Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

I hate the internet

robtheman

Apr 7, 2007, 2:48 PM
Most of the time, my store offers the same price or cheaper prices than the internet on new activations. Upgrades aren't even close most of the time. The internet can undercut my prices by as much as $200. I've had 4 people come in today that start talking to me by saying, "I want to upgrade my phone. I saw this deal on the internet..." After I inform them of my prices and that I can't price match what's on the internet, they continue to press me about how much better the internet is than my store. You know what? If you feel that way, fine. Say something like, "Thanks, I'll be back." Get out of my store if you don't want to do business here. Don't sit here and explain to me and my other customers that my competition is cheaper when...
(continues)
krickt

Apr 7, 2007, 2:58 PM
I just had a visitant tell me that at another store they are waiving activation and giving the $30 rebates as instant rebates. I smiled, said that we were waiving activation as well (as well as every other USCC in our area) but that they should run back to the other store to get the instant rebates, I couldn't match that. They sat in my store and whined about how those guys don't give away free car chargers and a case. I smiled again. It's $30 bucks either way, you can have either one or the other. I'm not going to waive anything not sponsored by USCC, and they aren't going to give you extra free stuff.

I got to say..... "Make a decision, either one or the other. You can't have both, not here anyway." They sat in my store for 20 ...
(continues)
robtheman

Apr 7, 2007, 3:07 PM
Yeah, I like dealing with people like that. I had one guy that told me that a phone was cheaper on the internet. I had him log in to the website to see the online prices (I thought we beat the online price on this phone). Turns out that after our rebate and everything, we were still $50 more. He sat there and thought about it for a minute and said, "Well, I guess it's the same after the rebate. I'll go ahead and buy it here."

Me: 😳

I don't mind dealing with people when I actually have a chance to compete. It's the stuff when we're blown out of the water that pisses me off. I can't even say anything to overcome a $200 difference. I don't know why they don't just leave.
craptacularwireless

Apr 7, 2007, 5:38 PM
You must sell Verizon. I deal with that every day.
youngxlos

Apr 7, 2007, 6:20 PM
i HATE upgrades i work for simply wireless in virgnia selling sprint nextel and tmobile and we always get people that talked to customer service for the price and come to the store expecting the same price they leave thinkin that we are tryin to rip them off BUT our new act prices beat all 3 company direct prices
Crapbag

Apr 7, 2007, 3:37 PM
I like it when they bring in a wirefly offer and expect me to match it. Of course they are angry that I won't.
robtheman

Apr 7, 2007, 3:37 PM
I've never had someone bring in a Wirefly offer. That's probably a good thing.
Crapbag

Apr 7, 2007, 3:45 PM
Sure, since everything aside from pdas and blackberries are free. I don't understand why wirefly carries half the phones they do. Why get a pos phone when you can get a mp3 player for the same price(free)?
robtheman

Apr 7, 2007, 3:47 PM
Man, I HATE free phones.
jalanjalaning

Apr 7, 2007, 4:34 PM
when they say (or, rather usually whine) "it's cheaper on the internet" I want to say "then buy it online... oh, and don't bring it to me when you have a question or problem... I will be pleased to help you as long as I work here and as long as you have the phone if you bought it from me. The internet can beat my price but they can't beat my service... you decide."

the other day some guy came up and said "I heard buying your phone online is best deal, is that true?" and I said, "you realize you're asking someone with a strong bias, right?"
Crapbag

Apr 7, 2007, 4:51 PM
I had a guy ask me to call our local corp store for instore prices. I laughed and told him that would be like asking JC Pennies to call Wallmart for you. He claimed that if I had good customer service I would do it. I responded that I am more that willing to do it but wanted to point out what he was asking me to do. 🙄
timslo

Apr 7, 2007, 5:37 PM
i feel the same way....if you see a good deal, TAKE IT! don't try and short change a store by making them try to match the offer from the internet. but i do tell customers that if they buy online that they will have to call customer service when they have issues. i don't tell them i won't help them but i don't say that i will either.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.