Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 12 replies

CES coverage: feedback?

Rich Brome

Jan 9, 2011, 5:36 PM
Well, CES 2011 has wrapped up. It was one of the biggest in recent memory; perhaps one of the biggest ever when it comes to phones. We're exhausted and recovering, but already planning for the next couple months of shows and events.

We tried something new for our show coverage this year. What did you guys think of it? We're eager to hear what you thought of both the format and the content.
IrishCarBomb

Jan 9, 2011, 7:24 PM
I liked the new format, one click and you could see all the different articles related to CES.

I was a little disappointed you guys didn't cover the Android tablets at all, especially given that they all seem to be tied to carriers. But I am sure the reasoning is sound, this is phonescoop, not tablet scoop.

One thing I missed from the past formats, though, and maybe I am remembering wrongly here and thus this is a suggestion in that case, having the tabs on the top that let you pick different manufacturers. I like to look at each brands line up more than this phone, then that phone, then another phone, all from a different brand. Especially when each brand has 3 different phones that are all similar, but have a few differences, make...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jan 9, 2011, 7:57 PM
That's great feedback, and something already on our to-do list. Thanks! We should have that for our next big trade show.
Joby Dick

Jan 9, 2011, 9:29 PM
is that to-do list? 😛

You've discussed your opinion against including tablets among the devices you review, but how strongly do you feel on that position?

You, of all people here, have a great understanding of the wireless world and most likely the direction it's going in. It just seems logical to include tablets into the website, considering that they are starting to take off and likely will become synonymous with the wireless data market.

It's no personal bias that I have, considering the fact that I neither own, nor intend to own a tablet anytime soon. Rather, I can't imagine phonescoop not offering them on their lineup! Well, that's probably my hubris speaking. 😛
llama

Jan 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
I would imagine once tablets become phones, then they would be included.
llama

Jan 10, 2011, 12:48 PM
I mean aircards aren't on this site, are they?
Joby Dick

Jan 10, 2011, 5:22 PM
but aircards play a small role in the wireless market. I really think tabs are going to take off and become synonymous with cell phones.
Rich Brome

Jan 11, 2011, 6:37 PM
I very much appreciate the feedback, but I feel differently.

Tablets may run on the same networks, and run similar software, and even have most of the same "guts" as phones, but that's all technical details, not the end-user experience.

Blu-ray players have the same guts as a basic desktop PC these days, and they hook up to a screen and network. But that doesn't mean PCs and Blu-ray players belong in the same category.

A tablet is really a very different type of device compared to a phone, with different use cases and therefore very different design criteria.

When you try to blur the line, it doesn't work well. Look at the Dell Streak 5; not very successful. A failure in the market, actually. Tablets and phones are distinct.

A...
(continues)
IrishCarBomb

Jan 11, 2011, 9:21 PM
Not that we are there yet, or will get there.

But lets say we fast forward a couple years, and tablets evolve and morph to the point that is what they are; the device you carry with you all the time. Would you include them then?

Personally, I don't see that. Too big and awkward in my book. But lets say that is where we end up...
Azeron

Jan 15, 2011, 1:03 PM
http://www.oqo.com/products/index.html »

I remember how badly I wanted an oqo back in 2007. I just do not understand how something as unwieldy as a tablet can take off but something like a cell phone-sized computer flops.
Eruaphadion

Apr 2, 2011, 3:01 PM
Cell phone sized computers didn't flop - They became cell phones. Can you say Android?
Thefireballkid

Jan 10, 2011, 5:09 PM
i liked the layout, the coverage, everything. i appreciate the hard work that you and your team put in to make sure us, as consumers, are up to date on new technology.

keep doing what you're doing and i will be here reading!
Cellular Phone

Jan 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
I found each posting to be helpful, informative, and entertaining.

Also, thank you for not reporting on the Verizon iPhone until it was officially announced, instead of just inundating us with the rumors. I stopped going to other websites because of all of the rumors, and, I think Phonescoop has the best organization and is easiest to navigate. Thank you.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.