Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Browsing Oddity

captainplooky

Feb 26, 2007, 11:22 PM
I browse with Firefox 2.0.0.2.

I've noticed, in particular thread (I'm unsure if it has/is occurring in others), that some of the comments I have read are reverting back to appear as though I have not read them.

I haven't cleared my browsing history.

I was curious if anyone else had noticed this or if anyone had guess as to what is happening.

At first I was crazy, but it seems like (could be wrong) that more of the comments are reverting back as time goes by.

Regardless, I'm sure they are reverting and I'm not crazy.
txsolitaire

Feb 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
its just one particular thread?
captainplooky

Feb 27, 2007, 7:42 PM
As far as I can tell.

I've thought it was happening elsewhere, but never really could be sure.
robtheman

Feb 26, 2007, 11:48 PM
captainplooky said:
Regardless, I'm sure they are reverting and I'm not crazy.

I'm not. 👀
Rich Brome

Feb 27, 2007, 2:32 AM
captainplooky said:
...appear as though I have not read them....

I assume that you mean the links to such messages appear bold and dark blue, instead of not bold and lighter blue, correct?

If so, that's strictly a function of your browser.

Our site doesn't actually remember which messages you've read or not.

We only tell your browser what visited vs. not visited links should look like. When it's a link to a forum message, we instruct the browser to add bold for unread (not visited) messages, since visited vs. not visited is more important in that context, but either way, it's up to the browser to track which links have been visited or not and apply our defined styles as appropriate.

If it only ap...
(continues)
everman

Feb 27, 2007, 7:35 AM
That happened to me as well with AOL. I am just using Internet Explorer 7 from now on. I hate AOL but I have to appease my woman.
captainplooky

Feb 27, 2007, 7:43 PM
Were you able to determine the cause of the issue?
everman

Feb 28, 2007, 8:44 AM
No. I know rick about computers.
captainplooky

Feb 27, 2007, 7:41 PM

I assume that you mean the links to such messages appear bold and dark blue, instead of not bold and lighter blue, correct?

Yes, that is correct.

If it only applies to one thread, then it may be a glitch we can do something about.

It's happening in Eric's Cingular thread.

At first, I thought I was imagining things. Then I realized that I was not, especially when some responses I had even wrote were in bold.

I haven't confirmed it happening elsewhere as far as I can tell.

Our site doesn't actually remember which messages you've read or not.

However, if it might be a limitation of Firefox 2's history function (such as some maximum of days or l
(continues)
Rich Brome

Feb 27, 2007, 7:52 PM
captainplooky said:
...some responses I had even wrote were in bold.

That's actually normal. You have to actually go back and view your own message after you post it for it to be considered "read" by the browser. I know that's not exactly intuitive, but it's the way it works at the moment.
Q_Q_Q

Feb 27, 2007, 9:54 PM
here's a new one, every time i link through the replies in the your account link i get kicked out, it never fails either... any thoughts?
Rich Brome

Feb 27, 2007, 10:22 PM
Could you be more specific? What, specifically, do you mean by "the replies in the your account link" and "kicked out"?
Q_Q_Q

Feb 27, 2007, 10:57 PM
like when i go to the link for my account and click on one of the subscribed threads it takes me to the thread and logs me out at the same time
Rich Brome

Feb 27, 2007, 11:10 PM
I can't duplicate that in any common browser. Weird... 😕

What browser are you using? Are you accessing the main site address (www, not www1 or www2)? Anything else unusual about your setup or connection?
Q_Q_Q

Feb 28, 2007, 6:53 PM
im using internet explorer it happens at work and at home i tried it last night and it did the same thing to me its the default of www
captainplooky

Feb 28, 2007, 12:02 AM
I had already read them. I always read my response immediately after previewing and posting.

I do that to help replies stand out more.
captainplooky

Mar 4, 2007, 5:10 PM
The situation I described was happening because Firefox was remembering the pages I have visited for 9 days.

After 9 days from an initial visit, it would forget where I had been.

Doh!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.