Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 18 replies

Site / Server Changes

Rich Brome

Feb 1, 2005, 8:12 PM
Hey folks - good news! 🙂

I've made a few changes recently on the server side of things, to speed up to the site and prepare for continued traffic growth.

If you notice any problems with the site, particularly with any of the areas mentioned below, please let me know immediately. Thanks! 🙂

So the improvements are:
  • Added a load balancer and 2nd web server. This is a huge step for us. One potential glitch to look for is lost sessions. If you are logged in, but then suddenly you find yourself logged out unexpectedly, that's a lost session, and that's problem. Please let me know if this happens to you. The load balancer should make sure that doesn't happen, but it's new so I don't quite trust it yet. 😉
  • RSS feed
(continues)
schnozejt

Feb 2, 2005, 2:49 AM
Thnx Rich, u the man
Rich Brome

Feb 3, 2005, 2:13 PM
Okay - I've identified an issue that was affecting AOL users and causing problems with login, etc. It's a common problem with load-balanced servers. It's one of the reasons most webmasters hate AOL... đŸ‘ŋ

Anyway, I've implemented a temporary work-around. If the issue is detected during login, you'll be redirected to a new login page that should work.

I need your help to come up with a permanent solution for this.

If you are an AOL user, please take the time to report any issues with login or unexpected logout.

If you are not an AOL user, but also run into the alternate login page, please let me know. I need to know if this issue only affects AOL users.

Please use the "Contact / Feedback" link on the left to r...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Feb 23, 2005, 4:08 PM
Okay, I've just implemented some code that should help make the timeout / sudden-logout problem less frequent for most people.

It's not a complete fix, though, so I'm still working on a more permanent solution.

Also, there have been some issues lately with the site being sporadically unavailable at the main address today. I'm working on that also.

And there was a necessary change to the ad code today that may slow down page loading temporarily, but I'm working on a fix for that as well... ☚ī¸

Please bear with us... your patience is appreciated!
sammy2

Feb 23, 2005, 6:07 PM
sorry my post on the timeouts crossed yours. My most recent timeout was 4:05 PST on 2/23.

thanks again!!
JessiCSR

Feb 24, 2005, 12:53 PM
I get kicked out five out of ten times i move through the site. đŸ˜ĸ
Mr.PIR

Feb 24, 2005, 2:52 PM
JessiCSR said:
I get kicked out five out of ten times i move through the site. đŸ˜ĸ

I know me too, but i can't bitch about it, its free, so not much we can do!
Rich Brome

Feb 24, 2005, 6:31 PM
Okay...

The hack I made yesterday didn't seem to help much, and caused some new problems, so I've ditched that.

I've implemented something new, though, that is much closer to a real solution.

If you've been having problems with being logged out unexpectedly, please log out now, and log back in again. Then let me know whether you run into the problem after that.

Thanks!

Hopefully this will do the trick! 🙂
coldsteel

Feb 24, 2005, 7:31 PM
Haven't in the past 10 minutes. 🙂
Rich Brome

Feb 24, 2005, 7:45 PM
...and also, make sure that you're on "www.phonescoop.com", and not "www1.phonescoop.com" or "www2.phonescoop.com".

Thanks! 🙂
coldsteel

Feb 24, 2005, 7:54 PM
yeah, I saw that earlier today.
Rich Brome

Feb 24, 2005, 9:18 PM
Yep, the www1 and www2 addresses were part of the temporary workarounds. But if this new fix actually works, then using the www address will generally be faster and more reliable.
armyofun

Feb 25, 2005, 12:21 AM
This Rich guy is freakin amazing. Rich Brome for prez in '08 😁 😁 😁
JessiCSR

Feb 25, 2005, 11:19 AM
I just got kicked out again. ☚ī¸
JessiCSR

Feb 25, 2005, 7:59 PM
I'm continously getting booted out... đŸ˜ĸ
speedywalk

Feb 25, 2005, 8:19 PM
I keep getting weird messages like:

"ERROR: Invalid message ID or missing message ID" after submitting a post, upon which I am immediately logged out.

Or

"Invalid handle (or name, I don't remember which)" while I'm switching between forums, upon which I am immediately logged out.

Speedywalk
"It ain't broke, it just needs duct tape!"
speedywalk

Feb 25, 2005, 8:42 PM
Also:

I keep hitting "remember" on user name and on password (helped avoid the log out issue) but now it doesn't work. I still get force logged out. I go to log in and my user ID is still "remembered" but the password is gone and so is the password "remember" check mark!

Speedywalk
speedywalk

Feb 25, 2005, 8:49 PM
Actually it is this:

ERROR

Username and/or password missing or blank. Please fill out handle and password fields. Use the Back button on your browser to return to the form and fix the problem.

Speedywalk
Red Dwarf

Mar 2, 2005, 10:03 AM
Saw the other thread about session timeouts and thought I would reply here. It happened to me this morning. ISP is CableOne.

Red Dwarf

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.