Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Carriers Forum change up

raycarroll70

May 3, 2007, 6:29 AM
By any chance Rich was the change in the Carriers section made to reflect the ranking of the wireless carrier as far as the Tier 1 carriers are concerned? The reason I ask Rich is because I noticed the Sprint and the Sprint Together With Nextel are no longer side by side as they were a day ago and it appears the wireless carriers are indeed in order of subscriber numbers.
satch of the moe

May 3, 2007, 8:17 AM
nope ray its because they dont want sprint renmaing nascar to sprint nascar cup instead of nextel cup. also because your sprint underwear scares them.. i am just joking rich and eric just so you know. morning ray.
raycarroll70

May 3, 2007, 1:04 PM
LOL! Good one satch of the moe. Good one. LOL! Yet another day in the wireless maze like scampering rats seeking out their wedges of cheese.
Rich Brome

May 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
Yes. I update the rankings as quarterly numbers come out.

Sprint CDMA: 25.1m
T-Mobile: 25.0m
Sprint iDEN: 16.5m

Please note:
  1. Sprint just issued their Q1 numbers. T-Mobile hasn't issued theirs yet, so when those numbers do come out it may change the ranking again, since it's so close.
  2. I count "PowerSource" customers (hybrid CDMA + iDEN) together with Sprint CDMA. I think that makes the most sense for a number of reasons, even though it's handled through the Nextel brand at the moment.
  3. The order of the carriers is NOT intended to be some kind of official 1-2-3 ranking. It's purely for the sake of having the Tier 1 carriers listed first, since your average visitor is statistically more likely to be looking for o
(continues)
raycarroll70

May 3, 2007, 1:02 PM
I do appreciate your prompt response Rich to my inquiry from earlier this morning. I'd like to think Rich one of the primary reasons in point #2 for including the PowerSource subscribers under Sprint CDMA is because both the voice and data channels are currently carried over the Sprint 1xRTT network (1xEV-DO Rev 0 & Rev A once one of these types launches) while the PTT still goes over the iDEN one.
Rich Brome

May 3, 2007, 1:37 PM
... I'd like to think Rich one of the primary reasons in point #2 for including the PowerSource subscribers under Sprint CDMA is because both the voice and data channels are currently carried over the Sprint 1xRTT network (1xEV-DO Rev 0 & Rev A once one of these types launches) while the PTT still goes over the iDEN one.

That's the technical part of it.

In a broader sense, it's also that PowerSource customers represent successful migrations in phase one of phasing out iDEN.
nextel18

May 4, 2007, 8:28 AM
The next IC902, dual phone, will have DO on it so perhaps Rich will adjust accordingly.
Rich Brome

May 4, 2007, 4:14 PM
I said I already count PowerSource customers as Sprint CDMA customers, so why would that change anything? 😕
nextel18

May 4, 2007, 4:23 PM
Oops. I was just telling the Ray person that they would offer DO phones on the IC platform.
raycarroll70

May 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
LOL! One of our TRSMs from the ATL has been test driving the Motorola ic902 and I was able to view it as well as obtain the final specifications for Sprint. As soon as the ic902 becomes part of our Advantage Club, I plan on getting one.
nextel18

May 7, 2007, 4:12 PM
Nice. Have fun. The device is a lot of fun.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.