Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Major change in mode listings: 800 is now 850

Rich Brome

Apr 13, 2005, 6:32 PM
I've just made a major change to how we describe the modes in the phone specs. It's bound to cause some confusion initially, but it's really pretty simple, so I wanted to explain it here.

Basically, instead of referring to the standard cellular band as "800", we now call it "850". So anywhere it used to say "GSM 800", it now says "GSM 850", and anywhere it said "CDMA 800", it now says "CDMA 850".

This brings the GSM modes in line with the norm, but unfortunately does the opposite for CDMA, AMPS, and TDMA. I can't help that the industry uses inconsistent terms, but I can at least make references to the same band consistent on this site.

So even though "CDMA 850" isn't very a common way to refer to that mode, at least it's correctly r...
(continues)
mmcnier

Apr 14, 2005, 1:51 PM
Dont you just wish that there was ONE standard? There are so many frequencies & technologies. You cant help to wonder when other bands will be used & what new technology will be coming out. They should just have one GIANT network & call it SNMC... Standard Network For Mobile Communications.
texaswireless

Apr 14, 2005, 3:30 PM
Because many governments did not have the forsight and imagination to see the future of radio communications in general we now have to deal with this information.

On this topic Rich, do you have any threads or could you repost any info on the Nextel spectrum swap. What did they give up and what did they get? My understanding is everything is actually official, right?

Thanks
nextel18

Apr 15, 2005, 2:13 PM
"On this topic Rich, do you have any threads or could you repost any info on the Nextel spectrum swap. What did they give up and what did they get? My understanding is everything is actually official, right?"

i can help you on that one.

the report and order has been accepted by nextel and the rebanding process is being done as we speak.

nextel gives up 4mhz of 700mhz spectrum
nextel gives up 4.5mhz of 800mhz spectrum
fcc said that nextel doesnt have to give up 900 mhz spectrum.

----
nextel gets 10mhz of nationwide contiguous 1.9ghz spectrum. nextel gets to keep their 900mhz spectrum (4mhz). they have an option to bid on more 900mhz spectrum. also they can use their subsiduary's 900mhz spectrum. (aci 900 inc)

again.....
(continues)
texaswireless

Apr 15, 2005, 4:44 PM
Got it,

Thanks.
nextel18

Apr 15, 2005, 8:09 PM
any time 🙂

basically they get contig in 1.9 and in 800, which both can be "transformed" into cdma. thats the main reason why they offered to do this deal. (also the interference problem)
texaswireless

Apr 20, 2005, 1:35 AM
Can I get a third party verification on this info or a link to another thread with the data?

Thanks
nextel18

Apr 20, 2005, 4:35 AM
yea, call up nextel and go to the fcc site to search it. 🙂 i guess this can help you... http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA490429? text=mmds&stt=001

"The Spectrum & Where It's At
700 MHz
Currently Nextel Communications has 4 MHz of near nationwide spectrum. Under the FCC's 800 MHz decision, Nextel* would turn this back in to the commission for use by public safety.

800 MHz
Nextel has 18.5 MHz. Under the FCC's decision, Nextel would give public safety 4.5 MHz of spectrum, leaving Nextel with 14 MHz of spectrum and public safety with 14.5 (it had 10 MHz).

Nextel currently holds a running average of 4 MHz of spectrum at 900 MHz. Although the Consensus Plan had Nextel contributing this to public safety, the FCC's decision did n...
(continues)
Hello Moto

Apr 15, 2005, 5:31 PM
It may not be suitable, but I would just list it as iDEN and under glossary for iDEN state it uses both 800/900.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.