Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 10 replies

use of Cingular in Bagdad? if so which phone?

zfirehairz

Aug 29, 2005, 11:55 AM
I have Cingular service...and need a phone that will work in Bagdad Iraq. Which one...Anyone have suggestions?
Someone please help me, as I don't have a clue.
I figure there is new updated info ?
AshDizzle

Aug 29, 2005, 10:27 PM
As long as it's quad band you will be good. I think Iraq is mainly T-Mobile Middle East, which will use 900 and 1800 MHz towers. V551, Nokia 6230, V3 will all do quad band.
stevelvl

Aug 30, 2005, 12:00 AM
i would recomend going with sprint and the samsung a790. if you want to roam in bagdad it is only 1.50$ a min. if you do not want to get the 790 sprint can also sell you a gsm phone tha twill work over seas. but honestly the 790 is the best phone for any world traveler. you can use cdma in asia and the americas where it is avalible or you can use gsm where that is avalible.

hear is a link for sprints international roaming

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/coverage/internati ... »...
(continues)
AshDizzle

Aug 30, 2005, 5:56 AM
Yeah, that's a better idea, actually.
zfirehairz

Aug 30, 2005, 12:08 AM
Thank you for the information. I will check those out.
rockprc

Aug 30, 2005, 9:45 AM
Forget whatever service you have, cin or t-mo, the cheapest way for cell phones service overseas is to have a "unlocked" GSM handset and get prepaid SIM card locally. Leave your Cingular SIM card at home or you will get a heart attack when you get the bill from them. Read the thread "don't take it with you-internationally".
mrcamp

Aug 31, 2005, 8:48 AM
Do not even think about that sprint route! You already have a GSM phone, if it’s not unlocked, get it unlocked, and get a prepaid sim when you get to Baghdad. Cingular will even give you the unlock code if you tell them you are traveling and you need to use your phone. Roaming on Cingular, sprint or whoever will cost you tons! Think about it, to use sprint’s A790(This phone is hardly selling, that some stores do not even carry the thing), you will have to shell out a whole lot for the phone, and possibly need to sign a contract. That’s totally unnecessary! You already have Cingular service, so you will not need the CDMA part of the phone, and you will hardly need CDMA outside of North America anyway. GSM is used almost everywhere else in the...
(continues)
stevelvl

Aug 31, 2005, 8:13 PM
mrcamp said:
Do not even think about that sprint route! You already have a GSM phone, if it’s not unlocked, get it unlocked, and get a prepaid sim when you get to Baghdad. Cingular will even give you the unlock code if you tell them you are traveling and you need to use your phone. Roaming on Cingular, sprint or whoever will cost you tons! Think about it, to use sprint’s A790(This phone is hardly selling, that some stores do not even carry the thing), you will have to shell out a whole lot for the phone, and possibly need to sign a contract. That’s totally unnecessary! You already have Cingular service, so you will not need the CDMA part of the phone, and you will hardly need CDMA outside of North America anyway. GSM is u
(continues)
sammy2

Aug 31, 2005, 6:39 PM
if are in the military the protocol seems to be that the troops rotating out provide for free or little their local working phones. I spent a lot of time researching what phones and network would work there and then after a couple of weeks there he told us that the troops have it all handled.

My nephew is near Baghdad now as a commander of infantry.
zfirehairz

Aug 31, 2005, 7:39 PM
Thanks Sammy.........but aren't the ones
that are given or charged little for the prepaid kind? I know those are available there.
sammy2

Aug 31, 2005, 8:35 PM
I believe not. These are purchased phones from the local providers that have agreements with our carriers.

I have not spoken with my nephew over the phone. I receive communicatinon via email when he has time (which has not been often). This is in part because he has additional responsibilities and it took some time to get oriented and set up. He only recently got his personal email set up whereas before he was limited to going through the formal channels which was more limited.
I think he is based out of camp Taji although they are often in their field operational site.

If you do want to use your exisiting phone and service you will neeed to talk to them right away well ahead of deployment to set up your worldwide service. Milita...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.