Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Carrier-Rich

mmcnier

Apr 14, 2005, 5:48 PM
TracFone is quite popular & has been around for yeeeeeears. How come they are not on the Carriers page?
ccanady

Apr 14, 2005, 6:26 PM
If I am corect Rich only put carriers on the carrier page only if they have 1 million plus subscribers.
pizpiz80

Apr 14, 2005, 6:29 PM
I think ccanady is correct on this one.
Hello Moto

Apr 14, 2005, 6:33 PM
I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but they are an MVNO and have agreements with Cingular TDMA and GSM, and I know they have a MVNO with a CDMA carrier that I think is Verizon, not sure.
justpeachy

Apr 14, 2005, 6:49 PM
Also TDMA (and maybe CDMA too) with USCC
Rich Brome

Apr 15, 2005, 11:26 AM
Correct. I have no idea how many subscribers they have. The best guide I've found for # of subscribers for most carriers is RCR's "By the Numbers", but unfortunately they don't list TracFone. 😕
mmcnier

Apr 15, 2005, 11:30 AM
What if you called?
pizpiz80

Apr 15, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ok, put your self in Rich's shoes... Do you think its actually worth all the trouble to make/create a Tracfone forum? After all there really isnt too much you can talk about. I guess im just assuming you have Tracfone and have questions? just mho.
sapphirester

Apr 2, 2007, 4:05 PM
Ever lock the SIM card ?
SIM Card 😁 locked...
Emergency number only!
Tracfones response was
We'll send you another SIM card
mmcnier

Apr 15, 2005, 12:41 PM
Actually i am a CINGULAR customer. Pre-pay is a bad idea, accept for GoPhone. I just think that if you are going to list pre-pay providers, then you should list the orignal...
tequilasundae

Apr 16, 2005, 8:08 PM
uscellularkicks the go phones hiney....except for area,,, 🤭
mmcnier

Apr 18, 2005, 10:46 AM
exactly, it isnt available everywhere. Just like Cricket & Metro POS (piece of...). For a NATIONAL carrier, GoPhone is the best.
bigwille

Apr 19, 2005, 1:02 PM
TracFone is a reseller of other Wireless companies service
geminiwireless.com

Apr 19, 2005, 2:26 PM
bigwille said:
TracFone is a reseller of other Wireless companies service

So is Virgin mobile and Boost so that can't be the reason. Maybe they are not on the list because they are the worst value in prepaid.
mmcnier

Apr 15, 2005, 9:43 AM
ccanady said:
If I am corect Rich only put carriers on the carrier page only if they have 1 million plus subscribers.
Hello Moto said:
I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but they are an MVNO and have agreements with Cingular TDMA and GSM, and I know they have a MVNO with a CDMA carrier that I think is Verizon, not sure.
justpeachy said:
Also TDMA (and maybe CDMA too) with USCC

So what if they are an MVNO. Virgin Mobile is an MVNO. Boost Mobile is an MVNO. According to their website: TracFone Wireless is a subsidiary of América Móvil (NYSE: AMX, NASDAQ: AMOV), Latin America's largest mobile phone provider, with more than 61 m...
(continues)
mmcnier

Apr 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
Their website states more than 4.4 million active subscribers ending 4Q04

http://www.tracfone.com/about.jsp?task=about¤t ... »
Rich Brome

Apr 16, 2005, 1:46 PM
Thanks!

Not many people ask about or mention TracFone, so it's just never really come up before.

It's also kind of tricky, since they use an odd mix of different networks in different areas. I don't quite understand their strategy - it would seem much more cost-effective for them to focus on one network, technology, and phone lineup, like basically all other MVNOs... 😕

But anyway, I will contact them and look into adding them to the main carriers list.

Thanks again! 🙂
mmcnier

Apr 18, 2005, 10:44 AM
Well I am moving to Miami in July. Their headquarters is located there. I have been looking to dive back into the wireless industry again (used to work for Voicestream/T-Mobile). I know that they are prepaid, but it still would be the wireless world. Maybe if I do start a career there, I will give you all of the inside info.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.