Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 13 replies

have you ever recomended a competitor?

chainsaw

Aug 25, 2007, 11:38 AM
I know we could probably get in trouble for this, but have you ever had a customer come in that is out of contract asking about when you will get coverage in a certain area, and knowing that it probably won't happen for a long time, recomended a competitor that you know offers the coverage they need?(was that a run on setence or what!) I just told a customer that had 4 lines to go with someone else 👀
mooiscoow

Aug 25, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yes. I don't think we shoudl get in trouble for it. You are risking sending our percious phones out into the big bad world. If you could lose money, don't do it.
coziamnumber1

Aug 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have done it. But it was for the better need of the customer (needed a phone for overseas and i work for a cdma carrier)
3LeggedDinosaur

Aug 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
It's okay as long as it's, "for the greater good, the greater good, the greater good."-hot fuzz
TmoBrett

Aug 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
I've never straight up recommended a competitor but I have made customers aware of what networks are in areas we don't cover, usually if they have moved to a roaming area. I did also offer to call another company for a customer once. I was taking a Sup call and the guy was such a jerk, he was threatening to cancel his "Twunny Fi Biness Limes!" which I knew was crap since both he and his wife came back Smart Access at the time meaning they were about a step away from a deposit. So he said he'd cancel his 25 lines and I said "well if you want to spend $5,000 in cancellation fees to prove a point then go ahead." so he replied with "This is terrible customer service, you're not very good at your job! I'm calling Cingular!" so I replied with "Wel...
(continues)
chainsaw

Aug 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
man, i would have a hard time working in call center because "big brother" is always listening in. IN the store its just me! I can say whatever I want but I am always civil.
TmoBrett

Aug 25, 2007, 1:05 PM
Well I do quality assurance too, so I am big brother to an extent listening in on people, however this provides a few advantages for me like the simple knowledge that a 45 minute call will never be QA'd unless suggested by someone who heard it live because it's just way too time consuming...
spidermon

Aug 25, 2007, 3:38 PM
ive recommended verizon for their wireless card, b/c ours at tmobile sucks a$$
frankiewawa

Aug 25, 2007, 4:42 PM
Thats like burning money. are you mad man?! 😳
Nautic812

Aug 25, 2007, 6:03 PM
I see it this way, If the svc dont work then it don't work. I Send customers to other companies alot. It shows that you honest and not tryin to rip people off. I believe that it gives you and your company a good name. Now 4 lines would have been rough so I hope you offered them a trial period. If they really wanted a certain phone the they'll at least try it out.
Jennyboo

Aug 25, 2007, 6:08 PM
I have.....if I know someone else has service where they live and we don't I'll recommend somewhere else.

Otherwise I know they'll be in every other day complaining and most likely just end up cancelling anyways.

I don't need chargebacks
iRawesome

Aug 26, 2007, 11:50 AM
I recommend Cingular/AT&T to people looking for International Plans since VZW doesn't offer any except for Canada.
OfAMightDivine

Aug 26, 2007, 12:10 PM
What I HATE about this entire issue.. is that all the companies claim to want the 'best' for their customers, and to the customers face, they will openly admit that, but internally is a different story.

I suppose it is different in store because you can generally tell (aside from Secret Shoppers) if you're being watched or not. For us in Customer Service, we can't really tell a customer that a competitor has something better than we do, even if it's clearly better for the customer to go with someone else. We're supposed to point out our strengths for said issue, even if it's something we're bad at.
Nikoletta

Aug 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
We get recorded every time so it's harder (like Brett said.) but once in a while I will give people a nudge in the direction of another carrier, usually Verizon. I refused to recommend Sprint or AT&T to anybody (Heard too many horror stories) but I've had Verizon and they did well enough, had no service or customer service trouble and they are one of the bigger coverage carriers.

I'll usually say something like "Well, T-Mobile DID rank #1 on the JD Powers overall customer satisfaction, Verizon got the number two slot." and let that go.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.