Trump Administration Says No Plans for Government-Run 5G
The Trump administration today said it has no plans to build a 5G wireless network that might be run by the government. Unnamed White House officials confirmed the administration's position to Recode. The White House was forced to respond after a memo unearthed by Axios suggested Trump had been advised to create a single, nationwide 5G network to protect national security. Recode's sources noted that the memo in question was dated and indicated it had only been proposed by a staff member; the idea was never considered seriously. All five commissioners at the FCC — the agency in charge of managing communications services in the U.S. — decried the idea as wrong-headed.
Dec 31, 2018
President Donald Trump is weighing new action against Chinese telecommunications equipment makers Huawei and ZTE, says Reuters. The President might issue an executive order that would bar U.S.
Jun 20, 2018
ZTE will be the topic of discussion at a meeting today between President Trump and members of the Senate and House of Representatives, reports Reuters. Trump wants to talk about the "problematic" amendment made to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) earlier this week, which will keep certain sanctions against ZTE in place.
Jan 29, 2018
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai today said he disagrees with national security advisors' idea that the government should take control of 5G. "I oppose any proposal for the federal government to build and operate a nationwide 5G network," said Pai in a statement.
Oct 25, 2018
AT&T has partnered with Lookout to create the AT&T Mobile Security app, which it is bringing to iOS devices for the first time beginning today. The app had previously only been available to Android phones.