Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 29 replies

I used to like this site more...

aviduzer

Mar 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
...when Phone Scoop wasn't so big. I liked it more when Phone Scoop was the first to show phones that came out... long before the carrier even hinted about it.

Now it is just one big place that reviews current phones and brings in gossip from uneducated people.

I guess as a company grows it needs to be careful in the legal perspective. But I just wish phonescoop.com would come back, continue what it started, and be the "ultimate sneak preview" site for upcoming phones.

Right now, I am visiting "other sites" (that I won't mention) more frequently. Even though they are less reliable. I will continue to go to them and not phone scoop because they are more responsive to those who really want to know about upcoming phones B...
(continues)
newfette

Mar 9, 2007, 1:06 PM
I agree but you can't stop change
Rich Brome

Mar 9, 2007, 6:26 PM
Our commitment to accurate, timely, cutting-edge info hasn't changed. We still strive to be first to bring you any and all good, accurate, reliable info we possibly can.

Our first priority is always you, our readers. We don't kowtow to the carriers and manufacturers just to make them happy.

When we can work with the companies to bring you better info sooner, we do. There are things we know and products we have that we can't talk about yet. We agree to those conditions only because when the time comes and the embargo lifts, we will be able to bring you more, better info sooner, because we had that advance access.

It's also important to note that such NDA / embargo agreements only apply to what the company tells us directly. There hav...
(continues)
aviduzer

Mar 9, 2007, 8:19 PM
Hate to break it to you, but the information that is put out by phonescoop is waaay too late.

You really don't have that much "exclusive" stuff to keep quiet about till "they're ready".

I understand you want completeness and thoroughness on your phones, but the way it is going.... you might as well just wait till the phone gets released. You'll have all the information you want...and you won't have to bother yourself with other companies.

(That's the way it feels anyway.)

Waiting for other sites to "leak" information is unacceptable. I think that that is a poor excuse as to "when" you can express information.

1. If I were to change this site, I would either put a gossip section in and (make a disclaimer of course )

OR

(continues)
Rich Brome

Mar 9, 2007, 10:32 PM
I don't think I explained myself well... 😕

There is NO interesting, reliable information that we just sit on by choice. Why would we do that? 😕

Rumors float around all the time, and we do have a "Rumor Mill" forum specifically for that.

If we have "secret" information under embargo or NDA, it's information that we simply wouldn't have - or wouldn't be able to confirm - otherwise. And as I said, if we can find info on that same thing from another reliable source, we'll go ahead and publish that right away.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 9, 2007, 10:42 PM
so theyre giving you the info on the condition that you dont tell anyone right?
Rich Brome

Mar 9, 2007, 11:07 PM
Correct. If it's an advance copy of a press release, for example, it gives us time to ask questions, write something good, and be able to publish our coverage at the moment the announcement is actually made.

It's certainly not something that happens every day. It depends on the situation. Some companies reach out to us regularly with embargoed info. Some companies won't do it at all, while others will, but only if we know something's coming up and we ask.
Kagehiru

Mar 10, 2007, 1:05 PM
Which is nothing unusual. In the computer hardware review sites this is done all the time. And usually, it is only the reputable sites that have made a good name for themselves that are priviliged to advanced copies. That Rich and Eric are extended this courtesy/privilige from manufacturers is a testament to the quality of their site.
aviduzer

Mar 10, 2007, 2:15 PM
...you're absolutely right. In fact, I do hold phonescoop to be one of the best sites EVER for reviews and specs of phones.

But I don't want you to only review phones. ...that's not WHY I started visiting this site to begin with.

I want to know what is upcoming.

My only point is, is that it doesn't really do that anymore. Sure you have information about the phones long ago. ...but now you have been swayed by companies... swayed by money to not release the information like you used to. (Those are the only two plausible reasons that I could come up with.)

You can tell me a million times that this is not true. That it is for the integrity of the site. But I have noticed a change.

Regarding your Osbourne Effect, whe...
(continues)
krickt

Mar 10, 2007, 2:56 PM
Releasing info is one thing, but where do you think the info comes from in the first place. From the carriers, no where else. Things have changed, the carriers aren't giving out info like they used to, and those other sites are more speculative than accurate. Rich could publish lots of unfounded crap and call it journalism, but he doesn't. I prefer the way he does things to the way some of the other sites do. (my humble, or not so humble sometimes, opinion)
Rich Brome

Mar 12, 2007, 10:50 AM
...but now you have been swayed by companies... swayed by money to not release the information like you used to. (Those are the only two plausible reasons that I could come up with.)

You can tell me a million times that this is not true.

It's not true. It's not true. It's not true. It's not true. It's not true. It's not true. 😉

It's really isn't, but on the money part, you're especially mistaken. We would probably make more money if we did publish rumors.

Rumors are interesting and fun, so they bring traffic, which grows the site and brings more ad dollars. That's why I don't blame the sites that do publish them; there's a very real market and demand for that. We've simply chosen a different ...
(continues)
katrina

Mar 12, 2007, 5:41 PM
Don't listen to the "haters" Rich, phonescoop is the best at what it does and and I guess some people are just mad because it can't "please all of the people all of the time"
aviduzer

Mar 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
OK Rich. I love this site...that's why I cared enough to write those things. ...but I will take your word for it and listen to what you say.

Good Luck then.
🙂
Q_Q_Q

Mar 10, 2007, 10:33 AM
well why would the carriers and manufacturers want to keep new phones under wraps? you would think theyd want to let the consumers know wahts coming so they can buy it when it comes out right?
Rich Brome

Mar 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
That's pretty simple. In technology, it's called the Osbourne Effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect »

Basically, if you announce future (and presumably better) products too soon, no one will buy the current products.
krickt

Mar 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
That's the theory. Also, if you announce that you are going to release something really cool, and then the testing doesn't prove out, or the manufacturer can't keep up with demand, customers will leave in droves. (iPhone for a very recent potential example)
Rich Brome

Mar 10, 2007, 11:51 AM
Absolutely. And in this industry, product delays are the norm, so promising a product at a date more than three months in the future is practically a sure-fire way to create disappointment and frustration. Practically every phone gets delayed in testing at some point, and a phone getting outright canceled isn't all that rare, either.

...all good reasons for a carrier to keep quiet about a phone until the last possible minute.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
i got you now, kinda like how it goes in the video game world right?where deadlines keep getting pushed then when it finally hits the streets no one even remembers that it was announced?
krickt

Mar 10, 2007, 12:01 PM
Exactly, and irresponsible reporting of potentially nonexistant or inexact specs of phones is detrimental to a site like this. You could be more like "the other guys" and have less credibility, or you could be the great place for information that you are.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 10, 2007, 12:08 PM
yeah you guys are the best site for cell news and information, evrytime i hear someone talking about a new phone or something they always say they heard it here, i even suggest this site to my customers when they want more info on a phone 😁 ill agree with everyone and say keep up the good work it makes our jobs easier
Crapbag

Mar 10, 2007, 5:28 PM
This easy to show with the Iphones eminent release. We have customers regularly coming in to look at pdas and deciding to wait on the Iphone rather than purchase something available today. Its rather frustrating.
Q_Q_Q

Mar 10, 2007, 5:56 PM
ill bet that damn phone is going to be all hype, by the time they finally get it out everyone will realize that its not what they need and go with something else
krickt

Mar 12, 2007, 9:55 AM
Amen!
katrina

Mar 12, 2007, 5:49 PM
Yep I work at a totally different company and people ask me every day when the iPhone is coming out.
alejandro

Mar 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
I just think this guy is crazy, there is nothing better than phonescoop. Maybe he should start his own site if he thinks it's so easy. All the normal people appreciate the hard work you guys do.
Rich Brome

Mar 9, 2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for that. We do try our best.

I do hear the feedback, though, that we could bring your guys more info, sooner. Certainly it can't hurt to try! 🙂
coldconfession13

Mar 12, 2007, 12:08 PM
I am suprised there isnt any news on the new BLackberry 8300. Boy genius site has everything on it so far I'm suprised no review on this site. I love this site though keep up the good work guys
Rich Brome

Mar 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
BG claims to have one. We don't have one, nor to we have a way to confirm what he's said about it.

It could be an elaborate hoax. I don't think it is, but I can't confirm that it's not.

Therefore, it's technically a rumor, and we don't publish rumors as "news".
coldconfession13

Mar 12, 2007, 12:21 PM
ha ha I was going to finish that part in my post i just didnt snap. Glad this site is more confirmed news than rumored.
coldconfession13

Mar 13, 2007, 8:09 AM
I can assure you right now my source says his source works for RIM and there is a such model so my source will be getting it and I'll be seeing it in person 🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.