Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Sprint.......Hybrids...

Whats my name

Mar 14, 2007, 7:19 PM
Hey Rich

was wondering when/if you had any information on any new Hybrids...??
raycarroll70

Mar 14, 2007, 9:06 PM
Here's some tentative information regarding the 3rd of the PowerSource(formerly referred to as Hybrid) Nextel from Sprint handsets which was taken from:

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/ic902-phone-p_2002.html »

The greatest additions to the Motorola ic902 up from both the ic402 as well as ic502(BTW ic=iDEN-CDMA):

1. has 2.0 megapixel intergrated camera with digital zoom
2. has the ability to run on Sprint's 1xEV-DO Rev A(Power Vision)/1xRTT(Vision) data networks
3. has a microSD slot for multimedia storage
4. has the ability to play/record/stream video

The FCC's approval of the Motorola ic902:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/Vie ... »...
(continues)
Q_Q_Q

Mar 14, 2007, 9:18 PM
so, hybrid is the fusion between sprint and nextel?? these phones can use both services or something like that?
raycarroll70

Mar 14, 2007, 10:26 PM
The current Nextel from Sprint PowerSource handsets work on the Sprint CDMA 1xRTT data and voice network as well as the 1xEV-DO Rev 0(ic902 if/when launched) data network. All three(ic402, ic502, ic902) all use the iDEN network still for PTT. As far as the CDMA voice network is concerned, all three are strictly PCS(1.9 GHz).
One of the advantages of these handsets is the fact they will alleviate quite a bit of the iDEN network congestion in various markets by shifting voice traffic over from the iDEN network to Sprint's PCS one while still preserving the PTT via the iDEN network so many Nextel customers rely upon for instant communication.
What I'm looking forward to is for Motorola and Sprint to sit down together in an R&D ses...
(continues)
jrfdsf

Mar 15, 2007, 5:25 PM
I would like to see this too, but from what I've heard, the reason it wasn't introduced with the two original powersource phones is because of IDEN interference issues.

You see, even though Nextel is only being utilized for the PTT feature, it still interferes slightly with anything nearby in that frequency range. This of course is evident if you've ever used a cordless phone next to a Nextel phone.

This isn't a problem with PCS+IDEN. The two don't interfere with one another because they are in completely different ranges. This of course, isn't to say that it's impossible to combine the three, but probably too expensive and unlikely.

More likely is a Q-Chat phone that is CDMA based and can roam in the 800 and 1900 ranges. We'll have...
(continues)
raycarroll70

Mar 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
correction...
the ic902 will be able to run on the Sprint 1xEV-DO Rev 0 network as well as the 1xRTT one. I said 1xEV-DO Rev A by mistake. Sorry
krickt

Mar 15, 2007, 9:48 AM
LOL, I'll bet that they stop calling them "hybrid" cars soon. The next buzz word for cars will be multi-fueled alternatives or something that can be abreviated in a snappy way. I'm looking into getting a hybrid, but I don't like how much weight the batteries add. Right now, it would be nice to get a car (and I'm told that most new cars can do this) that can run on E 85 or E 90 and gasoline (not at the same time, well, no more than regular gas has in it.)
not2brite

Mar 15, 2007, 10:36 AM
raycarroll70, what are you and Sprint gonna call them when you change you marketing again...and again?

Actually is a good generic name...
raycarroll70

Mar 15, 2007, 11:10 AM
I love the names we're using for the various PowerSource handsets, calling a ic402 the Blend and the Buzz for the ic502. It'll be interesting what the ic902 will be called. I like the name the Blast.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.