Apple iPhone 12
Apple Self Service Repair Launches Today
Apple customers can now directly purchase iPhone repair kits and genuine Apple replacement parts for iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and the newest iPhone SE. Apple announced Self Service Repair in November 2021 and Google and Samsung have since announced similar programs.
Apple Launches Self Service Repair for iPhones
Apple has announced a new program that will allow consumers to repair their own iPhones using Apple genuine parts and tools. Initially, Self Service Repair will support display, battery, and camera repairs for the iPhone 12 and 13 lineups. A new Apple Self Service Repair Online Store will be available early next year in the US, offering "more than 200 individual parts and tools" to enable such repairs. Later in 2022, the company will expand the program to include additional types of iPhone repairs, as well as Macs with M1 chips. Detailed repair manuals are provided as part of the program. After a repair, "customers who return their used part for recycling will receive credit toward their purchase." Apple stresses that "Self Service Repair is intended for individual technicians with the knowledge and experience to repair electronic devices. For the vast majority of customers, visiting a professional ... is the safest and most reliable way to get a repair." Professional iPhone repairs are available at over 5,000 Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASPs) and 2,800 Independent Repair Providers. This new move by Apple comes as the US Federal Trade Commission takes a more aggressive stance on "right to repair" laws and regulations.
Anker's New MagSafe Chargers Offer New Form Factors
Anker has launched MagGo, a new line of wireless chargers compatible with Apple's MagSafe magnetic wireless charging system, introduced with the iPhone 12 series. The MagGo lineup includes several unique new designs.
- The 623 Magnetic Wireless Charger is a dual charger with a simple, stylish design, ideal for a nightstand. The compact cylinder shape has a top pad that tilts up to 60º and can hold an iPhone 12 or 13 vertically or horizontally while charging it at 7.5 watts. When the top part is tilted, a second charging pad is exposed that can charge a wireless earbuds case at 5 watts. The 623 is available in dark gray, white, Misty Blue, or Lilac Purple. It's available now for $80.
- The 637 Magnetic Charging Station is a multi-function wireless and wired charging hub designed to live on your desk. Like the 623, it can charge an iPhone wirelessly at 7.5 watts while holding it up an angle. On the back are two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, and three AC outlets. The USB-C ports support USB-PD up to 65 watts, for quickly charging devices as large as laptops. It's available now for $100, in dark gray, white, or Misty Blue.
- The 633 Magnetic Wireless Charger is a 2-in-1 charging stand with removable magnetic battery. Like the other models, it can wirelessly charge an iPhone at 7.5 watts while holding it at an angle, in either vertical or horizontal orientation. A second pad in the base can charge an earbuds case at 5 watts. The main charger can be removed from the stand and used as a portable 5,000 mAh power bank. On the go, it provides magnetic wireless charging as well as USB-C charging at up to 12 watts. It will run $120 when it goes on sale in early December. It will also come in dark gray, white, or Misty Blue.
Mophie's New Chargers Bring Magnetic Mounting To All Qi Phones
Mophie today announced the Snap+ line of iPhone- and Qi-compatible wireless chargers. They feature magnetic mounting, compatible with Apple's new MagSafe system on iPhone 12. However they also include an adaptor ring that adds the same magnet-mount functionality to any phone with wireless charging using the ubiquitous Qi standard. Available today are the basic snap+ wireless charger, a small disc that can provide up to 7.5W wireless charging to an iPhone, or 15W to other Qi phones. It runs $35. Also available starting today, for $50 each, are a car vent mount model, and the snap+ juice pack mini, a 5,000 mAh battery pack with wireless charging. Also available for $30 is the snap vent mount, which enables magnetic mount to a car vent, without the wireless charging. Later this summer/fall, Mophie will also offer angled stand versions of the desktop charger and battery back. The snap+ wireless stand (shown) is just like the snap+ wireless charger but with an angled stand, for $60. The snap+ powerstation stand will offer a huge 10,000 mAh battery for $70, with a built-in adjustable stand. In addition to wireless charging, it can charge another device via USB-C PD at up to 20W. The new products will be available at mophie.com, as well as AT&T, Best Buy, Staples, and Verizon.
Apple Updates iPhone 12 Pricing
Apple has revised its pricing for the iPhone 12 and 12 mini for T-Mobile, matching the $30 "instant discount" for AT&T and Verizon that puts the starting price at $799 and $699, respectively. That means iPhone 12 series pricing is now the same for all major US carriers. The iPhone 12 and 12 mini do not come with the instant discount when purchased "SIM-free". That means an effective $30 premium for purchasing an iPhone 12 or 12 mini SIM-free. The iPhone 12 Pro models have consistent pricing across carrier and SIM-free options.
Apple Intros Four 5G iPhones
Apple today announced the iPhone 12 series, the company's largest lineup of new iPhones to date. All four new models share same new design with flat metal sides and thinner bezels than previous iPhones. All four also include a bevy of high-end features, including:
- A14 Bionic chip, made with a bleeding-edge 5nm process that offers better performance and efficiency. It has 11.8 billion transistors and offers 50% faster graphics performance and 70% faster machine learning computations.
- 5G, including mmWave in US models.
- Super Retina XDR OLED displays, offering HDR and ~460 ppi sharpness.
- "Ceramic Shield" display glass from Corning that Apple claims is the toughest of any smartphone.
- MagSafe for iPhone, a new magnet system that aligns wireless charging coils, (which have been upgraded to support 15W fast wireless charging,) and supports snap-on magnetic cases and accessories.
- A new 12 megapixel main camera with a 7-element lens and f/1.6 aperture, for 27% better low-light performance.
- Advanced camera app features like Night Mode now work with all cameras, including wide-angle and selfie cameras. Also new is a Night mode Time-lapse feature.
- Water resistance.
- iPhone 12: The same 6.1-inch screen size as the iPhone 11, but upgraded to the same "Super Retina XDR" OLED technology as the Pro models. The new design fits a 6.1-inch display into a body that's lighter and 15% smaller. The secondary camera is a 12 megapixel "ultra wide" camera similar to that on the iPhone 11. Apple is offering five color options: black, white, Product Red, green, and blue. Available October 23rd for $799 with any major US carrier, or $829 unlocked.
- iPhone 12 mini: All the features of the standard iPhone 12 in a smaller body with a 5.4-inch display. Apple claims it's the smallest, thinnest, lightest 5G phone in the world. Available November 13th for $699 with any major US carrier, or $729 unlocked.
- iPhone 12 Pro: Similar in size to the standard iPhone 12 with a 6.1-inch display. As with last year's Pro models, the main step-ups are better materials (stainless steel and milled glass) and the addition of a telephoto camera. New is a LiDAR scanner, which aids low-light focusing and AR features. A new ProRAW photo format combines the best of Apple's Deep Fusion computational photography with the flexibility of a RAW format. It's also the first phone that can record and edit Dolby Vision HDR video at up to 60 fps and 4K resolution. Color options: silver, Deep Graphite, gold, and Pacific Blue. Available October 23rd starting at $999 with 128 GB of storage.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: Steps up a 6.7-inch display, the largest Apple has put in a phone. The main camera has a 47% larger sensor area and sensor-shift OIS, for 87% better low-light performance. It also upgrades the telephoto lens from 2x to 2.5x, providing 5x optical zoom range across all three rear cameras. Shipping November 13th starting at $1099.