 31, 2007, 12:40 PM
no, but my customers do come back and spend more money for add-a-line and accessories with me/
Nikoletta

Aug 28, 2007, 5:35 PM
Well I work for the BigPink and I try not to say the nasty things I think about your Provider so I'd appreciate it if you'd not refer to my company as Trash... and we do not have an upgrade fee, not that I am aware of and I've upgraded phones on my lines (not a dealer plan either, as a plain old customer) with no upgrade fee.
DarkStar

Aug 28, 2007, 9:23 PM
I am completely ok if you would like to talk trash about Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T.
ihateeverything

Aug 30, 2007, 4:54 PM
They charge you an upgrade fee because they know that the plan you signed up for two+ years ago has changed and they want to get a little extra out of you for keeping it. Granted at&t is kind of cheap about that they know you will pay 18$ to save monthly which over the course of one or more years will well outweigh a measly 18$. Also, most phones will cost more for upgrades but thats done by all carriers. 😎
jestcuzzgrl

Aug 27, 2007, 11:26 AM
and they shake their head all the time.

I wonder if I will be like that.. Thats all I do with this job. Because of stupid people
ihateeverything

Aug 30, 2007, 4:55 PM
They'll want a cell phone when theyre writhing in agony in need of medical attention in the Denny's bathroom. 😁
frankiewawa

Aug 28, 2007, 8:39 AM
And that is why I work for AT&T and still own a verizon phone. No upgrade fees! lol 😁
OfAMightDivine

Aug 28, 2007, 9:07 AM
Verizon has a $20 Annual Upgrade fee 🙂 🙂
cilvzwagent

Aug 28, 2007, 9:24 AM
Um..........then how come when I annual upgraded my husband's phone, and all the other's I've done in store, those charges never appeared on my or any of my customer's bills?

Is that charge limited to direct locations or direct fulfill? Because it's never come across on the indirect side. Atleast not in the market I'm in.
OfAMightDivine

Aug 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
It's a Direct thing. Indirects have their own upgrade policies, for the most part.
cilvzwagent

Aug 29, 2007, 9:25 AM
Ok, It must be like the direct "mandatory" $15 phonebook transfer fee, even if it is due to a warranty defect and the phone wasn't backup assistant capable. Or like the $10 ESN fee to put a different phone on the account because they need one to use while their said defective phone is being repaired/replaced and there is a wait period.

We don't do that here, THANK GOD! I understand why there are these fee's, but man. Will we ever get back to Customer Service, and not have to charge for everything we do? I mean, seriously. It's like those electronics that you buy, but if you need assistance call this number.. and it'll charge you $.69 per minute. It's crazy!
frankiewawa

Aug 29, 2007, 6:14 PM
Yeah I used to work for an indirect vzw agent awhile back. And we never charged, nor did the contract that printed up, an upgrade fee.
d3ity

Aug 28, 2007, 3:39 PM
Damnit OfAMightDivine... Why....

You just broke my bullshit detector. It pegged so far off the meter it exploded... Do you have any idea how much these detectors cost!

Sorry, we don't charge an upgrade fee. At all. Ever.
OfAMightDivine

Aug 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
I can't speak for your section of VZW. But the Midwest DOES charge a $20 Annual Upgrade Fee. Must have been a cheap detector.
johnnyslick

Aug 28, 2007, 10:51 PM
There's an annual upgrade fee at VZW if you qualify for it but pay less than $80 a month for your price plan. I should point out that this has ZERO effect on actual, 2-year upgrades (or 1-year upgrades after fulfilling the prior contract) and ONLY applies to exception situations. Do Sprint, AT&T et al allow customers to buy phones at the 2-year price when they're 1 year into a 2 year contract at all?
timslo

Aug 29, 2007, 1:28 PM
Yes, AT&T does if a customer pays more than $69.99 a month for their price plan. These customers usually have the upgrade fee waived, too.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong b/c $69.99 sounds wrong. I think it might be $79.99.)
ihateeverything

Aug 30, 2007, 4:57 PM
Verizon wanted to charge me an upgrade fee, but unlike at&t reps have the power to wave it. So they did. I was very happy. 🙂
cilvzwagent

Aug 28, 2007, 9:23 AM
I have to say that despite the fact that customers are stupid in a sense that not paying the $18 upgrade fee, and in-turn cancelling and paying an early termination fee, I think the fault here lies within the service provider. When I worked for a Cingular agent location, if we did anything to try to "save" the customer in these situations we didn't get paid squat. We had to forfeit all of our commissions on that sale in order to retain the customer. Even if we took so much as $5 off of a car charger for them, our $30 commission was out the door. It was a crock!

The things like that is what keeps Verizon and their stores (both indirect and direct) sitting on top with the lowest churn rates. If a measly "$18 fee" is what will make or b...
(continues)
sangyup81

Aug 28, 2007, 11:54 AM
You worked for an agent. Why would the agent owner care about saving Cingular customers? They don't make the money off their bills every month unless it's someone they did the new activation for a long time ago.
cilvzwagent

Aug 29, 2007, 9:21 AM
None of it really makes sense to me.

To me, they ought to be happy that we secured that customers business. If I am able to get a fee waived, or whatever it takes to secure the customer, I always make them aware that this was a one time thing. There was nothing I could do to guarantee any further credits for purchases made on any other lines. Yeah, we may have had to knock a little off here and there, but in the long run, that customer will remember that we did what we could.

If we didn't try to do anything to save the sale or the customer, there wouldn't be any customers left, atleast not in the store. They would all resort to shopping for everything online or over the phone. The word gets around that the store doesn't care, an...
(continues)
chainsaw

Aug 28, 2007, 12:01 PM
I agree. Waived activation fees/upgrade fees will be the next competitive edge just like unlimited text messaging, and as usual, at&t will be the last to catch on.
johnnyslick

Aug 28, 2007, 10:58 PM
...or not charging you in the first place for them. I don't think they're a very good incentive for new business, but boy do they reduce churn! If there is an upgrade fee in place, even if you as a salesperson eliminate it, your company still leaves a bit of FUD in the customer's mind, and not in your favor. Sure, it was waived this time... but what about 2 years from now? What about your 2nd line on the account? Your grandmother's line who hasn't upgraded in 5 years because she doesn't want to get a new phone but is finally seeing her old Nokia give out?

The ones I really don't get are companies like Sprint who occasionally have their existing customers actually pay more for a new phone than a new customer. Why would you do that? Do you,...
(continues)
VALGAL

Aug 29, 2007, 8:42 AM
And why do the "big box" guys get to offer instant rebates and not the indirect channel. The big box experience is not one you want to promote to long term customers. The minute they have problems do they go to big box? No they come to you. I think it should be the same across the board same $'s for new or existing customers. And the same instant rebates for all or none. Sorry had to rant!
johnnyslick

Aug 29, 2007, 8:57 AM
Your store can offer those rebates instantly if it wants to, I'm sure. Granted, they'd be losing $50 per sale, so they probably don't want to.
frankiewawa

Aug 29, 2007, 6:19 PM
And that is another reason I love vzw. 100$ off a new phone every two years is a hell of an incentive for me to stay with them. Nevermind the fact that I love their phones and they get the best reception in the areas I talk in.
t-monator2

Aug 30, 2007, 5:05 PM
yeah. it's amazing how corporate retail stores expect reps to provide great customer service, but dont let you give away a $3 cost vpc to make a customer happy.
sangyup81

Aug 28, 2007, 11:59 AM
Sometimes you can be too honest and telling the customer your personal feelings about the upgrade fee probably made them madder. Just say that this is the way it is and that they can try to get them credited later by calling Customer Service and that this is the only way to get what they want done because the upgrade fee is not charged in the store. Just be friendly about it and help them think you're trying your best to help them and they'll go along and boom you have your upgrades and all applicable commissions.
vzwmac

Aug 30, 2007, 1:33 AM
Let me ask an ignorant question, but what is the $18 for??? What is the purpose of it but just to make money??
OfAMightDivine

Aug 30, 2007, 9:20 AM
What's the basic principle behind a business? To make money.
Lapdog

Aug 30, 2007, 9:33 AM
volunteer where you work?
ATTMark

Aug 30, 2007, 6:57 PM
AT&T, like the others, is a service provider . they provide a service and charge a fee for it. im not a technician or anything for AT&T...but i dont think upgrading a customers account takes 18 dollars worth of effort. i dont think it takes any more effort than a computer resetting some dates. but i dont get them waived for everyone because then they get the mindset that its free everytime....the system tells u if the fee is waived.
chainsaw

Aug 30, 2007, 7:03 PM
Some people would say it is to process the upgrade, paperwork etc... but to be honest, it is just a revenue generator just like and activation fee or any other fee in life.
emce

Aug 31, 2007, 7:55 PM
Truth.

I had a customer not upgrade his phone b/c our MP3 players access the web momentarily to gather data on the services & the music listend to to make sure it's not pirated. I told him this, and that it would average something like 15 cents a month and he cussed me out.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.