Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

Word filter

Joby Dick

Dec 22, 2010, 6:49 PM
Rich, this one goes to far on censorship. Really.

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
Joby Dick

Dec 22, 2010, 7:04 PM
Rich, this one goes too far on censorship. Really.
Rich Brome

Dec 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
That's unfortunate. I do apologize.

A smarter man would write a better profanity filter. Until that mans runs this site, you're stuck with me. Sorry.

😛

But seriously, it's hard to create a good profanity filter. People get very creative very quickly when they want to get around the filter. We have to at least try to make it effective or there's no point. All but the most lax filter is going to have some false positive hits.

The ratio of false positives to false negatives (people successfully getting around the filter) is probably 2 : 10,000. I think that's pretty good. I don't consider that "too far" on censorship.

Yes of course I'd prefer zero false positives, but that's harder than it sounds.

We had someone banned rece...
(continues)
Joby Dick

Dec 23, 2010, 1:34 PM
Fair enough. I do understand that battling profanity will result in a few rare instances such as this. I'll just say 'if a woman' next time. 😉

Thanks for the info!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.