Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 129 replies

To Non English Speaking Citizens, and NON Citizens........

cilvzwagent

Jun 22, 2007, 2:10 PM
I do not speak Spanish. I never will. I have no plans on moving to your country therefore, I have no plans on learning your language. I do not know where the local T-Mo store is, because there isn't one within 30 miles of me. I can not give you directions to the nearest T-Mo store in English, so I'm definately not going to be able to tell you in another language. I sell Verizon, Not T-Mo. Therefore, I do not take payments for anyone but Verizon. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Signed,

Disgruntled Store Associate
ralph_on_me

Jun 22, 2007, 2:13 PM
uh oh... this sounds like a "National language of the US" debate in the early stages.
BeckyMobile

Jun 22, 2007, 2:16 PM
I have more of an issue with the

"Yo Yo ya'l cut ma phone on naow cause I be trippin with aout ma celly dawg ma bitch be straight trippin aight cause I dont call her nuff hommie"

than the
"Speaka spanish? Need pay bill, por favor" ๐Ÿ˜‰
PhoneyName

Jun 22, 2007, 2:48 PM
Amen, sister!!!
t.c.

Jul 3, 2007, 6:19 PM
that's f'n hilarious.

and i totally agree lol when people talk to me like that i just get that ''wtf" vibe coming right back at them.
cilvzwagent

Jun 22, 2007, 2:16 PM
No debate..... I just dont understand why people come here expecting us to learn their language for them, when they wont even learn our language for us.
ralph_on_me

Jun 22, 2007, 2:22 PM
cilvzwagent said:
when they wont even learn our language for us.

Ouch, that's the bomb. We have no National language. If you want one, blame the government.
cilvzwagent

Jun 22, 2007, 2:48 PM
Fine, I'll rephrase that.

They don't learn MY language for ME, but they want me to learn THEIR language for THEM. Because after all, I speak the same language as the....oh.. I don't know...... other 80% (just picking a number to state majority) of the country?

But yet, they wonder why there's a language barrier in this country. ๐Ÿ™„
craptacularwireless

Jun 22, 2007, 3:01 PM
You'll be in the minority soon enough. In an idealistic world they would learn English and it would make your job easer. We don't, however, live in an ideal word and you should adapt to the real world in which you live. Stop being ignorant about it and learn it.
TmoBrett

Jun 22, 2007, 4:08 PM
There is nothing ignorant about not learning Spanish. I agree we don't have a national language officially so it's hard to debate these sorts of issues however it's undebatably clear that the majority of American's speak English. When my great grand parents came through Ellis Island they didn't know English but they learned it, no one every (and I doubt they ever will) offered Polish or German for people who didn't want to learn English. If you went to Mexico or any other Spanish speaking language it would be expected that you learn the language at least if you want to in any way communicate without having to point to things and make a lot of gestures. For some reason though it's acceptable to come to the States and make the locals adapt to ...
(continues)
craptacularwireless

Jun 22, 2007, 4:17 PM
Like I said, in an ideal world that would happen, we don't not live in an ideal world.
WhoDey

Jun 23, 2007, 12:44 AM
That doesnt mean I need to lower my expectations of the general populace.

If one does not resist, change will never come.
t.c.

Jul 3, 2007, 6:18 PM
''when in rome" is all i have to say to that...

i won't go to a primarily german speaking area of germany and expect the majority to learn english for my sake. likewise, one should not come to the primarily english speaking u.s. and expect the majority to learn their language for their sake. it's just not practical.

alas, it's not a matter of living ''in an ideal world" it's a matter of practicality and common sense.
BeckyMobile

Jun 22, 2007, 2:19 PM
GAH! Sorry bout the b**ch!! It slipped I swear!
๐Ÿคญ
CTZ316

Jun 22, 2007, 2:34 PM
Ya right
iRawesome

Jun 22, 2007, 2:17 PM
I concur. I do not know what a "celluphan" is. I cannot sell you any "coolinplas", because I have never seen those. What I can sell you is a CELLULAR PHONE, and CALLING PLANS.

And maybe some Hooked on Phonics.
OfAMightDivine

Jun 23, 2007, 9:47 AM
Maybe we all need some "Hooked on ebonics" lessons, then? ๐Ÿคฃ
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 9:49 AM
๐Ÿ‘ฟ NO!!! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
OfAMightDivine

Jun 23, 2007, 9:51 AM
It was just a joke. Relax... homie.
iRawesome

Jun 23, 2007, 1:02 PM
Word, brah
BigShowJB

Jun 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
can i get a wooo WOOOOOO froumda wisseltips??
razrfreak

Jun 25, 2007, 11:10 AM
you sell phones monkey. if they are coming to you to buy something ITS NOT A #&*$%^#*(%#$ TV!

You people are retarded.

Learn your place
Foamy

Jun 26, 2007, 5:07 PM
razrfreak said:
You people

๐Ÿ˜ฒ
razrfreak said:
Learn your place

๐Ÿ˜ฒ ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Guy Montag

Jun 29, 2007, 2:10 PM
Foamy said:
razrfreak said:
You people

๐Ÿ˜ฒ
razrfreak said:
Learn your place

๐Ÿ˜ฒ ๐Ÿ˜ณ

๐Ÿคฃ Think he will get that? ๐Ÿ˜•
razrfreak

Jun 29, 2007, 2:20 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That's some nice subliminal racism. You should watch what you comment on, because it makes you look like an ass.
Guy Montag

Jun 29, 2007, 2:21 PM
You typed it moron.
iRawesome

Jun 29, 2007, 2:33 PM
Do you guys hear something? Sounds sort of like...blithering diatrabs being forcefully ejected from a fat clown's a$$hole...
Guy Montag

Jun 29, 2007, 2:34 PM
Nope, dude, that's his mouth.
iRawesome

Jun 29, 2007, 2:35 PM
Oooooh, okay.
M15TER P1NK

Jun 22, 2007, 2:27 PM
im actually learning spanish working here because i dont want to give up the acts... besides which it makes me more marketable... ill be able to put on my resume that i speak 3 languages... hopefully i wont have to make a new resume... because i want to keep moving up in sprint... my goal is to be a trainer because i love to teach what i know... and i know cell phones...

hell im not complaining im getting a free education in a forigen language... and learning it quicker than i learned my last one... took me five years to learn german... ill have fluent spanish in the bag in like a year and a half at this rate...
craptacularwireless

Jun 22, 2007, 3:02 PM
You're the smart one for seeing it that way. These other other people who complain should learn from you.
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 9:52 AM
Is it so wrong to want people who GO TO a country, to learn the lnguage of THAT country, not have the rest of the country learn the new language?

It's as old as "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 9:53 AM
Except Rome had a National language. Presently the US does not.

You can't use the arguement, "Learn the language of that country." You could say, "It's in your best interest to speak the same language of the majority of the population." but there most certainly is no requirement. All they really need to do is speak the same language as the community they live in, which is likely Spanish.
jarcher2828

Jun 29, 2007, 3:22 PM
Okay here is the Deal.

Stop complaining about them not speaking english.

If you speak spanish you will make more money.

I learned spanish just by working here at the mall.

And THEY LIVED HERE FIRST

We brutily kicked them out and forcefully took this land learn your history.
just_asking

Jun 29, 2007, 5:26 PM
1) I didn't kick anyone out. Don't put me in the "we" column.

2) It was a war, they lost. Get over it!

3) Have you been to Mexico lately. If they had won, we still be a third world country.

4) You are right, if you learn Spanish, you will make more money.

5) But if they learn English, they would make more money. or do you want them to stay uneducated cheap labor!
BHBEB12

Jun 30, 2007, 9:40 AM
BURN ๐Ÿคฃ
chainsaw

Jun 22, 2007, 2:58 PM
Well, lets just say that the u.s. economy dives and we are over poppulated and have to leave our country for work. lets say the best country to go to is north of us...canada. LEts say canadians speak french and you don't but there is still opportunity to move there and work enough to feed your family and for savings but if you don't you'll be forever impoverished because there are no opportunities in your country. Would you move even though you couldn't communicate with the majority of the population? I know I would.

I thinks it ridiculous that you can get mad at immigrant workers for not knowing english. They don't need to know english to work here why would they learn it? Everything is written in spanish and english.
craptacularwireless

Jun 22, 2007, 3:04 PM
Very valid points that people tend to lose sight of. They don't understand the dire straights that those people are in when they decide to come here. It's easy as a fat, lazy American to tell other people who they should do things when we have no idea what life is like for them.
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
but if I have to take my family to a french speaking country, you can be damned sure we will all be speaking basic french in the first year and by the end of year to we will all be fluent. There are people here 20 years (and not just the criminally resident [illegal immigrants]), but wives and parents,especially of people who have lived and worked here and even own businesses, that still do not know a word of english, not because they aren't exposed to it on a daily basis. They just think that they don't have to or they don't want to, because someone else will be there to pick up the slack for them by providing a taxpayer funded translator (i.e. Department of Human Services and other government agencies) or if they just look puzzzled enoug...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 10:07 AM
The translator should be provided by the government if needed. They're not required to speak English.
jestcuzzgrl

Jun 28, 2007, 8:45 AM
I don't care about spanish/english language who speaks what and all of that. I don't understand why Chinese people don't speak English. They are smart and I seriously think that they lie and say they don't speak English when they really do.
jarcher2828

Jun 29, 2007, 3:24 PM
so true
t.c.

Jul 3, 2007, 6:30 PM
there is a difference between not knowing the primary language, and refusing to learn it... as previously stated, there are plenty of people who just flat out refuse to learn the primary language (english) when they are perfectly capable of doing so. the dire straights they've lived is irrelevant; they're here now, and communication is a big part of surviving here. and they refuse a comprimise... yet expect us to bow to them. that's hardly right.
Lapdog

Jun 22, 2007, 3:05 PM
But they're not here JUST to work. Many come to stay...illegeally...putting an additional strain on the social welfare system...
Lapdog

Jun 22, 2007, 3:05 PM
Maybe this should move to the lounge...
chainsaw

Jun 22, 2007, 3:19 PM
true, but many of them are here legally as well. If we want to talk about strain on social welfare how about the healthcare costs that tax payers pay for so many fat a$$ americans who refuse to exercise(which is easier than learning a new language)so they have adult onset diabetes, heart disease, and so many other fat related health issues.

Read on

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/economic_con ... »

sorry your right this should be in the lounge.
Lapdog

Jun 22, 2007, 3:20 PM
shut up...I'm eating my Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese here at work...
craptacularwireless

Jun 22, 2007, 3:20 PM
๐Ÿคฃ
chainsaw

Jun 22, 2007, 3:23 PM
its cool eat 2. Just make sure you purge afterwards.
Lapdog

Jun 22, 2007, 3:26 PM
I prefer coffee enemas...
M15TER P1NK

Jun 22, 2007, 3:34 PM
additionally i dont think its right to descriminate against a person because of their education... half of my non english speaking clientel can barely read in their native language or even write their names... poor education system... not their fault... yet you expect them to just pick up english established by the department of defence as a CAT 5 language... its the only CAT 5 language... their system only goes up to CAT 5... spanish is a CAT 1... it is way easier to learn spanish than it is to learn english english...
craptacularwireless

Jun 22, 2007, 3:42 PM
People who've been speaking English all their lives can't even speak the language properly. Until they learn to speak it properly themselves, they shouldn't expect foreigners to do it.
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
example:
"hey y'all cut on phones here?"
and
"how much is yo nexsell phaoanes heah?"
cilvzwagent

Jun 22, 2007, 4:46 PM
There have been many valid points made on this issue. I was not trying to start a debate. I am just tired of these people coming in to my store and getting angry with me and trying to make me feel like sh** because I don't speak their language. If I were to move to a different country, and took no initiative to learn their language, that would be my fault. Not the poor guy sitting behind the counter going ๐Ÿคจ .

I understand there is poor education in this world, heck, there's poor education in this country! But that doesn't excuse people from taking some own personal initiative.

Everyone can say that there isn't an "Official language" in this country. But our founding fathers sure didn't write the Constitution in French, no...
(continues)
iRawesome

Jun 22, 2007, 4:54 PM
cilvzwagent said:
...or in PERFECT GRAMMATICAL FORM, but IRREGARDLESS, it's English--in some form or another.

Thought that was kind of funny/ironic.
t.c.

Jul 3, 2007, 6:36 PM
ironic, very. the pedantic in me is going crazy. no you did not sneak in an IRREGARDLESS! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ :p
chainsaw

Jun 22, 2007, 5:08 PM
Well it sounds like you have been to very few foreign countries. If you go to mexico most people speak english because they have to because their main industry is tourism. I think we are in an interesting position in the U.S. because of our immigrant workers so it is hard to say..."hey if I was moving to your country I would learn your language." You probably would, but if you didn't have to learn their language to get a job their and you had enough people speaking english to have a healthy social life and most signs,instructions, and restaraunts had english translations would you learn theirs?
iRawesome

Jun 22, 2007, 5:15 PM
In most big Japanese cities nowadays signs will have kanji in a big font and English in a smaller font. But that's just cities akin to the size of Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and sections within those cities like Shibuya.
chainsaw

Jun 22, 2007, 6:10 PM
sweet. I wanna go to japan.
Voltman

Jun 23, 2007, 7:14 AM
Well try being a NOC technician and when I speak Arabic my clients assume I am a terrorist. I hate that and when I speak to my friends they tell me the same thing (many are online technical support staff and get major drama because they have a language barrier). Hey don't take it personal.
DJ Parkay

Jun 22, 2007, 5:35 PM
Had a customer tell me once we should hire someone that speaks spanish. I was thiking you live in the middle of the USA, learn to speak English.

Also our carrier requires you to have an SSN to get service so technically we do not provide service to illeagles unless its pre-paid.
just_asking

Jun 22, 2007, 5:54 PM
If I go to Mexico, I do not expect, Mexicans to learn English for me. (If in rome, do what romans do) I expect from non-english speaking people from (Whatever country) the same respect. On the other hand, if I want to learn other languages, to improve myself, it should be my choice. I believe it is disrespectful to go to any country and not respect local laws and customs. I don't blame the non-english speaking public as much as I blame our own federal/state government and business. All they want is cheap labor, money and votes. Sorry for the rant!
loveface1106

Jun 23, 2007, 9:33 AM
Don't apologize for the rant. Its perfectly fine. The non-english speaking public wants to learn to speak english. They came from there homes to here to learn more and make a better life for themselves. Its hard learning a new language.
BigShowJB

Jun 23, 2007, 10:17 AM
not necessarily... many came here because it's an easy buck and they can come and go as they please because the liberal side of our societyhas said "Oh it's ok that they don't speak english or don't want to adpt to us. We should adapt to them!"
loveface1106

Jun 23, 2007, 9:29 AM
Okay, for that, people that speak spanish about 90% of them WANT to learn to speak english. But english is a hard language to learn as is spanish. But people that come here from another country and want to go to school to learn english don't have the requirements to go to school.

I'm not saying go ahead and accomodate them and learn spanish. Because guaranteed if you went to there country they will NOT accomodate you and learn english to make your life easier.

But at least they make an effort to speak to someone in english. But another thing, someone whos first language is spanish and they speak some english, they are afraid to speak. Why you ask? Because they are afraid they might say something wrong in english and the last thing the...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 9:47 AM
For most of my Spanish speaking customers, I speak to them in English and they speak to me in Spanish. I give their paperwork to them in spanish, and everything is dandy.
loveface1106

Jun 23, 2007, 9:51 AM
Kinda how the other people here at my store do it. But there are only 3 people who don't speak or understand spanish. The rest of us which is like 5 of us speak spanish.
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 9:54 AM
I can't speak it for crap, but I know what they're saying. The same is probably true for most of the Spanish speaking people I talk to.
loveface1106

Jun 23, 2007, 9:57 AM
Since you understand it you probably heard it enough and especially when someone is around you that translates it. Not unless you took it in school. Are you afraid to talk back because you might say something wrong to offend someone?
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
I never took spanish so my vocabulary is very low. I could stand there for five minutes fumbling for a word that I could understand in two seconds when I hear it.
loveface1106

Jun 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
Believe it or not. Once your around it 24/7 365 it gets easier. Just takes some time. Took my family and still is taking some time for my family to learn english.
jestcuzzgrl

Jun 28, 2007, 8:52 AM
Yea I believe they do. There are free classes where they can come and learn English. I can even got to classes to learn basic Spanish. I don't think I would like to go to class though. I'd much rather hang out with my mexicano homies.
chocolateman85006

Jun 23, 2007, 12:08 PM
cilvzwagent said:
I do not speak Spanish. I never will. I have no plans on moving to your country therefore, I have no plans on learning your language. I do not know where the local T-Mo store is, because there isn't one within 30 miles of me. I can not give you directions to the nearest T-Mo store in English, so I'm definately not going to be able to tell you in another language. I sell Verizon, Not T-Mo. Therefore, I do not take payments for anyone but Verizon. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Signed,

Disgruntled Store Associate

Tell us how you really fell! ๐Ÿคฃ
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
This is for all you intolerant racist pigs...
In my experience concerning all non-English speaking US citizens (not illegals); they all pay taxes, pay their phone bills on time, bring their friends business to you, and never de-activate.

it seems that people that weren't born her don't think the world owes the a living and if they are treated good by a business will be loyal customers.

Don't forget that unless you are a Native American you have immigrants as your roots too.
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
Even the native americans migrated here from Asia.
frankiewawa

Jun 23, 2007, 1:32 PM
Yes but we lived here first. ๐Ÿ˜
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 1:57 PM
Incorrect. The oldest human remains found in North America were not of Asian decent, but of Westeren European.
jarcher2828

Jun 29, 2007, 3:00 PM
not in California, Arizona, Texas, or new Mexico...

Look at the names of the cities and street...

El Paso
Santa Ana
Costa Mesa
Corona Del Mar (Where the OC is filmed)
San Diego

We Just brutily murdered, raped, stole the land from them and now claim that their the immigrants.

Americans really need to learn their history better
ralph_on_me

Jun 29, 2007, 3:24 PM
Frankie was referencing Native Americans, not white people nor hispanics.
DJ Parkay

Jul 3, 2007, 7:27 PM
Yea and the naive americans stole the land from the mexicans before the wite folks took it from the native americans. Vote Mcgovern in 72!
exoduz

Jun 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
and my immigrant ancestors learned to speak english...because....wait for it........

EVERYONE HERE SPOKE ENGLISH!
iRawesome

Jun 23, 2007, 1:06 PM
In my experience concerning all non-English speaking US citizens; they have a higher arrest rate, they steal American jobs becasue they work for dirt cheap, they screw up the social security system, they suck at driving, and the only reason they never de-activate is becasue the drug money keeps them well-supplied.

I'm not racist, but I fully support armed border guards and a strictly enforced deportatin policy.
TmoBrett

Jun 23, 2007, 1:35 PM
speaking of sucking at driving why have I been in more sketchy situations with women behind the wheel yet I pay more for car insurance...
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 2:01 PM
I think statistically they drive slower, so they're less likely to die in an accident. So even if you're less likely to be in a wreck, you're more likely to die in a wreck.
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 2:10 PM
Or cause injury. Illeagles are uninsured and just hop back over the border before the court date.
BigShowJB

Jun 24, 2007, 12:31 PM
they don't even have to go back over the borde all the time ... just move to the next city w/ a different name when the next harvesting season changes
TmoBrett

Jun 26, 2007, 3:55 PM
wow new geico catchphrase "It's not how many times you F*** up and get in an accident, it's how F***ed up you get in an accident!" All said by that charming little lizard with the accent.
ralph_on_me

Jun 26, 2007, 4:07 PM
I've never been in an accident and haven't had a ticket since I was first learning to drive.

I still pay a lot. Go figure.
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 2:09 PM
I was speaking of US citizens not illeagles.
razrfreak

Jun 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
๐Ÿคฃ

that is one of the most racist things i have ever seen.

kudos. I really enjoyed the "i am not racist" part at the end. you are awesome.
Guy Montag

Jun 29, 2007, 2:12 PM
Its not racist if he doens't point out a race. Its stereotyping illegal immagrants though. If he broke it down further it wouldn't have looked so bad. Not to mention there are stats to back up everything he said as well. ๐Ÿ™„
razrfreak

Jun 29, 2007, 2:18 PM
Read his post again and tell me who has no reading comprehension.....

You have 10 minutes to apologize or i will point out what you have problems reading in his post.
Guy Montag

Jun 29, 2007, 2:21 PM
Do I really have to wait ten minutes for you to make a fool of yourself? ๐Ÿคจ
PhoneyName

Jun 23, 2007, 1:39 PM
They may be loyal customers, but you expect them to learn english too.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 2:11 PM
Well I do, but if they don't its their loss.
charliegirl

Jun 23, 2007, 1:55 PM
Last I checked, you had to learn english to become a citizen
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 2:12 PM
Not anymore. In fact, they cant even force you to learn the Pledge of Allegiance anymore I think.
ralph_on_me

Jun 23, 2007, 2:19 PM
They can't force you to learn English because there are no laws requiring it. It's amazing how many English speaking citizens just assume it's that way because it's what they speak.
txsolitaire

Jun 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
whats amazing to me is how staunchly you defend this issue. with a battle cry of "theres no official language!" you charge into the fray on like 5 posts here. Like someone said before, my immigrant ancestors came here for a better life much like them. I speak english now because they learned english TO COMMUNICATE. And, again repeating what was already posted, the founding fathers didnt write the constitution in french, spanish, german, or ebonics. ENGLISH. Even if it isn't the "OFFICIAL LANGUAGE" - if the majority of a country speaks a certain language i don't think it really matters what the official language is or if there is one. Its not like they are confused as to what language to learn.
ralph_on_me

Jun 27, 2007, 2:03 PM
I like to combat ignorance in general. When people say, "Why can't they learn our language?" and get very defensive, I point out that they have absolutely no grounds to stand on. They have nothing to be angry about except their own unwillingness to adapt and learn. They're on the edge of bigotry, and I don't want to see them fall off and make things worse than they already are.

It's good that your family learned a new language to communicate. If someone has to learn a new language, they will. If your family had moved into a German speaking town, they probably would've learned German.
cilvzwagent

Jun 28, 2007, 1:35 PM
They have nothing to be angry about except their own unwillingness to adapt and learn.

Which was my point in the first place! I don't speak any language other than English, don't get pissed at me because I live in America and was born and raised on the English language. I'm just sick and tired of the immigrants, legal and illegal both, coming into my store and giving me greif because they moved here, can't speak my language, and I can't understand them.

And to all of you who say that in my job, I would become more "marketable" if I knew the other languages... The amount of money in college education it would take for me to learn to speak the many different languages that there are in this country now, w
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Jun 28, 2007, 1:55 PM
Them getting pissed at you for not knowing Spanish is retarded. My point was that no one "has" to know another language. It's their choice.

I think you're being a little unreasonable about spending money on college courses to learn other languages. There are many third party courses, and of course there's no better teacher than to immerse yourself in a language. You'd probably have no reason to ever learn Russian or Japanese.
cilvzwagent

Jun 28, 2007, 4:32 PM
But in 10 years we'll be saying, why not conform to the russians and japanese people too, because after all we don't have an official language!

I guess it's a moot point, and a tired argument.

But either way, it irritates me.
ralph_on_me

Jun 28, 2007, 4:58 PM
Honestly man, they shouldn't be ripping into you for not knowing Spanish. We can't rip into them for not knowing English. You began this thread by generally complaining about the way they were treating you, which is a valid complaint. They shouldn't have done that. Language isn't the issue, but I knew it would turn into one of those debates.
t.c.

Jul 3, 2007, 6:58 PM
cilvzwagent said:
And to all of you who say that in my job, I would become more "marketable" if I knew the other languages... The amount of money in college education it would take for me to learn to speak the many different languages that there are in this country now, would take many many MANY years of activations to the non english speaking community to make it worth my invested time and money.

you don't need to spend all your money in college to learn another language. there are immersion programs, books, tapes, etc.

i'm relearning french through a berlitz book i bought for $5 (i say relearning because after 10 years of not using the language i'm no longer fluent, boo, and have to refresh mysel...
(continues)
cilvzwagent

Jun 23, 2007, 2:31 PM
So, the fact that I find it frustrating and upsetting that those people who don't speak my language come in to my , and treat me like sh** because I don't understand them, makes me racist???????? So, does that mean that if I go to Mexico, and don't know Spanish, and they're frustrated because I got pissed at them for not speaking English, that they're racist towards me? Wow, you really need to do some research behind that strong word before you use it.

Rac-ism: The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I nowhere said I thought I was superior to them, nor did I judge their own human character. No where di...
(continues)
OfAMightDivine

Jun 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
Don't forget that unless you are a Native American you have immigrants as your roots too.

"Native American" is seen by alot of people as a racist term. In fact most Indians ("Native" that is) are insulted by the term. It was made up by the Department Of The Interior in 1970 to classify people. Also you should know that the word Indian is not from Columbus thinking he reached India. India was called Hindustan in 1492. Columbus spoke Italian and had little knowledge of Spanish. He originally called the people here "Una gente in Dios" what translates to A people in God.

In Dios. Indians. Get it?
yeahright

Jun 25, 2007, 5:06 PM
depends on the where they came from.. some of my best custoemrs set up prepaid with Mexican ID's
cellb1tch

Jun 28, 2007, 4:43 PM
it has nothing to do if they pay their bill or charge you back. it has to do with the fact that when our ancestors came over here they HAD to learn english to get work and survive. i have no problem with people coming to america to make a better life for themselves, but they should respect the fact that WE SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! i wouldn't go to spain and expect them to cater to me because i don't speak spanish. why should it be any different over here??? it has nothing to do with anybody being racist it has to do with respect!!!
ralph_on_me

Jun 28, 2007, 4:55 PM
Once again, THEY should respect the fact that YOU speak English. THEY speak Spanish. YOU should respect that THEY speak Spanish. There is no WE.
cellb1tch

Jun 28, 2007, 5:00 PM
WE AS A COUNTRY SPEAK ENGLISH!!! I do respect the fact that they speak Spanish but if they are in a predominantly English speaking country, and want to earn money that is printed in english, LEARN ENGLISH!!!!!
ralph_on_me

Jun 28, 2007, 5:02 PM
YOU are in an English speaking area. WE as a country do not speak English. People would function better in their society if they knew the predominant language. Don't assume it's English.
chainsaw

Jun 28, 2007, 4:58 PM
The difference is that they don't "need" to learn english to get by here.

Our economy would crumble if we didn't have illegal workers here.
iRawesome

Jun 29, 2007, 2:34 PM
Here, here.
just_asking

Jun 28, 2007, 5:07 PM
Why do you assume that I am racist because, I would like everyone to speak the same language. It doesn't have anything to do with race either. It's economics. You speak English, you get better job, make more money, get off public dole. Have happier life. I want everyone to succeed. To me it's racist and stupid for us not to insist that the legal/illegal immigrants better themselves. Keeping them a permanent underclass does not help anyone but the super rich who want cheap labor.
DJ Parkay

Jun 29, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yep, you are a racist and a bigot.
razrfreak

Jun 29, 2007, 1:08 PM
I don't think he is as racist as he is stupid. He tried so hard to capitalize everything properly but his puncuation and syntax is horrible. It took me 5 minutes to read the freaking thing.
just_asking

Jun 29, 2007, 5:34 PM
And how am I a racist? Name one racist comment that I have made. I though I made the point, I want all people to succeed.

1) This is the United States

2) We have laws to follow to get into this country. If they are not followed, then you are breaking the law.
cellb1tch

Jul 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
Definitely not racist SINCE WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A RACE!!! We are talking about people who can't speak the language that we predominatly speak in America.
chainsaw

Jun 23, 2007, 1:42 PM
I love immigrants I just sold a new act to Juan of them!
timslo

Jun 23, 2007, 1:44 PM
๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ Very funny!
DJ Parkay

Jun 23, 2007, 2:19 PM
Ill be dammed I just had a non speaker come in to activate as I was reading this.
mallbound

Jun 27, 2007, 7:19 PM
Hmm so this thread reminds me of this video...
http://www.kerman94.com/mexicotourism.html »

Enjoy the irony ๐Ÿ˜
aavera

Jun 27, 2007, 8:00 PM
๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ
my best friend Jack

Jun 28, 2007, 6:23 PM
oh my god!!!!

that is by far one of the funniest things i have seen in a long time

where did you find that?
mallbound

Jun 29, 2007, 6:28 PM
it was sent to me in an email by a friend who received it via chainmail. I figured it was pretty much appropriate for this thread topic.
iRawesome

Jun 30, 2007, 9:44 AM
Awesome. Simply, awesome.
chainsaw

Jun 28, 2007, 6:16 PM
Has anyone here seen the southpark where the future people or "goo backs" come back from the future to work because of overpopulation and poverty? This thread reminds me of that.
chainsaw

Jun 28, 2007, 6:37 PM
well here I found the link for those of you who aren't firewalled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch4fVaVxyg0 » part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RxNNaQCGNw »
part 2
BHBEB12

Jun 30, 2007, 11:41 AM
OK so can I just say that after going through every response to this chain, I have come to the conclusion that most of you are liberal pansies, the "I don't spank my child, I give them TIME OUT" kind of people. Cilvzwagent wasn't saying that those who speak Spanish need to forget all about their own language or ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH. He's saying that if you want to live in this country, you should atleast know SOME of the language, and as hard as the English language may be to learn, if you want to live here you should WANT to learn the language. If you have no desire to learn the language then you really have no business being here. That is the whole point to living in another country, adapting to their different ways of living. Learning the E...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.