Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

The Potential Alltel Wireless Acquisition

raycarroll70

Mar 5, 2007, 2:01 PM
Who would everyone like to see acquire Alltel Wireless? Everyone knows who I'd like to see push Scott T. Ford off the proverbial cliff with his Golden Parachute. 😁 I'm sure Chad's new friends will be there for him. 😉
not2brite

Mar 5, 2007, 2:07 PM
Looks like VZW...but folks are rooting for ComCast...

Cing/at&T-GSM...too much $$$ to convert

Sprint (sorry raycarroll70) still mired deep into the Nextel thing!

T-Mobile-ain't gonna happen, GSM again.

Good fit for VZW...all that roaming revenue would be saved, we get Chad as well as Ryan Newman!
computerking

Mar 5, 2007, 4:15 PM
Verizon would have some issues in certain areas. You are only allowed to own so much spectrum in each market, Verizon would probably need to sell some spectrum.

Now USCC would be a nice match for it!
cremz

Mar 5, 2007, 4:19 PM
Alltel would have to buy USCC, but hell yea, THAT would be a good merger/buyout...granted it wouldn't ever happen, but it's a good idea.

Alltel, i think, is looking for the cheap way out, and get bought. I think they realize that they can't keep up in the national realm and are looking to sell at maximum value. Wouldn't be surprised to see any other major regional carriers make themselves availible shortly...
not2brite

Mar 5, 2007, 4:31 PM
Like USCC???
not2brite

Mar 5, 2007, 4:30 PM
Yeah, to buy VZW's excess...
blusdrmr

Mar 6, 2007, 11:45 AM
USCC!?!?!?!? OH, GOD!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 😲
krickt

Mar 5, 2007, 2:37 PM
Personally, I would like to see Verizon be #1 again, just because I can't stand the new MaBell wannabe ATT/SWB. But I'm still rooting for Comcast.
knn_dm

Mar 5, 2007, 3:24 PM
as much as I don't want Verizon to get Alltel. they probably will. I'd like to see Sprint get it. They need all they help they can get right now.
krickt

Mar 5, 2007, 3:42 PM
Sprint would benefit, but it is going to take years (at least 4) for them to recover fully from the Nextel merger. Taking on another company would mean that recovery will take a decade, and they might not have that much time in the current market to fully recover.

Verizon, however, seems to have the dollars and the biggest incentive to take advantage of this. They have been grumbling about Cingular becoming #1, and it's eating them up. By buying Alltel, they basically get to give Cingy the finger. I kinda like that idea. Plus, in my market, if they bring those sad plans in, it will improve our product, and at the same time increase our numbers. Our plans are better with most of the same phones as they have.
knn_dm

Mar 5, 2007, 3:51 PM
Now that I think about it, some of our stores do sell alltel so maybe it would bring VZW in replacement of Cingular. Probably won't happen but I'd love it if it did. I'm with you on giving cingy the finger though.
ralph_on_me

Mar 5, 2007, 3:47 PM
If comcast took it, that would bring another competitor to the table for the all for home services. We'll need that kind of competition.
not2brite

Mar 5, 2007, 4:04 PM
I fear ComCast would get into it, then decide that they are in over their heads with the wireless thing, then VZW would pick up the mess behind. Not good for Chad and his friends...

If VZW gets it, they would avoid all the "we're new to wireless and not sure what to do" kind of stuff...

VZW is really the best, most reliable thing to do...(take that raycarroll70!)
raycarroll70

Mar 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
Just remember the JV Sprint has with Comcast. It would be interesting if COmcast did indeed aquire Alltel Wireless.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
i honestly dont see that happening anytime soon so dont hold your breath

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.